'ADOPT A RIVET'

Old August 3rd, 2007, 03:14 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
John Sisker

Default 'ADOPT A RIVET'

To Whom It May Concern:

We received this information from The Queen Mary Foundation and thought it
would be of interest to this newsgroup as well.

Happy sailing,
John Sisker, SHIP-TO-SHORE CRUISE AGENCY®
(714) 536-3850 or toll free at (800) 724-6644 & (Agency No. 714.536.3850)
www.shiptoshorecruise.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Executive Director - RMS Queen Mary Foundation
The RMS Foundation (Queen Mary)

Thursday, August 02, 2007

QUEEN MARY PATRONS INVITED TO 'ADOPT A RIVET' FOR $1 EACH IN CAMPAIGN TO
REACH $10 MILLION GOAL
Long Beach, CA-

CLICK THIS LINK FOR HISTORIC PHOTOS OF RIVETERS.
http://queenmary.com/images/press/adoptarivet/

CAPTION: During the construction of the Queen Mary in the early 1930s at the
John Brown Shipyard in Clydebank, Scotland, riveters worked in teams to
manually set the ship's ten million rivets that were then pressed into shape
in the hull by the large hydraulic riveting machine. Now, more than 73 years
later, the Queen Mary remains afloat as a hotel and attraction in Long
Beach, California.

The Leadership Coalition of RMS Queen Mary Foundation has launched a
$10-million preservation campaign, and the goal will be reached $1 at a time
as patrons and supporters are invited to "Adopt A Rivet."

The Queen Mary was built on the Clyde in the John Brown Shipyard in the late
1920s and early '30s by Scottish craftsmen who worked as teams to throw,
catch and hammer the 10 million red hot rivets that sealed the steel hull of
the new ship that towered over the Clydebank skyline - a marvel of the time
and, now, the last remaining example of that Golden Age of transatlantic
travel.

The newly-formed Leadership Coalition that is sponsoring Adopt A Rivet
consists of key community leaders and stakeholders experienced in historic
preservation and developing and guiding non-profit organizations. "This is
a great way to kick off our fund-raising efforts," said Coalition Chairman
John Thomas, "by getting everyone involved."

"This program makes it affordable for anyone to contribute to Queen Mary
preservation projects," said Bruce Vancil, executive director of RMS Queen
Mary Foundation. "Some people are sending in a dollar or two, and others
are passing the hat at the office or spreading the word about Adopt A Rivet
and sending in hundreds," he added. "It's all welcome and will be put to
good use."

Those who wish to donate may send $1 for each rivet they wish to adopt
(limit 10,000,000) to Adopt A Rivet, RMS Queen Mary Foundation, 1126 Queens
Highway, Long Beach, California 90802. Adopt A Rivet Certificates can be
downloaded from the Queen Mary website at www.queenmary.com or requested via
email. Donations are tax deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law.

Queen Mary Historic Overview - 40th Anniversary in Long Beach

It was in May of 1967 when the city of Long Beach began negotiations with
the Cunard line to purchase the Queen Mary. The ship had been in continual
service since her 1936 maiden voyage. The city's $3.45 million bid was
accepted in July, and in September and October, the Cunard Line scheduled
the historic luxury liner's final voyages (#513, #514 and #515). Then, on
October 31, 1967, the Queen Mary departed from Southampton, England, on "The
Last Great Cruise" (#516) circling the Horn and arriving in Long Beach on
December 9 amid an amazing welcoming flotilla of 5,000 vessels.

During her years at sea, the art deco Queen Mary captured the imagination of
the public and came to represent the spirit of an era that was characterized
by elegance and style. Then, during World War II, Queen Mary served as a
heroic troop carrier nicknamed "The Grey Ghost." Built on the Clyde by
Scottish craftsmen, the ship is recognized throughout the world as the last
surviving ship of the Golden Age of transatlantic travel. Now permanently
docked, yet still afloat, her operation and preservation are entrusted to
the RMS Foundation, Inc., a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit public benefit
corporation. Located at the sough end of the 710 Freeway in the Port of
Long Beach, the Queen Mary has emerged as a favorite attraction, hotel
meeting facility, world-class entertainment destination - and one of the
world's most haunted sites.

