Ryanair to abolish check-in desks

Old February 22nd, 2009, 05:04 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe
Roland Perry[_1_]

Default Ryanair to abolish check-in desks

In message
, at
08:28:39 on Sun, 22 Feb 2009, The Real Doctor
remarked:
It's the only check against multiple boarding passes being printed
and used on that flight.

Apart from that bit at security where they scan your boarding pass and
your name pops up on their screen.

That depends - they don't scan them everywhere (eg not at Geneva or
Schiphol) until the gate.
--
Roland Perry
Old February 22nd, 2009, 05:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc
Roland Perry[_1_]

In message , at 16:09:46 on Sun, 22
Feb 2009, rail remarked:
The other problem with Ryanair is that you can't check-in on-line if someone
else is buying the ticket. At least you couldn't last year.

It's not in their current list of reasons not to check in online.

By "someone else buying the ticket" I presume you mean the credit card
is in a different name to the ticket? Always true of at least n-1 of the
people on a group booking, presumably, but they only mention groups of
9+
--
Roland Perry
Old February 22nd, 2009, 05:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
tim.....

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

"MC" wrote

They sited saftey issues of one bag
weighing more than 6 kilo should it fall from the overheads.

Though 5 kg wouldn't be exactly pleasant if it fell on your bonce.

but if other airlines allow 15, then that must be a safe amount mustn't it?

For LCCs, a stupidly low carry on amount is all about making you PAY to
check the bag and has got sod all to do with safety

tim

Old February 22nd, 2009, 05:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Neil Williams

On 22 Feb, 17:20, "tim....." wrote:

but if other airlines allow 15, then that must be a safe amount mustn't it?

Depends on your view. A lot of people on PPRune (Pilot's Professional
Rumour Network) think the trend towards heavy hand luggage *is*
dangerous. Given how few incidents you hear about of stuff falling on
peoples' heads even in heavy turbulence, I personally take the view
that it isn't.

By your same argument, though, easyJet and BA have no limit (other
than that you can lift it in yourself[1][2]). That must surely be
safe? (My view is that it's safe *enough* - clearly no hand luggage
at all is safer.)

For LCCs, a stupidly low carry on amount is all about making you PAY to
check the bag and has got sod all to do with safety

I actually disagree. LCCs don't like handling checked luggage as it's
costly in general. Small hand-luggage limits tend to have historical
origins, and are sporadically enforced in most cases anyway (ref my
other post about KLM never enforcing it).

[1] I can lift quite a lot of weight above my head. I am genuinely
interested to know what their view would be on me carrying on
something very heavy, e.g. bricks, though that may fall foul of
security, I suppose, as they could be used as weapons.

[2] This also begs the question as to what to do about someone who
physically can't lift anything in, be that due to being very short or
be it because they have some sort of medical problem, though they are
otherwise fully fit to fly. Should such people be exempted from the
charge to check it in, or should assistance be provided, perhaps?

Neil
Old February 22nd, 2009, 06:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Paul Weaver

On 22 Feb, 17:40, Neil Williams wrote:
On 22 Feb, 17:20, "tim....." wrote:

but if other airlines allow 15, then that must be a safe amount mustn't it?

Depends on your view. *A lot of people on PPRune (Pilot's Professional
Rumour Network) think the trend towards heavy hand luggage *is*
dangerous. *Given how few incidents you hear about of stuff falling on
peoples' heads even in heavy turbulence, I personally take the view
that it isn't.

By your same argument, though, easyJet and BA have no limit (other
than that you can lift it in yourself[1][2]). *That must surely be
safe? *(My view is that it's safe *enough* - clearly no hand luggage
at all is safer.)

Not flying is safest

[1] I can lift quite a lot of weight above my head. *I am genuinely
interested to know what their view would be on me carrying on
something very heavy, e.g. bricks, though that may fall foul of
security, I suppose, as they could be used as weapons.

Doubt it, weapon checks tend to be stable-door related. After-all,
glass shards from a duty free bottle can be pretty effective weapons.

At least they're not insisting on straight-jacketing everyone in case
you get martialarts experts.

Still annoyed that Eurostar metal-detect you, one of the reasons I
limit my flying. There's no reason for it, what can you do if you
smuggle a gun on board that you can't do smuggling a gun on board a
pendilino to Glasgow, or an HST through the Bristol Channel Tunnel?

They presumably don't metal-detect people boarding at Lille heading
for Brussels, they certainly don't metal-detect people using le
Shuttle.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 06:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc
rail

In message
Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 16:09:46 on Sun, 22
Feb 2009, rail remarked:
The other problem with Ryanair is that you can't check-in on-line if
someone else is buying the ticket. At least you couldn't last year.

It's not in their current list of reasons not to check in online.

By "someone else buying the ticket" I presume you mean the credit card
is in a different name to the ticket?

