Iceland: scenic driving advice?

Old December 13th, 2015, 06:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

Default Iceland: scenic driving advice?

My next trip is to Iceland for 10-14 days

The generally plan is to circuit the island, close-wise, making forays
to visit glaciers, volcanoes, and other places resulting from research

Does anyone know, are there off-the-beaten path places I should be on
my itinerary? or otherwise, super scenic drives? I've driven in the
highlands of Scotland, and Norway, and am hopeful to see a lot of that
glaciated beauty.

--
Dan Stephenson
http://stepheda.com

Old December 13th, 2015, 07:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"Dan Stephenson" wrote in message
My next trip is to Iceland for 10-14 days

The generally plan is to circuit the island, close-wise, making forays

um, clock-wise?

to visit glaciers, volcanoes, and other places resulting from research

Does anyone know, are there off-the-beaten path places I should be on my
itinerary? or otherwise, super scenic drives? I've driven in the
highlands of Scotland, and Norway, and am hopeful to see a lot of that
glaciated beauty.

The whole of Iceland is off the beaten track :-)

what type of car (bike) will you have?

what type of accommodation do you intend staying in?

are you going to pre book or turn up on the day?

This will make a difference as to how far "off the beaten track" you can go

tim

Old December 13th, 2015, 09:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Don Wiss

On Sun, 13 Dec 2015, Dan Stephenson wrote:

My next trip is to Iceland for 10-14 days

The generally plan is to circuit the island, close-wise, making forays
to visit glaciers, volcanoes, and other places resulting from research

Which guide books have you purchased so far?

Old December 13th, 2015, 10:03 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

On 12/13/15 12:01 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
On Sun, 13 Dec 2015, Dan Stephenson wrote:

My next trip is to Iceland for 10-14 days

The generally plan is to circuit the island, close-wise, making forays
to visit glaciers, volcanoes, and other places resulting from research

Which guide books have you purchased so far?

Do people still buy guide books?

Or jsut print out some web sites?
Old December 14th, 2015, 10:12 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Sun, 13 Dec 2015, Dan Stephenson wrote:

My next trip is to Iceland for 10-14 days

Hopefully not this season.

The generally plan is to circuit the island ...

Does anyone know, are there off-the-beaten path places I should be on
my itinerary? or otherwise, super scenic drives?

AFAIK (I do not drive and I did a coach tour with a small group)
travelling in Iceland out of the main ring road requires special driving
skills and proper cars (at least 4WD), or travelling in groups (e.g. if
one has to cross a ford over a stream with sudden changes in the water
flow)

Also I am not sure how easy is to find accomodation unless you have
booked. The population is very sparse. In towns during summer
accomodation is offered in school dormitories.

Anyhow all the standard ring road (and sites near to it like the main
Geyser or Thingvellir or lake Myvatn) is scenic enough. Do not miss
Jokulsarlon, lake Myvatn, and the numerous waterfalls.
Old December 14th, 2015, 08:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"poldy" wrote in message ...
On 12/13/15 12:01 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
On Sun, 13 Dec 2015, Dan Stephenson wrote:

My next trip is to Iceland for 10-14 days

The generally plan is to circuit the island, close-wise, making forays
to visit glaciers, volcanoes, and other places resulting from research

Which guide books have you purchased so far?

Do people still buy guide books?

Or jsut print out some web sites?

If you know of a web site[1] that's anywhere near as good as the average
guide book, please tell me

tim

[1[ Generic one, not one simply for Iceland

Old December 14th, 2015, 08:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"Giovanni Drogo" wrote in message
news:alpine.LSU.2.00.1512140957240.16646@cbfrvqba. ynzoengr.vans.vg...
On Sun, 13 Dec 2015, Dan Stephenson wrote:

My next trip is to Iceland for 10-14 days

Hopefully not this season.

The generally plan is to circuit the island ...

Does anyone know, are there off-the-beaten path places I should be on my
itinerary? or otherwise, super scenic drives?