Thursday, August 02, 2007

QUEEN MARY PATRONS INVITED TO 'ADOPT A RIVET' FOR $1 EACH IN CAMPAIGN TO
REACH $10 MILLION GOAL
Long Beach, CA-

The thing is a rust bucket and has lost money since the very
ill-advised decision made by the Long Beach City Council to buy it
back in 87.

The shopping area next to the ship has always been pathetic and while
there's some decont food ont he obnboard restaurantsm, the ship just
isn't worth more than one visist. Waaay back when Jacques Cousteau
had a marine biiology exhibit (aka a small aquarium area) and the
tours showed you a lor more of the ship than they do now it was pretty
cool.

Much as it does shape the Long Beach skyline, I wonder if the ship can
survivie..how long has it been since the bottom was surveyed? They
can't exactly drydock the old girl and do repairs if she starts
rusting out.

I'm a native Longbeachian and while the ship looks neat, it has never
really given the city value for what it cost the taxpayers over the
years. I've been on board twice in the last twenty years and I live
within the sound of the ship's horn.

Jim P.
Old August 15th, 2007, 02:14 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

wrote

QUEEN MARY PATRONS INVITED TO 'ADOPT A RIVET' FOR $1 EACH IN CAMPAIGN TO
REACH $10 MILLION GOAL
Long Beach, CA-

The thing is a rust bucket and has lost money since the very
ill-advised decision made by the Long Beach City Council to buy it
back in 87.

I agree. We stayed there for one night prior to a cruise in April and the
ship is in deplorable condition. Rotting woodwork, rust by the ton and dirt
everywhere from the carpets to the ceilings. I would not spend another
night in that dump if they gave it to me for free.

For the life of me, I don't know why John is posting these press releases.
Right now, the Queen Mary is as much a cruise ship as my Aunt Sadie's Easter
Bonnet and if it wasn't parked so close to the Carnival pier, it would be
treated as just another hotel that no travel agent in his right mind would
ever recommend.

Someone ought to tell me why the handicapped "rooms" on the QM are among the
farthest from the lobby... or why there is an elevator bank that isn't
working.... with no signs to that effect. Or why when a dining room is half
empty, a group of twenty people are told that they can't be accommodated.
Very strange considering we were told that we would have no problems getting
tables less than 24 hours before.

The place is a dump... filthy, in ill repair and could be better managed by
a group of monkeys.

--
George Leppla http://www.CruiseMaster.com

January 20, 2008 - GGC2008 - http://cruisemaster.com/adventure.htm
June 5, 2008 9 nt from NJ - http://www.cruisemaster.com/explorer.htm
October 26, 2008 Sleazy 5 http://www.cruisemaster.com/sleazy5.htm

Old August 15th, 2007, 03:07 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray Goldenberg Ray Goldenberg is offline
Banned

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 08:14:25 -0500, "George Leppla"
wrote:

I agree. We stayed there for one night prior to a cruise in April and the
ship is in deplorable condition. Rotting woodwork, rust by the ton and dirt
everywhere from the carpets to the ceilings. I would not spend another
night in that dump if they gave it to me for free.

Hi George & Jim,

There may be better days ahead for the old girl. Lets not lose hope.
The company that had been operating the QM had gone bankrupt. A new
operator has been selected. See this article in the LA Daily News
from last night:
http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_6625077

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old August 18th, 2007, 02:48 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
John Sisker John Sisker is offline
Banned

In case anyone is interested, here is another link
(http://www.labusinessjournal.com/article.asp?aid=116437) for a little more
detailed information on the recent sale of the Queen Mary, and to future
plans. The Queen Mary is the last survivor of the great ocean liners that
sailed the North Atlantic for the first half of the twentieth century, so
certainly does warrant some attention now and then, even though obviously
not a cruise in the traditional sense.

