Meeting Royalty in Europe

Old November 10th, 2003, 07:25 AM
Mxsmanic

Default Meeting Royalty in Europe

Keith Anderson writes:

And in your case, an Alpha Centaurian and a ....... - so what are you
like, Mr Manix?

I'm not permitted to discuss that, other than to say that it's a good
thing that I cannot be seen in cyberspace.

Old November 10th, 2003, 09:15 AM
Reid

Following up to Magda

... The spellchecker in Agent does no perform sense checking, I am
... not prepared to buy (nonexistent?) software just to please a
... minority of 2 on usenet (Marie and yourself).

Last resource - using your brain (instead of software) to "perform sense checking" - is
too much to ask for ?

Is it too much to ask for that you should take note of the other
posters who tell you you are wrong?
What is it about you that when everyone tells you you are wrong,
then documents are cited explaining you are acting against the
conventions of usenet, that you still persist?

As I, and others, have explained, typos will get through on
Usenet, you however, appear to prefer to believe I didn't know
the difference between "lose" and "loose" and chose to explain
it.
The rudeness of such an action is only surpassed by its arrogance
and stupidity.
I have given you two alternatives:-
a) Don't read my posts
b) Shut up about spelling and grammar. (I note your own errors
are now being pointed up by others)
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old November 10th, 2003, 09:15 AM
Reid

Following up to Magda

... ... only to the small minded. Your original observation on "lose"
... ... with "oo" was the lowest form of usenet behaviour. Accept it.
... I gave you a mnemonic sentence to help, *gratis*. You are welcome to use it. Unless, of
... course, you are too small minded to accept it.
... But that sentence is exactly the point! Its your monumental
... condescension that is the problem. You choose to explain where it
... is not needed.

You asked for it.

Do you mean I requested it or I deserved it?

Of course it was not needed, but YOU needed it.

You still don't understand, do you? You are ridiculous.
Old November 10th, 2003, 09:15 AM
Reid

Following up to David Horne

There are plenty, of course- just not available here- no market, I
suppose. Latin America probably has even more, and there are US-made
Spanish soaps (very much in the same style as US daytime soaps) for US
(latino) comsumption.

My TV is cable and they will only supply Spanish language in
areas there are lots of spanish speakers.

Out of interest, as you're interested in things Spanish, there must be a
Spanish cultural centre in London? They have one here in Manchester,
which is excellent- the Cervantes Institute. It has a lot of really
interesting free (usually with lots of Rioja!) events, in addition to
the usual stuff- Spanish language lessons etc. Recently, we've met the
Peruvian ambassador, who came to give a lecture, and they show lots of
Spanish films, including older ones which you don't often get a chance
to see. It's mostly centred around the culture of Spain (and is probably
funded to some degree by the Spanish government) but there's obviously a
lot of political interest in latin america.

I'm sure there is, there is certainly a Spanish food institute
who promote a number of things. We quite often get to see films
in spanish in London (thankfully not dubbed) and we buy the odd
video in Spain. What I am looking for is exposure to spanish on a
daily basis, hoping it will just "sink in".
Old November 10th, 2003, 09:16 AM
Reid

Following up to EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

I wish they would buy some rubbish
Spanish soap so I could tape it and try and improve my Spanish.

Find a friend in Southern California with the time to tape them - we
have about half a dozen Spanish language channels on cable here. Some
of them offer dramatic shows, and some of those appear to be serials.
(They're not all Mexican, either - we have residents here from all over
Central and South America.)

I don't think that would work, I think we use different video
formats.
Old November 10th, 2003, 09:16 AM
Reid

Following up to David Horne

It seems to be a trend in society for
some. The presenter who does the wake up show on BBC London has
an encyclopedic knowledge of such things and is very funny.

Tut-tut. Don't most respectable people listen to Today on R4 instead?

I listen to both. I go through the news once on radio 4 then
switch to London for a little less gloom and doom. I hate the
portentous tones they use to announce all the bad news. When I
get fed up with the vacuousness I go back to 4. So it goes until
Robert Elms starts on London at 12, which is my favourite radio.

Were you listening this morning about credit cards? They said
fraud occurs by bin raiders getting old transaction slips and we
should shred them, looking at mine they don't carry the card
number!
They also said a lot occurs with internet transactions, I wonder
how the thieves get round giving a delivery address that would
identify them?

Old November 10th, 2003, 02:00 PM
Mxsmanic

Reid writes:

Were you listening this morning about credit cards? They said
fraud occurs by bin raiders getting old transaction slips and we
should shred them, looking at mine they don't carry the card
number!

This is news? Credit-card fraud is extremely easy when it involves
charge slips. Internet use of credit cards is actually much safer.

They also said a lot occurs with internet transactions, I wonder
how the thieves get round giving a delivery address that would
identify them?

They don't have to give their own address; any address to which they
have access will do.

However, a lot of fraud doesn't involve actual delivery of goods, but
instead false charges for goods that were never purchased or delivered.

Old November 10th, 2003, 02:25 PM
Reid

Following up to Mxsmanic

Were you listening this morning about credit cards? They said
fraud occurs by bin raiders getting old transaction slips and we
should shred them, looking at mine they don't carry the card
number!

This is news? Credit-card fraud is extremely easy when it involves
charge slips. Internet use of credit cards is actually much safer.

Its gone up a lot, some organisation has put out a campaign
statement.
When they ran the item my wife had a look at her current slips
and they do *not* show a credit card number so are useless for
fraud. The old type manual ones did, the "swipe" type don't, it
seems.

They also said a lot occurs with internet transactions, I wonder
how the thieves get round giving a delivery address that would
identify them?

They don't have to give their own address; any address to which they
have access will do.

Still a pretty good lead for the men in blue.

However, a lot of fraud doesn't involve actual delivery of goods, but
instead false charges for goods that were never purchased or delivered.

Again, surely that leaves a trail right back to the crim?