French motorways

Old September 27th, 2008, 10:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

Default French motorways

are bloody expensive! Some light motorway travelling, spread over 3
days = EUR 44.80. For that kind of money you can buy a one year sticker
for Switzerland and a 10 day sticker for Austria and still have money
to spare.
Old September 27th, 2008, 10:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
le_voyageur_en_velo

In article ,
Jesper Lauridsen wrote:

are bloody expensive! Some light motorway travelling, spread over 3
days = EUR 44.80. For that kind of money you can buy a one year sticker
for Switzerland and a 10 day sticker for Austria and still have money
to spare.

Capitalism is evil incarnate.

Take the nationales and the départementales. Much more fun.

--
le_voyageur_en_velo
Old September 27th, 2008, 11:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge12

So what?
No one invited you to use them.

. ..

Old September 27th, 2008, 11:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gregory Morrow[_63_]

Runge12 blabbles:

So what?
No one invited you to use them.

Best
Greg

" I find Greg Morrow lowbrow, witless, and obnoxious. For him to claim that
we are some
kind of comedy team turns my stomach."
- "cybercat" to me on rec.food.cooking

Old September 28th, 2008, 04:04 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 23:53:42 +0200, le_voyageur_en_velo
wrote:

In article ,
Jesper Lauridsen wrote:

are bloody expensive! Some light motorway travelling, spread over 3
days = EUR 44.80. For that kind of money you can buy a one year sticker
for Switzerland and a 10 day sticker for Austria and still have money
to spare.

Capitalism is evil incarnate.

Take the nationales and the départementales. Much more fun.

And after a while, if you're on a longer trip, you may decide the
fare on the autoroute is reasonable after all.

Old September 28th, 2008, 08:11 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos

"Jesper Lauridsen" kirjoitti
.net...
are bloody expensive! Some light motorway travelling, spread over 3
days = EUR 44.80. For that kind of money you can buy a one year sticker
for Switzerland and a 10 day sticker for Austria and still have money
to spare.

That's right. Tariffs are really ridiculous in France. Around 10 cents a
kilometre in 2006 when I was cruising in the country. That's more than the
gasoline expenses...... However, anyone can easily generate an alternative
route by a built in GPS database engine to avoid toll roads. "Secondary
roads" are in very good shape and typically pretty fast too. Naturally in
densely populated areas driving is not as fast and smooth as in motorways in
which one can drive on dedicated lanes without any fears on intersecting
traffic.

For holiday makers this is ideal: you drive through interesting small towns
and villages which are hidden from those who are storming their way on
motorways. For instance the motorway toll for the entire year in Switzerland
was forty (40) francs equal to about 25 euros....... In Austria foreigners
can buy these stickers (vignettes) for shorter periods. So, motorists cover
their windscreens by those bloody stickers in reasonable fares.

Moreover, the French method to collect the tax is imbecile to put it mildly:
they have those manned booths on the out going ramps (ausfarts which has
nothing to do with flatulence). I guess it has something to do with
"employment". From a driver's point of view there is no padding between the
ears of the French law makers. Once close to Biarritz town I drove about ten
(10) kilometres in a motorway and at the end drivers were queuing to hand
the required amount of money which in my case was one whole euro to a tax
collector sitting in his/her arse in a booth. Insane! Insane! Insane!

For instance in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) they had a toll point in a
few places (in fast roads in Dubai). A sticker is stamped on a corner of the
windscreen. At a toll point a machine is reading the stamp of the passing
cars. No need to slow down. Just keep driving as usual.

Old September 28th, 2008, 08:13 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
le_voyageur_en_velo

In article ,
Markku Grönroos wrote:

[...]

Incredible! A post from Markku that _doesn't_ mention homosexuals!!!

--
le_voyageur_en_velo
Old September 28th, 2008, 09:43 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike Lane

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 04:04:57 +0100, Hatunen wrote
(in article ):

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 23:53:42 +0200, le_voyageur_en_velo
wrote:

In article ,
Jesper Lauridsen wrote:

are bloody expensive! Some light motorway travelling, spread over 3
days = EUR 44.80. For that kind of money you can buy a one year sticker
for Switzerland and a 10 day sticker for Austria and still have money
to spare.

Capitalism is evil incarnate.

Take the nationales and the départementales. Much more fun.

And after a while, if you're on a longer trip, you may decide the
fare on the autoroute is reasonable after all.

I've driven across France many times without using motorways at all,
and enjoyed the trip each time. It seems to me the only reason to use
motorways there is if you're not interested in seeing the country at
all, and simply want to get to your destination as quickly as
possible. If that's the case then why drive at all?

The only country that I've driven in where I've found it necessary to
use motorways is Italy. The minor roads there are just not suitable
for travelling further than from one town to the next.

--
Mike Lane (UK North Yorkshire)
To contact me replace invalid with mike underscore lane

Old September 28th, 2008, 09:49 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
le_voyageur_en_velo

In article . com,
Mike Lane wrote:

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 04:04:57 +0100, Hatunen wrote
(in article ):

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 23:53:42 +0200, le_voyageur_en_velo
wrote:

In article ,
Jesper Lauridsen wrote:

are bloody expensive! Some light motorway travelling, spread over 3
days = EUR 44.80. For that kind of money you can buy a one year sticker
for Switzerland and a 10 day sticker for Austria and still have money
to spare.

Capitalism is evil incarnate.

Take the nationales and the départementales. Much more fun.

And after a while, if you're on a longer trip, you may decide the
fare on the autoroute is reasonable after all.

I've driven across France many times without using motorways at all,
and enjoyed the trip each time. It seems to me the only reason to use
motorways there is if you're not interested in seeing the country at
all, and simply want to get to your destination as quickly as
possible. If that's the case then why drive at all?

I rode from Paris to Bâle once, keeping to the 'N' roads for most of the
way. It's a different way of seeing the country, because 'N' roads
really aren't that much slower than motorways, and you get to see the
beautiful countryside that makes up so much of this fair land. I
eventually got bored near Mulhouse (IIRC), and belted it along the
motorway for the remainder of the journey.

Now that all my travelling takes place on unmotorised two wheels, the
'D' roads are my staple.

--
le_voyageur_en_velo