Yes

Always true of at least n-1 of the
people on a group booking, presumably, but they only mention groups of
9+

Don't know but every time I tried to check-in online it wouldn't let me.

--
Graeme Wall

This address not read, substitute trains for rail
Transport Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Old February 22nd, 2009, 07:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc
DVH[_1_]

"Mel Rowing" wrote in message
On Feb 22, 12:49 pm, Chris Game wrote:
On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 01:23:34 -0800 (PST), Mel Rowing wrote:
I think I have had my last flight with Ryanair. It's no longer the
deal it used to be. My latest jaunt was by Swiss International
from London City. I can recommend London City over the others for
a start. My flight took me straight into a main airport and not
one 100 miles away.We thus saved on transport costs at the other
end, We had an allocated seat and refreshments were served en
route. It cost us just over £30 extra.

If that was Easyjet to Geneva it would double the cost of the
flight!

My calculation was based on RyanAir Stanstead to Basle which I
estimated would cost us both ~£200 return. We never take early or late
flights to Europe.

I wanted to be in Zurich. I cannot get from Basle to Zurich for
nothing especially in these straitened times. I was able to get London
to Zurich and back for £230 Especially taking into account all the
other advantages associated with travelling scheduled vis a vis
Ryanair I don't think I got too bad a deal.

Here in S London I've given up on Stansted altogether, and avoid Heathrow. A
nearby fast train connection means I can be in Gatwick 50 minutes after
leaving the house.

That limits available destinations, but flying to Geneva then getting on a
train to Lyon made more sense than trying for a direct flight from somewhere
in East Anglia. Getting to Italy from LGW isn't great but Switzerland and
Belgium is OK in my experience.

Old February 22nd, 2009, 08:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Roland Perry[_1_]

In message
, at
09:40:51 on Sun, 22 Feb 2009, Neil Williams
remarked:
For LCCs, a stupidly low carry on amount is all about making you PAY to
check the bag and has got sod all to do with safety

I actually disagree. LCCs don't like handling checked luggage as it's
costly in general.

But they seem to delight in swatting a few "over-luggaged" people at the
gate - presumably the marginal cost of dealing with these is zero [1] so
it's all "extra money" and also "encouraging the others".

[1] I've seen them put the 'excess' bags on the same bus as taking the
passengers to the plane (and an airline employee who is already there
just puts them in the hold), which seems to exclude them from any
charges levied by the departing airport. If the receiving airport
charges per "properly checked in" bag, which seems quite likely, then
there's no cost there either.
--
Roland Perry
Old February 22nd, 2009, 08:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Roland Perry[_1_]

In message
, at
10:22:52 on Sun, 22 Feb 2009, Paul Weaver
remarked:
weapon checks tend to be stable-door related. After-all,
glass shards from a duty free bottle can be pretty effective weapons.

I was talking to someone last week who was allowed to board with a can
of fruit (pineapple chunks) - which you might have expected to fail on
at least two counts: Being full of liquid, and also the peel-off top is
quite sharp and could be used as a weapon. Failing that, a bump on the
head from a well aimed one could also be quite nasty (see Crocodile
Dundee in New York).
--
Roland Perry
Old February 22nd, 2009, 11:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Steve Rainbird[_2_]

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
news
In message
, at
15:47:42 on Sat, 21 Feb 2009, The Real Doctor
remarked:
Am I right in thinking that the online check in restriction is on
traveling with infants - ie less than two years old, sharing a seat?

From the Ryanair website - the current list of who *can't* check in
online (each will have a reason, whether immediately obvious or not)
with infants at no 4:

[passengers without an EU/EAA/Swiss passport or ID card]
* Passengers travelling with checked baggage
* Children aged between 14 to 17 years travelling alone
* Passengers travelling with infants
* Passengers travelling with mobility equipment (including
children's pushchairs)
* Passengers with reduced mobility, blind/vision impaired passengers
including those travelling with a sighted companion or guide dog
* Passengers who require special assistance at the airport
* Online Check-In is not available from Romanian or Moroccan
airports.
* Passengers travelling on a passport which is due to expire within
30 days from the date of travel.
* When there are more than 9 passengers booked in a reservation
* Passengers travelling on the same reservation with a passenger who
is not entitled to Online Check-in.
* Passengers who have booked and extra seat for the carriage of
musical instruments etc. or for comfort.

... so every single one of those will have to be overcome to introduce
online-only check in.

Some are clearly 'logistical' - eg various kinds of special assistance
required; and may be replaced by some sort of "not a check-in honest" at
the bag drop. The 'regulatory' ones, like "does this Australian have a
visa for Morocco", "This passport only has three weeks left" and "are we
allowed to let 14yr olds wander around alone" will be more interesting.

[I note that BMIBaby only restricts unaccompanied 14-15 year olds, for
example).
--
Roland Perry

What is the difference between check-in and bag-drop?

I check-in online because i like to choose my seat but obviously that's not
possible with Ryanair anyway.

--
Steve