My Greece, Italy, Switzerland itinerary

Old February 22nd, 2007, 06:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Henry

Default My Greece, Italy, Switzerland itinerary

My wife and I want to travel to Europe from the middle of May to the
beginning of June. We are not art lovers, but we do appreciate
beautiful works of art and architecture. Our main goal is to get a
taste of Greece, Italy and Switzerland and enjoy the natural beauty.
We are both in our late 20s and are physically fit. Would the
following itinerary be too demanding? We have 17 days to spare and
want to make the most of them.

Thanks for any advice!

Day 1 and 2: fly into Athens from Toronto, Canada
Day 3: sightsee Athens
Day 4: sightsee Athens; boat to Santorini
Day 5: sightsee Santorini
Day 6: sightsee Santorini
Day 7: fly to Rome in morning
Day 8: sightsee Rome
Day 9: sightsee Rome
Day 10: evening train to Florence
Day 11: sightsee Florence
Day 12: evening train to Venice
Day 13: sightsee Venice
Day 14: train to Interlaken, Switzerland
Day 15: sightsee alps
Day 16: sightsee alps
Day 17: fly back to Toronto

The latter half of the itinerary may seem hectic but the train rides
between the major Italian cities are only 3 -4 hrs. I have set aside
one day for the 7-8 train ride from Venice to Interlaken.

Old February 22nd, 2007, 06:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
B Vaughan

On 22 Feb 2007 10:04:22 -0800, "Henry" wrote:

Day 1 and 2: fly into Athens from Toronto, Canada
Day 3: sightsee Athens
Day 4: sightsee Athens; boat to Santorini
Day 5: sightsee Santorini
Day 6: sightsee Santorini
Day 7: fly to Rome in morning
Day 8: sightsee Rome
Day 9: sightsee Rome
Day 10: evening train to Florence
Day 11: sightsee Florence
Day 12: evening train to Venice
Day 13: sightsee Venice
Day 14: train to Interlaken, Switzerland
Day 15: sightsee alps
Day 16: sightsee alps
Day 17: fly back to Toronto

The latter half of the itinerary may seem hectic but the train rides
between the major Italian cities are only 3 -4 hrs. I have set aside
one day for the 7-8 train ride from Venice to Interlaken.

It would be a bit rushed for me, but it's certainly doable.
--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old February 22nd, 2007, 06:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Iceman

On Feb 22, 1:04 pm, "Henry" wrote:
[...]

That is doable, if rushed.

You really don't need all that time in Athens. One full day is
enough. I would recommend taking one day off Athens and spending an
extra day in Florence for a day trip to Siena.

I would fly to Santorini instead of taking the ferry, which is slow
and unpleasant and not much cheaper than the flight. There are lots
of cheap flights to the Greek Islands from Athens.

Interlaken is a good base for a short Swiss trip. If you're not
particularly interested in adventure sports, consider day trips to
Lucerne and the Jungfraujoch. If you re into adventure sports, you'll
have plenty to do in and right around Interlaken.

Old April 3rd, 2007, 01:38 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

On 2007-02-22 12:04:22 -0600, "Henry" said:

Day 4: sightsee Athens; boat to Santorini
Day 5: sightsee Santorini
Day 6: sightsee Santorini

If you plan two days in Santorini anyway, why don't you look into
flights from Athens. That's how I got there. It was more money than a
ferry but boy was it fast and not annoying. Check out the... Olympic?
timetables, when I was there in October some years ago there were 3
flights a week.
--
Dan Stephenson
Photos, movies, panos from the Europe, USA, plus N.Z.:

(remove nospam from email address to reply via email)