Meeting Royalty in Europe

Old November 9th, 2003, 02:00 AM

Default Meeting Royalty in Europe

In article ,
(EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)) wrote:

Reid wrote:

Following up to David Horne

coronation street of all things, dear oh dear.

Hey. I'm a fan of Corrie! That's why I lurked there for a while.

Her
posts were really creepy.

The soaps are an area I just don't like, getting committed to
watching so much TV...and I hear people talking as if its real...
how would I find the time for usenet if I watched them? :-)

You mean people are like that in England, too?

Very much so.

The most popular homegrown soaps here are EastEnders and Coronation Street
on the TV, set respectively in London and an imaginary industrial town in
the northwest [1]; plus The Archers on the radio, dealing with rural life
in Worcestershire.

They are slightly compelling, if that's not a contradiction in terms
(though I never worry if I miss one [2]). I guess what appeals is that
they have actors who look like real people (not too beautiful) and they do
deal, sometimes quite intelligently but increasingly too melodramatically,
with the kind of issues that affect real people.

We also get the Australian ones on daytime/early-evening TV (the dog likes
daytime TV, *I'd* never watch them of course...). They seem more
superficial, but I think they're aimed at a teenage audience.

[1] I've never been sure where Walford is supposed to be -- I imagine
somewhere in the Manchester orbit.

[2] Marie, David -- I still want to know what happened to Tyrone's
lurcher! Did it die in episodes I missed?
Old November 9th, 2003, 02:27 AM
Deep Freud Moors

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 08:34:36 +0000, Reid
wrote:

Following up to David Horne

coronation street of all things, dear oh dear.

Hey. I'm a fan of Corrie! That's why I lurked there for a while. Her
posts were really creepy.

The soaps are an area I just don't like, getting committed to
watching so much TV...and I hear people talking as if its real...
how would I find the time for usenet if I watched them? :-)

Bickering on usenet is much more stimulating than watching tv in my
view. At least you can learn stuff here, and excercise your brain a
little. Sure as hell beats watching brainless drivel...
---
DFM
Old November 9th, 2003, 03:57 AM
Robert

Marie Lewis wrote in message ...
In article , Robert
writes
Yes because you are at the level where you think spelling is
everything. You should know as you move up to the university level
spelling doesn't count in many of the subjects - just remembering
facts at test time.

In the USA. But what about when you want to get a job?
That's all at most universities.

In the USA.

So I just used
most of my time to study (remember facts) and when I was finished to
meet girls (have sex). I did so good they said I was an honor student
and all this.

It is not just the spelling: you have dreadful grammar and punctuation
as well. If you cannot learn these simple things, your qualifications
(!) are somewhat suspect.

What qualifications do you refer to you?

In fact they acclaimed me nationwide by inducting my
into the elite national honor society. I forget what it's called but
Hilary Clinton belonged to it too. There are good teachers and bad
teachers. Which one are you? I think you are in the bad category.

You know nothing. Literally.

That's such a supid comment coming from someone who professes to be
"educated" (someone who knows how to spell). I know where Sweden is on
the map. You think this is a joke? In my 12th grade class out of 30
students I was the only one to know - and most of the students were at
the top of the class in a school with a "good" reputation. What is
education?
Old November 9th, 2003, 04:35 AM
Nancy Kay

In article ,
Deep Freud Moors wrote:

I would happily speak French more often in this forum, but I don't
like it when people correct me constantly (which happens, because my
written French is pretty bad). It interrupts the flow of conversation,
and thus what I am trying to say. Take offence if you like, but you
won't change my style...
---
DFM

Please don't use the French that you know. I don't speak or understand
most of it. I understand the content of your writings even when they
contain an error or two. I don't take offence at any of the mistakes. I
make them occasionally because my brain works faster than my fingers
when I am typing. :-D

--
Nancy Kay
"Patience is a Virtue"