While admittedly, she has seen better days, as some who not long ago spent a
night or two on-board will attest, hopefully she will once again shine in
all her glory as she did before, possibly even pleasing the most impudent of
customers. In fact, my wife Deborah and I spent the night aboard her
ourselves. But, from actual experience as cruise/travel agents, we certainly
know what to ask and to look out for, in the way of on-board cabins/rooms,
restaurants and other facilities to make this an enjoyable stay. So, no
complaints here.

Old August 18th, 2007, 07:28 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
J Carnaghie

John Sisker wrote:

In case anyone is interested, here is another link
(http://www.labusinessjournal.com/article.asp?aid=116437) for a little more
detailed information on the recent sale of the Queen Mary, and to future
plans. The Queen Mary is the last survivor of the great ocean liners that
sailed the North Atlantic for the first half of the twentieth century, so
certainly does warrant some attention now and then, even though obviously
not a cruise in the traditional sense.

While admittedly, she has seen better days, as some who not long ago spent a
night or two on-board will attest, hopefully she will once again shine in
all her glory as she did before, possibly even pleasing the most impudent of
customers.

SNIP

"... pleasing the most impudent of customers."
Since impudent has a definition of "Characterized
by offensive boldness; insolent or impertinent."
[Answers.com] I doubt that the QM would have
pleased any modern cruise customer accustomed to
today's standards of hygiene, comfort, or
amenities even in here "glory days." The hulk
presently resting in Long Beach harbor is just
about ready to be converted into razor blades. She
is a real money sink for the City of Long Beach,
and while she does look nice against the night
sky, her days of glory are long, long past.
If one stays aboard her, one certainly is inviting
a revisit of the early 20th century days of
travel, unfortunately usually without a personal
valet or ladies attendant to smooth out the rough
spots.

Your money is much better spent on a cabin upgrade
on your cruise than a night at the QM. Unless of
course you want to better appreciate your upcoming
cruise experience.

Cheers,
John in LALALand (On the Left Coast)
Old August 20th, 2007, 12:52 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
John Sisker John Sisker is offline
Banned

The "book" definition of the word impudent was not really necessary, for the
point was the new owner of the Queen Mary is to restore her to her past
glory, that will hopefully please even the most demanding of tastes.
However, as already pointed out, the Queen Mary is not a cruise in the
traditional sense, so trying to compare apples to oranges is rather
superfluous. We're dealing with culture, history, a tourist attraction,
along with hotel/restaurant management here, not a modern day cruise ship.

I personally appreciate the historic significance of preserving the past,
but obviously not everyone else does, especially if it comes without the
extra pampering so many expect now days.

Old August 20th, 2007, 01:08 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
J Carnaghie

John Sisker wrote:
[...]

Dear John,
"Extra pampering so many Expect now days" and
pay for, bu the way.
For what it is worth, there is a whole lot a
work ahead if the present Queen Mary Hulk is to be
brought to any standard of glory, past or present.
I hope the new folks can get her to at least an
acceptable level of finish, but certainly time
will tell.
Cheers,
John in LALALand
Old August 21st, 2007, 03:13 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
John Sisker John Sisker is offline
Banned

J Carnaghie,

For the most part, I have to agree with you. We all expect superior service
on the cruise ships of today, especially if we help things along a bit, by
opting for a balcony or suite for example. Likewise, as to the Queen Mary
itself, I also agree. The new owners does have a monumental task to bring
her up to any type of standards many people expect now days. We've already
heard a lot of negatives in reference to those on this newsgroup who stayed
overnight. Even though I personally look at the historic significance of
preserving the past in ocean liners, I also feel the first thing the new
owners need to do is get better management in place, and now will obviously
need to prioritize the task of refurshing the ship. I wonder what that
dollar figure will be?