driving France-Switzerland-Italy

Old August 22nd, 2007, 12:59 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Troy Piggins[_2_]

Default driving France-Switzerland-Italy

I've been reading about driving through France to Switzerland
and on to Italy. Seems there are tolls in France and Italy which
is easy enough because they're both Euro currency.

What I'm a little unsure of is:

- Do we need to go through a customs type process at the Fr/Sw
border? Does it involve getting out of the car? Or is it all
pretty casual and just flash passports? I've travelled around
by bus before and we didn't need to stop at borders of
France-Netherlands-Germany and Austria-Italy. We /did/ stop
at the Czech border and have passports and visas checked. If
Switzerland was EU country I'd be more sure it'd be ok.
- I read there aren't toll roads in Switzerland, but you pay at a
gate at the border. Do they accept Euros there, or must we
already have Swiss Francs?
- If not, they probably take Visa/credit cards?
- Any similar issues going from Switzerland-Italy? Of course
we'll already have Euros.

Just not sure what to expect.

--
Troy Piggins | http://piggo.com/~troy _ __ (_) __ _ __ _ ___
| '_ \| |/ _` |/ _` |/ _ \
| .__/|_|\__, |\__, |\___/
|_| |___/ |___/
Old August 22nd, 2007, 01:28 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alan S[_1_]

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 09:59:10 +1000, Troy Piggins
wrote:

[...]

When I crossed into Switzerland four years ago there was a
border control point; our passports were checked and then we
were waved through. However, I was aware of the vignette
needed for using the motorways so I asked about that and was
directed to a booth to purchase it. From memory it was
40CHF. A "must" buy or you will be booked.

If you cross into Austria before you enter Italy you will
also need another vignette for their motorways.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Slovenia
Old August 22nd, 2007, 02:26 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Troy Piggins[_2_]

* Alan S is quoted & my replies are inline below :
wrote:

[...]

And that was all done "in car" like at a toll booth?

However, I was aware of the vignette needed for using the
motorways so I asked about that and was directed to a booth to
purchase it. From memory it was 40CHF. A "must" buy or you will
be booked.

Thanks.

If you cross into Austria before you enter Italy you will also
need another vignette for their motorways.

Thanks again mate.

--
Troy Piggins | http://piggo.com/~troy
RLU#415538 ,-O (o- O
Old August 22nd, 2007, 04:59 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Iceman

On Aug 21, 7:59 pm, Troy Piggins wrote:
[...]

Unless you're really going off the beaten track, you would probably
find it a lot easier to take trains.

Old August 22nd, 2007, 05:12 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Troy Piggins[_2_]

* Iceman is quoted & my replies are inline below :
[...]

Girlfriend gets motion-sickness readily and need to be able to
stop when/where we want. Plus the freedom of being able to go
any way we want.

--
Troy Piggins
Old August 22nd, 2007, 05:31 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge3

MOSTLY IN CAR EXCEPT IF YOU CARRY HEROINE OR ARE A LOOK ALIKE TO BEN LADEN

wrote:

[...]

RLU#415538 ,-O (o-
O ) //\
`-O V_/_
OOO

Old August 22nd, 2007, 05:32 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge3

No need to justify yourself
This is not the US, we live in free countries.

Old August 22nd, 2007, 05:52 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Troy Piggins[_2_]

* Runge3 is quoted & my replies are inline below :
wrote:

I've been reading about driving through France to Switzerland
and on to Italy. Seems there are tolls in France and Italy which
is easy enough because they're both Euro currency.

[snip]
When I crossed into Switzerland four years ago there was a
border control point; our passports were checked and then we
were waved through.

And that was all done "in car" like at a toll booth?

However, I was aware of the vignette needed for using the
motorways so I asked about that and was directed to a booth to
purchase it. From memory it was 40CHF. A "must" buy or you will
be booked.

Thanks.

If you cross into Austria before you enter Italy you will also
need another vignette for their motorways.

Thanks again mate.

MOSTLY IN CAR EXCEPT IF YOU CARRY HEROINE OR ARE A LOOK ALIKE TO BEN LADEN

What if I look like Mel Gibson?

--
Troy Piggins
Old August 22nd, 2007, 06:49 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
me[_6_]

On 22 août, 01:59, Troy Piggins wrote:
I've been reading about driving through France to Switzerland
and on to Italy. Seems there are tolls in France and Italy which
is easy enough because they're both Euro currency.

What I'm a little unsure of is:

- Do we need to go through a customs type process at the Fr/Sw
border? Does it involve getting out of the car? Or is it all
pretty casual and just flash passports? I've travelled around
by bus before and we didn't need to stop at borders of
France-Netherlands-Germany and Austria-Italy. We /did/ stop
at the Czech border and have passports and visas checked. If
Switzerland was EU country I'd be more sure it'd be ok.

Switzerland is not member of the EU (means not toll
union, custom check at border or border area possible)
and Schengen agreement not in use yet (means at least
in theory immigration check or procedure)

In fact, there is little to no real check when crossing
the border - to my experience ID-check when car
licence plates dont "match" (from far away regions
especially) if not on major highway entrances.
ID-check unfrequent on major highway entrances
(to much traffic .....), once in a while a car
is checked for goods (especially with Swiss
licence places when returning to the country)

As you are just transiting to Italy, you dont have
to declare goods, just make sure not having
prohibited items (drugs mainly, weapons, but also
proteced species ...). Rules are not really different
from EU-countries, but might be worth having a look at
http://www.ezv.admin.ch/zollinfo_pri...x.html?lang=en

- I read there aren't toll roads in Switzerland, but you pay at a
gate at the border. Do they accept Euros there, or must we
already have Swiss Francs?

Old constitution did not allow toll roads, but
"vignette" is mandatory for most of the highway
network. If you are not using highways, you dont
need it - but if you enter the country on a highway
(Basle, Geneva, Chiasso) and dont have one,
you have to buy it. If you have enough time
and depending what part of the country you plan
to cross, using regular more scenic roads might
be an option. Driving on a highway without
"vignette" costs CHF 40 for the vignette and
a CHF 100 fine.
Be aware that the Grand-St-Bernard tunnel is
a toll road - road is between Switzerland and Italy

- If not, they probably take Visa/credit cards?

Euros are accepted - as in most shops at least
near the border (but shops usually dont have
change in Euro - will be in CHF)

- Any similar issues going from Switzerland-Italy? Of course
we'll already have Euros.

To my knowledge Grand-St-Bernard is the
only toll road on the border - but many toll
roads in Italy

Just not sure what to expect.

Depends where.
Check your itinerary for exemple using
www.viamichelin.com (with or without highway
section)

Basically
- relatively good roads, lots of road construction
- agressive driving
- driving in any larger city a mess, parking a challenge

Regarding border crossing: I live in Switzerland
near German-Swiss border for now 10 years,
cross the border average twice a week at least.
During this time I have been asked around
20 times for an ID, car papers checked once,
and trunk checked once by German customs
at the border .... and 2 times by German
customs some 20 km from the border.
On Swiss side, trunk checked twice at the
border and once some 5 km from the border
by Swiss customs.

More and more entrance points are not manned
permanently any more on Swiss side (especially
not at night or the weekend - but random checking
always possible)

Have a great and safe trip!

Old August 22nd, 2007, 07:31 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gregory Morrow[_1_]

Troy Piggins wrote:

[...]

Try "entry from the rear" to cure that girlfriend's "motion sickness"
problem...

:-p

--
Best