AFAIK (I do not drive and I did a coach tour with a small group)

I drove

the main ring road is easy peezy and will show you 90% of what Iceland has
to offer

Though you need to watch the Insurance. Even with CDR damage to the
underframe and windscreen is still not covered.

travelling in Iceland out of the main ring road requires special driving
skills and proper cars (at least 4WD),

which is why I asked him what type of car

or travelling in groups (e.g. if
one has to cross a ford over a stream with sudden changes in the water
flow)

Also I am not sure how easy is to find accomodation unless you have
booked. The population is very sparse. In towns during summer accomodation
is offered in school dormitories.

I suspect that he might be wanting to camp, hence the reason I asked that.
But I agree, turn up at lodgings [1] on the day without pre-booking is
likely not to be 100% successful, and with the next "town" 4 hours away you
are going to be stuffed.

Anyhow all the standard ring road (and sites near to it like the main
Geyser or Thingvellir or lake Myvatn) is scenic enough. Do not miss
Jokulsarlon, lake Myvatn, and the numerous waterfalls.

The only place out of the way, doable in a normal car [2] that the guide
books rate as interesting, is the Island of Flatey.

But looking at the pictures I can't see why, and with only 2 ferries a day
requiring pre-booking (for cars) timing your trip is going to be tricky.

It might be better to leave the car on the dock and make the round trip as a
ped. 2 weeks gives you enough time to do this, 1 week doesn't (unless you
skip the north and East of the Island which would be a real shame) (note
that I am not personally recommending it as I didn't go there - you have to
do your own further research)

tim

[1] I use that word as in many locations, that's as good as it gets

[2] In the sense that you can take the car on the ferry from one port and
convey it onto another. You can't use it to drive around the island.

Old December 14th, 2015, 08:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

On 12/14/15 11:06 AM, tim..... wrote:

"poldy" wrote in message ...
On 12/13/15 12:01 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
On Sun, 13 Dec 2015, Dan Stephenson wrote:

My next trip is to Iceland for 10-14 days

The generally plan is to circuit the island, close-wise, making forays
to visit glaciers, volcanoes, and other places resulting from research

Which guide books have you purchased so far?

Do people still buy guide books?

Or jsut print out some web sites?

If you know of a web site[1] that's anywhere near as good as the average
guide book, please tell me

tim

[1[ Generic one, not one simply for Iceland

Maybe not as good but good enough. Though Frommers seem to have a lot
of the content from their books.

With possibly more current info.

And there are dozens of sites.
Old December 15th, 2015, 12:15 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"poldy" wrote in message ...
On 12/14/15 11:06 AM, tim..... wrote:

"poldy" wrote in message
On 12/13/15 12:01 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
On Sun, 13 Dec 2015, Dan Stephenson wrote:

My next trip is to Iceland for 10-14 days

The generally plan is to circuit the island, close-wise, making forays
to visit glaciers, volcanoes, and other places resulting from research

Which guide books have you purchased so far?

Do people still buy guide books?

Or jsut print out some web sites?

If you know of a web site[1] that's anywhere near as good as the average
guide book, please tell me

tim

[1[ Generic one, not one simply for Iceland

Maybe not as good but good enough. Though Frommers seem to have a lot of
the content from their books.

well, whilst it is better than the ones I have found previously....

for France you should spend 1 day in the Loire and visit 3 castles before
moving on - Hm

With possibly more current info.

And there are dozens of sites.

many of which have a paucity of information restricted to "whilst in County
X spend some time in the capital Y, oh and you might like to visit Z as
well"

tim

Old December 15th, 2015, 01:52 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Don Wiss

On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 13:03:58 -0800, poldy wrote:

Do people still buy guide books?

Absolutely. Very convenient to carry around.

Or jsut print out some web sites?

You can print out all you want. But they will not have as much, or be as
organized as an inexpensive 384 page guide book. And clumsy to manage while
on the trip.

The Lonely Planet one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1743214758
Is only $15.70. A pretty minor expense considering what the entire trip
will cost. And if you want to be cheap, you can preview most of the book on
Amazon.