Ryanair to abolish check-in desks

Old February 22nd, 2009, 01:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Roland Perry[_1_]

Default Ryanair to abolish check-in desks

In message , at 12:26:34 on Sun, 22
Feb 2009, tim..... remarked:
I once tried to carry on a very small bag on an Air Berlin flight and the
check in staff wouldn't let me because it was a kilo over their ridiculously
tiny weight allowance (5K IIRC) I had to stand there and remove all the
heavy, but small Items, and stuff them into my coat pockets (fortunately it
was spring and I was wearing one!)

That was a problem when we had toddlers and used to carry milk (for
feeding). Of course, that has other "issues" now as well. The only time
someone tried to bounce my hand baggage as overweight was Emirates (7kg
I think). It was a while ago, but I probably transferred a book to my
checked luggage.
--
Roland Perry
Old February 22nd, 2009, 01:51 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe
Chris Game

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 11:25:24 +0100, Lüko Willms wrote:

Passport control is nothing to do with airlines.

They check your passport at the boarding gate anyway to ensure
that you are the person named on the boarding pass.

No, why should they?

It's the only check against multiple boarding passes being printed
and used on that flight.

--
Chris Game

"Deleted code has fewer bugs." -- Xibo
Old February 22nd, 2009, 02:54 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"Chris Game" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 11:25:24 +0100, Lüko Willms wrote:

Passport control is nothing to do with airlines.

They check your passport at the boarding gate anyway to ensure
that you are the person named on the boarding pass.

No, why should they?

It's the only check against multiple boarding passes being printed
and used on that flight.

I think they might notice when they have more people on the plane that they
expect.

If they can't reconcile the head count on the plane, it's all off and start
again.

Oh what fun that must be

tim

Old February 22nd, 2009, 03:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Neil Williams

On 22 Feb, 09:19, Roland Perry wrote:

The "full service" airline may also give free upgrades to selected
passengers into Business and even First, to free up more seats in the
back of the plane - rather than flying with empty seats up front and
economy passengers refused travel.

I was "upgraded" by KLM once, but it wasn't an upgrade because I was
moved from the emergency exit window seat on the 2 seat side of a
Fokker 100 to a middle seat in the business class bit. Wasn't
impressed, though the food was nice.

Neil
Old February 22nd, 2009, 03:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Neil Williams

On 22 Feb, 12:26, "tim....." wrote:

I once tried to carry on a very small bag on an Air Berlin flight and the
check in staff wouldn't let me because it was a kilo over their ridiculously
tiny weight allowance (5K IIRC) *

KLM was nominally 5kg (or was it 10?) but they *never* enforced it
when I was going back and forth weekly.

Neil
Old February 22nd, 2009, 03:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Neil Williams

On 22 Feb, 11:04, pete wrote:

Since the cheapo airlines charge a lot (in comparison to the cost of a
seat) for hold baggage, as you can't use the online checkins, there are
a lot of people who will squeeze *everything* into carry-on. From my
personal experience, the limitation to the number of people you can get
on a low-cost flight is not the number of seats, but the amount of
overhead stowage. It seems to me very unsafe - to have people with
vast amounts of carry-on on a flight, so restricting it gets my vote.

A lot of people seem to think that, but I don't see why it's *that*
unsafe so long as the overhead bins are designed properly so they
won't burst open in heavy turbulence.

Neil
Old February 22nd, 2009, 03:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Neil Williams

On 22 Feb, 09:36, Roland Perry wrote:

Came back from Berlin on a very new Ryanair plane last week (first time
I've flown with them in perhaps 15 years) and was very impressed at the
size of the luggage bins (much larger than normal

I thought they were standard 737-800s (on which the bins are slightly
larger than the -300/400/500 series). Have they perhaps specified a
larger-bin variant for their newest planes, I wonder?

Neil
Old February 22nd, 2009, 03:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
MC

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 12:26:34 on Sun, 22 Feb
2009, tim..... remarked:

That was a problem when we had toddlers and used to carry milk (for
feeding). Of course, that has other "issues" now as well. The only time
someone tried to bounce my hand baggage as overweight was Emirates (7kg I
think). It was a while ago, but I probably transferred a book to my
checked luggage.
--

Qantas weighed my wifes carry bag once and found it was a couple of kilo
over so rather than make us put the stuff in our cases they "gave" us one of

MC

Old February 22nd, 2009, 03:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
MC

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message
, at
02:23:03 on Sun, 22 Feb 2009, Mel Rowing
remarked:
On Feb 22, 9:41 am, Roland Perry wrote:

Passport control is nothing to do with airlines.

Of course it is. If the airline flies someone who does not have the
credentials to enter the destination country, they get a hefty fine from
the authorities (as well as having to arrange to take them back).

If a passenger does not have the appropriate documentation he will not
be boarded that much is true.

Exactly so. It is that documentation check which will become more
"interesting" after Ryanair abolishes check-in desks.

Will be done at the gate.

MC

Old February 22nd, 2009, 03:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc
johannes[_3_]

Roland Perry wrote:

In message
, at
13:17:32 on Sat, 21 Feb 2009, Lord Truscott of Brownenvelope
remarked:
The carrier said that 75% of its passengers already checked in online.

That's fine, as long as you can check in well in advance.

Easyjet seem to allow you to check in as soon as you book, but BMI-Baby
only 48hrs in advance (until recently it was just 24hrs). The latter is
extremely impractical if you are doing a return trip.

Spokesman Stephen McNamara said the airline saw the move as the
"logical next step" in an effort to pass on savings to passengers
through reduced fares.

What, reduced even more than the "no check-in" fares they currently
offer? Surely the current check-in process is adequately funded by the
£15 fee for 2 minutes work.

Ryanair chief executive Michael O'Leary told the Daily Telegraph that
passengers will be able to leave their luggage at a bag drop but
otherwise everything will be done online.

Many airlines now encourage either online or "kiosk" check-in, followed
if required by a "bag drop". The problem being that the queues for he
bag drop are generally worse than for check-in. I have had very poor
experiences of bag-drops from BA (one of the first) KLM and
(surprisingly perhaps) Emirates. Easyjet bag drop has been fine.

Twice I have tried the KLM machine which automatically reads your passport
and the online ticket. Twice it didn't work. It kept saying: "Your Boarding
Pass is now being printed", but nothing emerged after 5 minutes. Presumably,
the machine had run out of paper. In that situation in an airport, you get
very nervous of not getting on the plane. Luckily, there was a staffed
check-in desk.