Welcome Home Tom & Charles!!!

Old September 17th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Jean O'Boyle

Default Welcome Home Tom & Charles!!!

Will be waiting to hear how your cruise to Bermuda went and the condition
that you found the Zenith this time!

--Jean

Old September 17th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Tom K

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in message
m...
Will be waiting to hear how your cruise to Bermuda went and the condition
that you found the Zenith this time!

--Jean

Just got in. Had a great time. Golfed 3 days (we sailed the evening of the
3rd day so we had 2 days at sea coming home). While there were no weather
threats around Bermuda, I think the Captain just wanted to give himself
space and time to react if he needed to. Getting us closer to home by
Thursday evening gave him flexibility if he needed to change course - which
fortunately he didn't need to so. So on Friday we just sailed about 9 knots
back toward NY.

Seas were overall on the "normal" side. It is the Atlantic, so it's not as
calm as the Caribbean. But it wasn't bad. It was actually rougher going
than returning, even though Ophelia was out there. Coming back yesterday we
saw some massive cloud patterns curved in the sky - which were most
certainly the spiraling cloud patterns from Ophelia.

Ship is about like it was. She needs some upgrades - like the phone system,
the computers in the library, etc. She's not the brightest star out
there... but on Front Street in Hamilton and at the little wharf area in St.
Georges, she's still a Grand Queen. And with the smaller size crew and
smaller number of passengers, she can offer some of the intimacy lost on the
huge ships. Like Pacific Princess did.

Food was quite a bit better than Constellation's food in Europe. Much
better fish, which I am feeling more and more certain is a function of the
provisions available in different parts of the world.

The best meal all week was actually up in the casual dining restaurant which
is held in the buffet, on the starboard side. And I think there may be a
certain logic to that as well... it's easier to make a quality meal for 30
people than for 1400. The reason I went there was I didn't return from
golfing until about 7:30 that evening. I ordered the fish and it was
superb. Much better than any of the fish in the main dining room.

Weather was in the mid 90's in the early afternoon. Cooler in the morning
and evenings. Still muggy and sticky though.

Played golf 3 times as I said. Played Riddell's Bay (forgot the score card
on the cart so I don't know what I shot), then I played Port Royal (which is
"supposed" to be one of the harder courses on the island) and did extremely
well, for me - shot a 79. The 3rd day the pro from the ship got me a
starting time at Mid-Ocean country club.... Big time difference there...
they've held PGA tournaments there. It was a course designed for pros.
There were shots over water (250 yard carry with wind in your face) that I
simply couldn't reach even with my best shots. We did play from the Blue
tees which made it even harder. I was hitting the ball as well as the day I
shot 79 at Port Royal, and ended up shooting a 103 at Mid-Ocean. OUCH!!!
There was one hole, where I was in so much trouble... I ended up one putting
to save a 10.

I talked with the Captain's Club hostess and got us dinner one night at the
Staff Captain's table.

While I was golfing, Charles hit the beach and said the water was perfect.

On sea days, we attended wine blending (which I found much more unique than
the wine tasting I've previously done). Kendal Jackson sent them the 6
original pure component wines that they later blend to make their cabernet
sauvignon "Reserve". So they gave us pipettes and we were able to mix (with
instructions from the head sommelier) to see how subtle things from one
component offset some negative trait of another component. We also went to
the high tea, the back stage tour, and CC Elite cocktail party.

Sue W is on this coming week's sailing. I dropped her name with the CC
hostess. Sue, I'm sure you're boarding by now (almost noon), and won't be
able to read this... but I hope you and your gang have a wonderful sailing.

--Tom

Old September 17th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Jean O'Boyle

"Tom K" wrote in message

Just got in. Had a great time. Golfed 3 days (we sailed the evening of
the 3rd day so we had 2 days at sea coming home). While there were no
weather threats around Bermuda, I think the Captain just wanted to give
himself space and time to react if he needed to. Getting us closer to
home by Thursday evening gave him flexibility if he needed to change
course - which fortunately he didn't need to so. So on Friday we just
sailed about 9 knots back toward NY.

Sounds as if you really filled your days and had a good time with the amount
of time that you had!
Ophelia is supposed to be heading for the Cape Cod area today!

Ship is about like it was. She needs some upgrades - like the phone
system, the computers in the library, etc. She's not the brightest star
out there... but on Front Street in Hamilton and at the little wharf area
in St. Georges, she's still a Grand Queen.

Too bad, I like ships her size but am disappointed she is not being
maintained better..You mean they have not replaced the upholstery on the
dining room chairs? Did anything change since we were on her with you in
2003?

