Brooklyn Welcomes Cruise Ships!

Old April 15th, 2005, 05:07 PM
George Leppla

"shoreguy" wrote

That's a shame. Part of the wonder of cruising to or from NYC is that trip
past the Statue of Liberty and up the Hudson to midtown. I still remember
the first time. Many of the crew gathered on the bow and were as
overwhelmed
as we were.

The "shame" lies in the fact that for years and years, New York City refused
to spend any money to provide cruise passengers with proper facilities. I
have been in many ports and in my opinion, the cruise ship terminals in New
York were the worst managed permanent facilities I have ever seen.

Royal Caribbean had the right idea by moving to New Jersey. Carnival Corp
is heading to Brooklyn and that may be an improvement depending on how they
develop the terminal, parking and access. I have visions of Red Hook
becoming just another traffic jam.

With much fewer sailings out of Manhattan, maybe the Port Authority will
finally be able to handle what little they have left.

--
George in PA http://www.countryside-travel.com

Miracle in May - http://www.cruisemaster.com/miracle.htm
The Mother of All Group Cruises 2 - http://www.moagc2.com/

Old April 15th, 2005, 05:39 PM
number6

Don & Lynn wrote:
I'm glad we were on a cruise last Nov. that spent the day docked in
Manhattan. That's part of the charm. You look up and there is the

Empire
State building. It was a Sunday and I talked to a lady who walked to

St.
Patrick's with her group and attended mass. These things are

priceless.
Don

Th view facing Red Hook also gives some nice sights ...burned out
buildings ... The drug pushers ... the drug adicts ... hookers ...
muggers ... Sometimes even a mugging hooker who both uses and sells
drugs and lives in a burned out building ...

I believe Red Hook is a big mistake ... it will not only take a lot to
rehab the terminal and piers ... but the neighborhood and access roads
are abysmal ... I'd say beyond rehab ... but I'm a pessimist ... or ...
a realist ...

Manhattan has its problems also ... but not by the cruise ship
terminals ...

Old April 15th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Ray L. Nutz

George no matter wee they dock in New York or New Jersey they still are on a
pier managed by Port Authority of New York & New Jersey.
And whatever money spend on rebuilding piers in Brooklyn or New Jersey is
still PAofNY & NJ money.

Jaap

"George Leppla" wrote

Old April 15th, 2005, 07:20 PM
number6

Karen Segboer wrote:
I don't want to go to Red Hook (ugh).

Karen

Going there and coming out alive ... may be mutually exclusive phrases

I don't want to go to Red Hook either ... since I am neither a hooker,
a drug addict or a mugger ...

Old April 15th, 2005, 08:11 PM
George Leppla

"Ray L. Nutz" wrote

George no matter wee they dock in New York or New Jersey they still are on
a pier managed by Port Authority of New York & New Jersey.
And whatever money spend on rebuilding piers in Brooklyn or New Jersey is
still PAofNY & NJ money.

And the Port Authority gets part of that money from the City of NY. The
City is leasing the area from the Port Authority:

http://tinyurl.com/e4mtr
"New York’s Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg and Governor George E. Pataki have
announced the signing of a long-term lease agreement that will allow the
City to move forward on its plans to create a modern cruise terminal on the
Brooklyn waterfront. The lease agreement reached between the City’s Economic
Development Corporation (EDC) and the Port Authority of New York and New
Jersey (PA) enables the City to take control of Piers 11 and 12 and proceed
with the design and construction of the $30 million facility,"

I do not believe that the Cape Liberty Cruise Terminal in NJ is under the
authority of the NY/NJ Port Authority. It is a former military terminal and
Royal Caribbean entered into an agreement with Bayonne to operate this as a
private cruise port. The State of NJ funded the dredging and widening of
the channel. http://tinyurl.com/aswh9

Oh... and by the way, the midtown Manhattan passenger piers are managed by
P&O under contract to the Port Authority.

Old April 15th, 2005, 08:14 PM
E.k.R.

Nothing like getting car jacked on your way to drop off luggage for that
special QM2 crossing!

Sometimes I think Carnival has their head up their ass. I wonder sometimes
if they ever consider the impact some of their decisions have on the
customer, rather than just the bottom line.

Ernie

Old April 15th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Mark O. Polo

Brooklyn has just lost a lucrative offer of a German container operation
by its inability to give an indication of a long lease arrangement at
Red Hook but there was no such hesitation on the cruise industry
proposal:

http://www.brooklynpapers.com/html/i...8_16nets1.html

Aloha

Old April 15th, 2005, 10:32 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 12:07:49 -0400, George Leppla wrote:

The "shame" lies in the fact that for years and years, New York City refused
to spend any money to provide cruise passengers with proper facilities. I
have been in many ports and in my opinion, the cruise ship terminals in New
York were the worst managed permanent facilities I have ever seen.

Royal Caribbean had the right idea by moving to New Jersey. Carnival Corp
is heading to Brooklyn and that may be an improvement depending on how they
develop the terminal, parking and access. I have visions of Red Hook
becoming just another traffic jam.

With much fewer sailings out of Manhattan, maybe the Port Authority will
finally be able to handle what little they have left.

Right on all counts, GL.
Old April 15th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 16:51:13 GMT, Karen Segboer wrote:

Posting to myself, LOL. Maybe the ships could feature a champagne sunset
sailaway around the island, up the Hudson, turnaround and back out, kinda
like a grand version of the Circle Line or whatever it's called?!

A very good idea, but would Carnival Corp. bite, added fuel costs and
all that?

Easy. The will sell a SOL excursion.
Old April 15th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 15:14:25 -0400, E.k.R. wrote:

Sometimes I think Carnival has their head up their ass. I wonder sometimes
if they ever consider the impact some of their decisions have on the
customer, rather than just the bottom line.

Right now, Ernie, they ball is so far in their court they are making hay
while the sun shines. And will continue to up prices, squeeze expenses
until the pax stop increasing bookings.