Ryanair: 25 pounds to check a bag

Old May 6th, 2008, 08:19 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tims next home

Default Ryanair: 25 pounds to check a bag

Price per bag up to 8 GBP plus cost to check in at desk 4 GBP so that 24
Pounds per return trip to check in a single bag (OK I exaggerated in the
headline!).

That's more than I am used to for paying for the whole flight (less genuine
taxes).

And Molly patronisingly says "We will continue to increase baggage fees
until half of our passengers check-in online". Does he think that people
check in bags for fun.

I'm off on holiday today and I have just managed to get my stuff in a carry
on bag. But that's an EZY carry on bag with no weight limit and 20% larger
dimensions than FR. I would have failed to manage this with a Ryanair sized
bag. And I have compromised on the stuff I am taking to manage it at all: I
have my small crappy camera instead of the big one that I prefer to take,
and I'm allowed insufficient liquid toiletries so that I'm going to have to
buy stuff when I arrive which I will have to throw away part used (I do hate
the effect on the earth's resources of this throw away society!).

I really do think that he is going too far with these new charges.

tim

Old May 6th, 2008, 09:51 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ned Flanders

On 6 May, 09:19, "tims next home" wrote:

[...]

instead of throwing it away, give it to some poor people, you'll feel
better....and they will smell better....
charging more for bags is a good idea though, it will make people
think hard about the crap they normally take.
Old May 6th, 2008, 01:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_2_]

tims wrote on Tue, 6 May 2008 08:19:50 +0100:

Price per bag up to 8 GBP plus cost to check in at desk 4 GBP
so that 24 Pounds per return trip to check in a single bag (OK
I exaggerated in the headline!).

That's more than I am used to for paying for the whole flight
(less genuine taxes).

And Molly patronisingly says "We will continue to increase
baggage fees until half of our passengers check-in online".
Does he think that people check in bags for fun.

I've never flown Ryanair but I wonder if their luggage policies
could be considered age discrimnation? Seniors will be charged
more because they are incapable of manhandling heavy carryon
luggage or, as is not unusual, they have to bring more things
with them.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Old May 6th, 2008, 01:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On 6 May, 08:19, "tims next home" wrote:

[...]

Its amazing how sensitive people are to these charges... as if they
have been mugged. Yet they only underline how cheap the flight is. I
wonder what is the lease cost of a 737 (inc maintenance)..? And even
Ryanair cabin crew have to be paid something....

Once a hotel tried to add 1 Euro to my bill "for charity". The idea
was it is an easy way to collect money if it is by 'default'. Of
course I was having none of it... it really screws up expense claims
which then have to be split into 2 items and converted into local
currrency. I would have agreed if it was a separate charge but then
that would have been 2 x the the credit card processing fee which I
guess would have wiped out the 1 Euro..!

tim

Old May 6th, 2008, 05:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On 6 May, 14:45, central wrote:
On Tue, 06 May 2008 12:25:03 +0000, James Silverton wrote:
tims *wrote *on Tue, 6 May 2008 08:19:50 +0100:

Price per bag up to 8 GBP plus cost to check in at desk 4 GBP so that
24 Pounds per return trip to check in a single bag (OK I exaggerated in
the headline!).

That's more than I am used to for paying for the whole flight (less
genuine taxes).

And Molly patronisingly says "We will continue to increase baggage fees
until half of our passengers check-in online". Does he think that
people check in bags for fun.

I've never flown Ryanair but I wonder if their luggage policies could be
considered age discrimnation? Seniors will be charged more because they
are incapable of manhandling heavy carryon luggage or, as is not
unusual, they have to bring more things with them.

Anyone (senior or otherwise) who cant manage a 10kg bag would be very ill
advised to fly with Ryanair. Its best described as an 'interesting'
experience.

BA had policy that you had to be able to lift your own bag into the
locker. When I was on Ryanair I had to help a guy who was too
bladdered to get his (oversized) bag into the locker above his seat.
Naturally I watched his pathetic attempts for a couple of minutes to
see if the cabin staff would intervene (at check-in and security it
was obvious he and is pal were totally wasted, but he was allowed to
board).

Needless to say he slumped forward against the headrest and snored
like a warthog throughout the flight.

Old May 6th, 2008, 06:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

tims next home wrote:

Price per bag up to 8 GBP plus cost to check in at desk 4 GBP so that 24
Pounds per return trip to check in a single bag (OK I exaggerated in the
headline!).

That's more than I am used to for paying for the whole flight (less genuine
taxes).

And Molly patronisingly says "We will continue to increase baggage fees
until half of our passengers check-in online". Does he think that people
check in bags for fun.

No, but if you have to pay for it, you think twice. We certainly do
nowadays. Checking in luggage incurs an extra cost to an airline- it's
perfectly understandable they target it, not least given the other
things targetted- credit card fees for example.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate -www.davidhorne.net
(email address on website) "If people think God is interesting, the
Old May 6th, 2008, 07:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Andy Pandy

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" wrote in
message ...
No, but if you have to pay for it, you think twice. We certainly do
nowadays. Checking in luggage incurs an extra cost to an airline-

it's
perfectly understandable they target it, not least given the other
things targetted- credit card fees for example.

But they target debit cards too - and they charge *per passenger per
leg*, so AIUI a family of 4 on a return trip would pay 8 debit card
charges!! Even though only one payment is taken!

--
Andy

Old May 6th, 2008, 07:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Lennart Petersen

"tims next home" skrev i meddelandet

Price per bag up to 8 GBP plus cost to check in at desk 4 GBP so that 24
Pounds per return trip to check in a single bag (OK I exaggerated in the
headline!).

That's more than I am used to for paying for the whole flight (less
genuine taxes).

And Molly patronisingly says "We will continue to increase baggage fees
until half of our passengers check-in online". Does he think that people
check in bags for fun.

No they don't . But you've a choice to travel Ryan or not. And you've
probably a choice to have a carry-on or not. As it's much money involved
with checked luggage handling I think it's fair that those using that
service have to pay for it.
Don't like it ? Just go with another airline.