While I was golfing, Charles hit the beach and said the water was

perfect.

Hope he writes a version of his trip!

On sea days, we attended wine blending (which I found much more unique
than the wine tasting I've previously done). Kendal Jackson sent them the
6 original pure component wines that they later blend to make their
cabernet sauvignon "Reserve". So they gave us pipettes and we were able
to mix (with instructions from the head sommelier) to see how subtle
things from one component offset some negative trait of another component.
We also went to the high tea, the back stage tour, and CC Elite cocktail
party.

Neat! Never been to a wine blending!

Sue W is on this coming week's sailing. I dropped her name with the CC
hostess. Sue, I'm sure you're boarding by now (almost noon), and won't be
able to read this... but I hope you and your gang have a wonderful
sailing.

I know, I got an e-mail from Kerry this morning telling me that she was
going and I wondered if you two got to see her as you were disembarking!
Glad you had a good cruise and are both safely back home!
--Jean

--Tom

Old September 17th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Tom K

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in message

Ship is about like it was. She needs some upgrades - like the phone
system, the computers in the library, etc. She's not the brightest star
out there... but on Front Street in Hamilton and at the little wharf area
in St. Georges, she's still a Grand Queen.

Too bad, I like ships her size but am disappointed she is not being
maintained better..You mean they have not replaced the upholstery on the
dining room chairs? Did anything change since we were on her with you in
2003?

They've redone upholstery, but it's the same style and patterns. She's
clean... just dated.

She's going into dry dock in a few weeks into Charleston. The crew is
looking forward to having 2 weeks off in Charleston. They're going to re-do
decking and other things like that.

We heard she was being "discussed" for repositioning to NOLA for housing
assistance (as early as this coming week in fact), but that doesn't look
like it will happen (at least for now).

I know, I got an e-mail from Kerry this morning telling me that she was
going and I wondered if you two got to see her as you were disembarking!

No luck seeing Sue. But we were off by 9:30 and headed home by 10:15.
Charles was able to catch a 10:40 Amtrak train from Metropark.

--Tom

Old September 17th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Charles

In article , Jean
O'Boyle wrote:

Hope he writes a version of his trip!

Not much to add. I also had a great time. In my opinion the ship was in
pretty good shape for it's age. I think it is being maintained. There
will be a two week drydock in October. It is not the latest mega liner
with balconies and the lastest amenities but a very comfortable smaller
ship. It is a very good ship for Bermuda, I would book it agian to
Bermuda but it probably is not a ship I would book on other
itineraries. The food was very good in the dining room and buffet. They
have added fresh waffle stations at breakfast and sushi in the evening
since the last time I was on Zenith a few years ago. I can't think of
one meal that was not very good. I enjoyed dining at the Staff Captains
table. Michaels club is now a Piano Bar. They had two piano players,
one at Michaels and another at the Cova. The production shows were
better than usual. September does not have many children on board.
Hurricanes and their effect on an itinerary are a concern in September.

--
Charles
Old September 17th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Welcome home Charles and Tom!

It sounds like you both had a very good cruise. I agree the Zenith is
great for Bermuda, but I wouldn't take it anywhere else.

sue
Old September 17th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Jean O'Boyle

"Charles" wrote in message
d...
, I would book it agian to
Bermuda but it probably is not a ship I would book on other
itineraries. The food was very good in the dining room and buffet. They
have added fresh waffle stations at breakfast and sushi in the evening
since the last time I was on Zenith a few years ago. I can't think of
one meal that was not very good. I enjoyed dining at the Staff Captains
table. Michaels club is now a Piano Bar. They had two piano players,
one at Michaels and another at the Cova. The production shows were
better than usual. September does not have many children on board.
Hurricanes and their effect on an itinerary are a concern in September.

One of my favorite places was the Cova..the gold flecked tapestry of the
furniture made it bright and pleasant..and I sure am happy Michael's Club
was made a Piano Bar...When we were on the Zenith, the smelly old cigar odor
oozed out of there and permeated the library and internet next door...The
doors to Michael's Club were always open. Did they make any changes around
the pursers' desk?

Thanks for the info on the new additions...maybe when they put her in
dry-dock for two weeks in October, they will do even more and we might
consider her again for Bermuda...Although I would like to try the Horizon,
too...Too many ships and so little time!
How was the snorkeling, Charles?..Tom said that you thought the water was
perfect.
Glad you're back!

--Jean

Old September 17th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Charles

In article , Jean
O'Boyle wrote:

Did they make any changes around the pursers' desk?

