Seeing eye dogs on Princess...should I cancel?

Old September 1st, 2004, 09:57 PM
Dick Goldhaber

Here is what really bothers me.

Heidi is an "alpha" dog, and when we learned when we were about to board the
bus in San Francisco in 2001 that would take us to Veendam for a Canal
cruise that there was another dog there it was a difficult moment for both
us and Idaho's owners. We later learned that there was a third dog on the
cruise.

One would think that HAL would have advised their dog aided passengers that
there were to be other dogs on the ship, but they did not.

In 2003, once bitten, we tried to get HAL to let us know if there would be
any surprises on our Hawaii cruise and they would not tell us, claiming that
it invaded the privacy of the passengers.

When we got settled onboard we went to the Neptune Lounge and asked the
hostess if SHE could tell us whether there were any other dogs on the
cruise, she said yes, but she couldn't tell us the name of the passenger,
but she gave us the deck. After we sailed we went to the deck she mentioned
where we were told that there were no other dogs present on the cruise,
which was the correct information.

So what we have is HAL refusing to tell passengers with service animals
whether there will be any others on their cruise, and Princess telling
everyone that there are service animals onboard.

I guess we will have to find out when we get there, and that is bad public
relations. Like I said, it bothers me, but YMMV.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ
ojunk

"RTCReferee" wrote in message
linsifer wrote:

Guide Dogs for the Blind use a lot of Labrador Retrievers, Goldens and a
mix of these two breeds, bred for gentleness, temperament and soundness.

They
breed their own dogs. Both breeds are the best!

http://www.guidedog.org/index.html

Thank you for posting that link. I'm sure the dogs are great. I am

normally
opposed to eugenics, but breeding for this very important purpose is

something
I can get behind, albeit not with a pooper scooper.

Old September 1st, 2004, 10:24 PM
Len C.

Why? There were several seeing eye dogs on my Voyager cruise back in
May. They didn't bother anyone and were the most gentle dogs I have ever
encountered. Are you implying that someone with a handicap shouldn't
cruise?

Len...

Old September 2nd, 2004, 01:00 AM
clint

Perhaps like the homos, the handicapped could "charter" a cruise ship, so
they don't annoy the normal cruisers!

Old September 2nd, 2004, 01:51 AM
Len C.

Perhaps like the homos, the handicapped could "charter" a cruise ship,

Figures someone with a mentality below the norm would have to chime in!
Get a life! Capital "L" for looser!!!

Len...

Old September 2nd, 2004, 02:27 PM
Michel Buonarroti

"Dick Goldhaber" wrote in message

When we cruised the Panama Canal in 2001 there were two other dogs on

board,
Idaho, a seeing eye dog, and Ross, an"assistive" dog, whose job it was to
pull his master's wheelchair.

So what happens when two or more service dogs meet on vacation? Do they
ever "get it on?"

Old September 2nd, 2004, 02:43 PM
Lee

"Dick Goldhaber" wrote in message ...

So what we have is HAL refusing to tell passengers with service animals
whether there will be any others on their cruise, and Princess telling
everyone that there are service animals onboard.

I guess we will have to find out when we get there, and that is bad public
relations. Like I said, it bothers me, but YMMV.

Soooo...first you're concerned with an ADA violation because Princess
revealed to passengers that there would be blind people with service
dogs on a particular cruise, and now you're bent out of shape because
HAL won't divulge the info to you? Am I getting this right? Is it that
you only want people with service animals to know about other people
with service animals? Far as I'm concerned, if it's an invasion of
privacy to tell a non-service animal passenger about the number of
service animals that will be on board, it's an invasion of privacy to
tell anyone, service animal or not.

Lee

Old September 2nd, 2004, 04:16 PM
Danni

"Lee" wrote in message
om...
Soooo...first you're concerned with an ADA violation because Princess
revealed to passengers that there would be blind people with service
dogs on a particular cruise, and now you're bent out of shape because
HAL won't divulge the info to you? Am I getting this right? Is it that
you only want people with service animals to know about other people
with service animals? Far as I'm concerned, if it's an invasion of
privacy to tell a non-service animal passenger about the number of
service animals that will be on board, it's an invasion of privacy to
tell anyone, service animal or not.

Since our first experience in traveling where there was another service
animal resulted in that dog growling at mine, sure, why shouldn't I ask if
there is another dog on board? I'm talking to the department where they
would have that information. For the sole purpose of knowing what I and my
dog can expect.

Should you be able to call that department and ask if there are dogs on
board? No. That is a violation of the ADA.

My problem with this whole thing is that Princess has set a precedent. 11
blind people with guide dogs. Is that where it ends? If it's only 6
blind/handicapped people with guide/service dogs, will they not notify other
passengers? If it's one blind guy with a dog, will they only notify the
passengers on the same deck?

See where this can lead?

Old September 2nd, 2004, 11:03 PM
Charles

In article , RTCReferee
wrote:

There's only one Lee in this newsgroup whose opinion matters to me, and it's
not you, Mr.too-selfish-and-phony-to-archive-his-posts Snob.

What makes it selfish or phony? You don't know why he does it. I can
think of several reasons to x-no-archive posts. It is a personal
decision and I don't care what his particular reasons are. Nor does it
bother me that he does it.

As far as phony, I think Lee makes a valid point about how AOL screen
names can and have been abused. The way you use your screen name,
"RTCReferee" falls under my definition of fake or phony.

--
Charles