England price comparison

Old November 13th, 2003, 06:45 PM
Keri Lemmart

Default England price comparison

We're visiting England next spring, staying in self catering rural
accommodation . I'm trying to get a handle on food prices. If I were to buy
the following ingredients for to cook a dinner for 4: Bread, chicken
breasts, vegetables, salad, desert, cheap red wine, from a local
supermarket, I would pay about £20 here in Vancouver. Roughly what could I
expect to pay in rural England?

Thanks for any input.

Keri

Old November 13th, 2003, 07:20 PM
JohnT

"Keri Lemmart" wrote in message
We're visiting England next spring, staying in self catering rural
accommodation . I'm trying to get a handle on food prices. If I were to

buy
the following ingredients for to cook a dinner for 4:

Bread,

A large loaf of factory bread from a Supermarket would cost about 40p: a
large loaf from the Inn-Store bakery would be about twice that price.

chickenbreasts,

pre-cooked, which just need reheating in the Oven? If so, a pack of four
would be about £5 - £6

vegetables, salad,

potatoes, carrots, cabbage, other common vegetables are cheap

desert,

You can get a litre of cheap ice cream for less than £1.

cheap red wine, from a local supermarket,

A really rough plonk can be got for £3 or less, most of which is Duty and
VAT. For £1 more you could get a drinkable wine.

Old November 13th, 2003, 07:46 PM
Jan

JohnT wrote:
[...]

Decent cut loaf 60p
Fresh baked 80p
Chicken whole £1.99 ( if Safeway has an offer)
Chicken Breasts around £2.99-£4.99 for 4
Salad pack pre washed mixed leaves about £1
Q 50p - 80p
5 KG washed spuds £1.99
Carrots 30p lb- Root veg are really good value.
Ice cream Supermarket own 60p a tub
Syrup puddings with custard in Safeway £2 for 4 ( yummy!!!)
3 bottles of perfectly gluggable Blossom Hill (in Safeway) £10

So a fair bit cheaper than Vancouver i Think

Jan

---

Old November 13th, 2003, 10:32 PM
Philip George

In article RiQsb.384627$9l5.155455@pd7tw2no,
Keri Lemmart wrote:
We're visiting England next spring, staying in self catering rural
accommodation . I'm trying to get a handle on food prices. If I were to buy
the following ingredients for to cook a dinner for 4: Bread, chicken
breasts, vegetables, salad, desert, cheap red wine, from a local
supermarket, I would pay about £20 here in Vancouver. Roughly what could I
expect to pay in rural England?

In London....
4 chicken breasts cost about 5 GBP. Bread 50p. Desert.. depends what desert
exactly! Perhaps 2 GBP for 4 people? Vegetables maybe 2 GBP for 4 people's
worth? Salad 2 GBP again. Cheap red wine 4 GBP... (go for something
Chilean or Australian for something drinkable).

So.... in London 17 pounds tops!

In rural England probably no more than 15 pounds.

phil

Old November 13th, 2003, 11:10 PM
P J Wallace

Not sure if prices would be much different in the country
(supermarkets here will supply the entire country from a limited
number of warehouses), and lot depends on the quality you're prepared
to pay (orr settle) for, but I would reckon:
loaf of sliced bread 60-90p
4 chicken breasts ?£3-4
2lb potatoes 60p
2lb green veg 60p - £1
Bottle of wine £4-5 (for reasonable quality, can get cheaper rotgut)
Desserts - well, whatever, depending on what you fancy, let's say £2
-3
Salad, again depending on tastes and quantities - a complete mixed
salad for 4, say £3

Total about £15 - say $Can 30-40. I think you might have meant $Can
20 for the Vancouver equivalent - my experience in Vancouver last
summer was that food was a good bit cheaper than the UK.
PJW

Old November 14th, 2003, 12:02 AM
Douglas W. Hoyt

Thanks for any input.

You might want to check out the input at this website, which has a few
choice observations about prices in Britain:
http://www.rip-off.co.uk/index1.htm

Old November 14th, 2003, 12:07 AM
Keith Willshaw

"Keri Lemmart" wrote in message
We're visiting England next spring, staying in self catering rural
accommodation . I'm trying to get a handle on food prices. If I were to

buy
the following ingredients for to cook a dinner for 4: Bread, chicken
breasts, vegetables, salad, desert, cheap red wine, from a local
supermarket, I would pay about £20 here in Vancouver. Roughly what could

expect to pay in rural England?

In the village I live in I'd expect to spend about the same or less

Allow £5 a bottle for the wine, £2 for the Salad , £2 for vegetables
(salad and veg from the greengrocer next to the Co-op)
£1 for fresh bread from the baker and Knibbs the Butcher
will do you a nice deal on the chicken, but dont forget his
own pork and herb sausages for breakfast .

Whereabouts are you staying ?

Keith