Meeting Royalty in Europe

Old November 10th, 2003, 06:47 PM
me

Default Meeting Royalty in Europe

Marie Lewis wrote in message ...
In article , me
writes
Better/newer uniforms, better watches, better hair sticks/clasps,

No hair sticks (whatever they may be) would be allowed.

Little devices for holding ones hair in place.

whatever, better books,

All books were provided free by the school

As they were at mine, yet I had duplicates which we owned.
I also had supplemental texts as well. Most kids got
their books for reading assignments from the library.
I got them off the bookshelves in my home. I had access
to the family set of CRC's.

better book bags,

All pupils nowadays want "designer" bags, even the poorer pupils - and
they get them.

'zactly. But what you get, when you get it, and how you get it
tells alot.

better, better, better. Ya got
money it's ain't hard to let everyone know.

I had no idea which children came from rich and which from poor
families.

You probably weren't paying much attention. The kids all knew.
Old November 10th, 2003, 07:23 PM
Miguel Cruz

Reid wrote:
Following up to EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
Find a friend in Southern California with the time to tape them - we have
about half a dozen Spanish language channels on cable here. Some of them
offer dramatic shows, and some of those appear to be serials. (They're
not all Mexican, either - we have residents here from all over Central
and South America.)

I don't think that would work, I think we use different video
formats.

Shouldn't be that hard to find a VCR that converts NTSC to PAL on playback.

Or have them burned on a DVD and watch on a computer.

miguel
--
See the world from your web browser: http://travel.u.nu/
Old November 10th, 2003, 08:08 PM
Reid

Following up to Miguel Cruz

I don't think that would work, I think we use different video
formats.

Shouldn't be that hard to find a VCR that converts NTSC to PAL on playback.

Or have them burned on a DVD and watch on a computer.

This is getting complex, perhaps a spanish au-pare would be
simpler, hmmmm.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old November 10th, 2003, 08:58 PM
Miguel Cruz

Reid wrote:
Following up to Miguel Cruz
I don't think that would work, I think we use different video
formats.

Shouldn't be that hard to find a VCR that converts NTSC to PAL on playback.

Or have them burned on a DVD and watch on a computer.

This is getting complex, perhaps a spanish au-pare would be
simpler, hmmmm.

To smuggle you the films, or to stage a steamy soap opera of your own?

miguel
--
See the world from your web browser: http://travel.u.nu/
Old November 10th, 2003, 09:32 PM
Mxsmanic

Reid writes:

Again, surely that leaves a trail right back to the crim?

It's possible to use completely bogus credit-cards for in-person
transactions, then take delivery on the spot and fence the goods before
anyone gets wise. Where there is a will, there's a way.

But it always surprises me that people distrust Internet transactions
and yet trust paper and phone transactions, when in fact Internet
transactions are the most secure of the three (because they often do not
involve any human beings, and human beings are the element that commits
fraud).

Old November 10th, 2003, 09:32 PM
Mxsmanic

Reid writes:

and these people are saying shred the receipts, do they have
shredder shares?

I shred everything with any identifying information on it.

Old November 10th, 2003, 11:40 PM
David Horne

Miguel Cruz wrote:

Reid wrote:
Following up to EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
Find a friend in Southern California with the time to tape them - we have
about half a dozen Spanish language channels on cable here. Some of them
offer dramatic shows, and some of those appear to be serials. (They're
not all Mexican, either - we have residents here from all over Central
and South America.)

I don't think that would work, I think we use different video
formats.

Shouldn't be that hard to find a VCR that converts NTSC to PAL on playback.

Most UK VCRs play back NTSC nowadays. Reid, when did you buy your VCR?
have a look at the front- it might say "NTSC Playback" somewhere.

David

--
David Horne- website under re-construction
davidhorne (at) davidhorne (dot) co (dot) uk
Old November 10th, 2003, 11:40 PM
David Horne

Reid wrote:

I'm sure there is, there is certainly a Spanish food institute
who promote a number of things. We quite often get to see films
in spanish in London (thankfully not dubbed) and we buy the odd
video in Spain.

The Cornerhouse cinema in Manchester runs a Spanish film festival every
year. It tours to various UK cities- I'm sure London too.

What I am looking for is exposure to spanish on a
daily basis, hoping it will just "sink in".

You could do a lot worse than just watching the video already available
online- lots more audio as well. Lots of spanish, latino and US-spanish
websites broadcast on the web. My partner watches the 'local' Peruvian
news this way.

David

Old November 10th, 2003, 11:40 PM
David Horne

Reid wrote:

Were you listening this morning about credit cards?

Yes, enroute to Liverpool via the train.

They said
fraud occurs by bin raiders getting old transaction slips and we
should shred them, looking at mine they don't carry the card
number!

I was wondering about that.

They also said a lot occurs with internet transactions, I wonder
how the thieves get round giving a delivery address that would
identify them?

I think there are enough companies that allow this, unfortunately.

David