That area is the same. It would be difficult to change.

Although I would like to try the Horizon,
too...Too many ships and so little time!

You have only a few more weeks to try the Horizon. It was sold a while
ago and will be gone from Celebrity in a few weeks.

How was the snorkeling, Charles?..Tom said that you thought the water was
perfect.

The beaches were pretty good. I hit Horseshoe both days from Hamilton.
The water temperature and weather was excellent. Also a new tip on the
buses. Since I was only going to beaches, not taking the ferry or
getting on and off buses more than one round trip a day I saved by
buying bus tokens instead of the three day bus pass. The tokens are
$2.50 a trip so I only spent $12 on transportation for the three days
in Bermuda. ($2 was for the dollar rides back up the hill from
Horseshoe)

As far as snorkeling. I did the East End snorkeling again the day at
St. Goerge. They took us to a different snorkeling site than last time.
While it was a nice boat ride to the site in perfect weather, and the
water was nice, the snorkeling was poor. There were some large Parrot
fish and a few other fish to be seen but not much coral. I would not
recommend this excursion anymore because since they are going to this
different snorkeling site except possibly for first time snorkelers
because they do give a very good snorkeling lesson and it starts in
shallow water. They did say they vary the site they go to depending on
weather but since the conditions were close to perfect I don't know why
they did not go to the other site as before.

--
Charles
Old September 17th, 2005, 11:17 PM
Tom K

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in message
m...

I can't think of
one meal that was not very good. I enjoyed dining at the Staff Captains
table. Michaels club is now a Piano Bar. They had two piano players,
one at Michaels and another at the Cova.

One of the piano players (George) was great to chat with. He's play
requests, reminisce about past Broadway musicals, etc.

The other was much more talented... but just possibly may have done a "bit"
too much acid way back when... He was playing some wonderful jazz the first
night... but was playing very quiet stuff the second night.... putting
everyone to sleep. I asked him if he'd "play some jazz like he did
yesterday"... and he mumbled something about not being able to remember
yesterday. Another time, he was playing... when suddenly his head started
looking around (the hands kept moving... he didn't need music) and he
mumbled "It's moving!"... And another day I asked him to play Moondance
(Van Morrison) and he said "That's not a song that can be intelligently
played on the piano!" IIRC there was piano in the original recording.

The production shows were
better than usual. September does not have many children on board.
Hurricanes and their effect on an itinerary are a concern in September.

One of my favorite places was the Cova..the gold flecked tapestry of the
furniture made it bright and pleasant..and I sure am happy Michael's Club
was made a Piano Bar...When we were on the Zenith, the smelly old cigar
odor oozed out of there and permeated the library and internet next
door...The doors to Michael's Club were always open. Did they make any
changes around the pursers' desk?

Thanks for the info on the new additions...maybe when they put her in
dry-dock for two weeks in October, they will do even more and we might
consider her again for Bermuda...Although I would like to try the Horizon,
too...Too many ships and so little time!

Horizon has been sold (or will be). She'll be gone shortly. Take here off
the list.

--Tom

Old September 17th, 2005, 11:38 PM
Jean O'Boyle

"Tom K" wrote in message

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in message
m...

I can't think of
one meal that was not very good. I enjoyed dining at the Staff Captains
table. Michaels club is now a Piano Bar. They had two piano players,
one at Michaels and another at the Cova.

Who is the Captain of the Zenith?

One of the piano players (George) was great to chat with. He's play
requests, reminisce about past Broadway musicals, etc.
The other was much more talented... but just possibly may have done a
"bit" too much acid way back when... He was playing some wonderful jazz
the first night... but was playing very quiet stuff the second night....
putting everyone to sleep. I asked him if he'd "play some jazz like he
did yesterday"... and he mumbled something about not being able to
remember yesterday. Another time, he was playing... when suddenly his
head started looking around (the hands kept moving... he didn't need
music) and he mumbled "It's moving!"... And another day I asked him to
play Moondance (Van Morrison) and he said "That's not a song that can be
intelligently played on the piano!" IIRC there was piano in the original
recording.

That must have been amusing! Sounds as if he was in a world of his own!

Horizon has been sold (or will be). She'll be gone shortly. Take here
off the list.

Now that you and Charles both mention it, I remember reading about that. To
whom was she sold? And where will she be going? Well there is one off the
list...Too bad I think someone said she was more colorful than the
Zenith...Charles got to sail on both of them this summer, didn't he? Maybe
then, the Mercury will have to replace her on my list. Celebrity will not
have many small ships, if they continue this. ;-(

--Jean