Is there an app for that?

Old January 18th, 2012, 03:03 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

Default Is there an app for that?

Thought it might be nice on my next cruise if I had a GPS thingy for my
iPhone so that I could see what island we were passing. Anyway that you
can get one for the Caribbean that you can use w/o needing to be
connected to Internet or cell phone tower?

Old January 18th, 2012, 03:26 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

Kurt Ullman wrote:
Thought it might be nice on my next cruise if I had a GPS thingy for my
iPhone so that I could see what island we were passing. Anyway that you
can get one for the Caribbean that you can use w/o needing to be
connected to Internet or cell phone tower?

Motion-GPS is one you can get. You will have to download the maps while
connected to the Internet. After that you don't have to be connected.

--
Charles

Old January 18th, 2012, 06:27 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

On 1/18/12 5:40 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article

et,
wrote:

Kurt wrote:
Thought it might be nice on my next cruise if I had a GPS thingy for my
iPhone so that I could see what island we were passing. Anyway that you
can get one for the Caribbean that you can use w/o needing to be
connected to Internet or cell phone tower?

Motion-GPS is one you can get. You will have to download the maps while
connected to the Internet. After that you don't have to be connected.

thanks

Don't necessarily count on the GPS antenna working though. On Charles'
ATT iPHone 4, he was able to get a location while in the Bahamas. On my
Verizon iPhone 4 I couldn't at the same location on the ship. When I
went to the Apple Store about the issue later, they said there is no way
to check was was going on. They just gave me a new phone but said don't
count on it working either. The Verizon and ATT phones are different
inside, so that could have been the issue. Or maybe his was getting
enough cell signals from islands so it could triangulate. And it's not
like there weren't GPS satellites in range in the sky. My Garmin hand
held showed a sky full of satellites. And my hand held Garmin caught a
signal in less than 60 seconds while Charles' iPhone took much longer.
And mine didn't catch at all.

So don't count on it.

And also understand that even if you do get the GPS to connect, you
won't be able to get maps via internet connection. So you will have to
preload and save the maps for the idea to work (if you do catch satellites).

But to be honest, the best option is a small hand held Garmin.
Old January 18th, 2012, 06:44 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
Tom K wrote:

And also understand that even if you do get the GPS to connect, you
won't be able to get maps via internet connection. So you will have to
preload and save the maps for the idea to work (if you do catch satellites).

But to be honest, the best option is a small hand held Garmin.

I've got a TomTom that I can put in my car and also run around with (at
least until the battery dies. Can I get maritime maps for that. Might be
cheaper all of the way around.
Thanks to both for your input.

Old January 18th, 2012, 06:54 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

On 1/18/12 12:44 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In ,
Tom wrote:

And also understand that even if you do get the GPS to connect, you
won't be able to get maps via internet connection. So you will have to
preload and save the maps for the idea to work (if you do catch satellites).

But to be honest, the best option is a small hand held Garmin.

I've got a TomTom that I can put in my car and also run around with (at
least until the battery dies. Can I get maritime maps for that. Might be
cheaper all of the way around.
Thanks to both for your input.

Scroll down and see if it shows a lot of the Caribbean. It may already
show most of the islands. Maybe not road detail, but at least the
islands. It may have a mini USB charger port on it. You should be able
to charge it.

Old January 18th, 2012, 07:44 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
Tom K wrote:

Scroll down and see if it shows a lot of the Caribbean. It may already
show most of the islands. Maybe not road detail, but at least the
islands. It may have a mini USB charger port on it. You should be able
to charge it.

I'll check. I will have the laptop, so I can charge it. Cool

Old January 18th, 2012, 07:45 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

Tom K wrote:

My Garmin hand held showed a sky full of satellites. And my hand held
Garmin caught a signal in less than 60 seconds while Charles' iPhone took
much longer. And mine didn't catch at all.

So don't count on it.

The iPhone GPS is assisted GPS. That means that the cell network provides
an assist. If you are not connected to the cell network the GPS will take a
lot longer to get the signal.

Another oddity on the ship, the Nieuw Amsterdam was that I had no problem
recieving and sending text messages with my AT&T iPhone when connected to
Cellular at Sea. Tom had issues with his Verizon iPhone.

--
Charles
Old January 18th, 2012, 08:23 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

On 1/18/12 1:45 PM, Charles wrote:
Tom wrote:

My Garmin hand held showed a sky full of satellites. And my hand held
Garmin caught a signal in less than 60 seconds while Charles' iPhone took
much longer. And mine didn't catch at all.

So don't count on it.

The iPhone GPS is assisted GPS. That means that the cell network provides
an assist. If you are not connected to the cell network the GPS will take a
lot longer to get the signal.

Another oddity on the ship, the Nieuw Amsterdam was that I had no problem
recieving and sending text messages with my AT&T iPhone when connected to
Cellular at Sea. Tom had issues with his Verizon iPhone.

But my Verizon iPhone worked fine for texting on the HAL Veendam earlier
in the summer.

As the cell phone networks evolve, there seem to be lots of "glitches"...
Old January 18th, 2012, 08:35 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

Tom K wrote:

But my Verizon iPhone worked fine for texting on the HAL Veendam earlier in the summer.

As the cell phone networks evolve, there seem to be lots of "glitches"...

Likely the issue was with Cellular at Sea on that particular ship.
Something was misconfigured with their Verizon connection

--
Charles