Ryanair to abolish check-in desks

Old February 24th, 2009, 09:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc
Graham Murray

Default Ryanair to abolish check-in desks

Roland Perry writes:

By "someone else buying the ticket" I presume you mean the credit card
is in a different name to the ticket? Always true of at least n-1 of
the people on a group booking, presumably, but they only mention
groups of 9+

Or presumably where the ticket is purchased by the employer rather than
the employee charging it to their own (personal or company) credit card
and claiming on expenses.
Old February 24th, 2009, 09:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Graham Murray

Roland Perry writes:

I suspect that people with a "non EU/EAA/Swiss" passport will be asked
to use the bag drop "not a check-in desk honest guv".

And what if they have no luggage? While it may be unusual, it is not at
all impossible on a morning flight to Europe as the person could be
returning that afternoon.
Old February 24th, 2009, 09:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Roland Perry[_1_]

In message , at 21:32:28 on Tue,
24 Feb 2009, Graham Murray remarked:
I suspect that people with a "non EU/EAA/Swiss" passport will be asked
to use the bag drop "not a check-in desk honest guv".

And what if they have no luggage?

Just the same. The bag-drop is a stand-in for the current check-in
process. When they try to check in online it will refuse, and tell them
what to do next.

--
Roland Perry
Old February 24th, 2009, 09:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc
Roland Perry[_1_]

In message , at 21:27:14 on Tue,
24 Feb 2009, Graham Murray remarked:
By "someone else buying the ticket" I presume you mean the credit card
is in a different name to the ticket? Always true of at least n-1 of
the people on a group booking, presumably, but they only mention
groups of 9+

Or presumably where the ticket is purchased by the employer rather than
the employee charging it to their own (personal or company) credit card
and claiming on expenses.

Except I don't see that as a restriction (preventing online check-in)
according to their current rules. It might have been once, or it might
still be on other airlines. Can't see it on Ryanair today.
--
Roland Perry
Old February 24th, 2009, 10:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Paul Weaver

On 23 Feb, 13:18, David Hansen
wrote:
On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 10:22:52 -0800 (PST) someone who may be Paul
Weaver wrote this:-

Doubt it, weapon checks tend to be stable-door related. After-all,
glass shards from a duty free bottle can be pretty effective weapons.

The underwires in bras can be used in much the same way as needles,
yet only needles are stolen by jobsworths.

Still annoyed that Eurostar metal-detect you, one of the reasons I
limit my flying. There's no reason for it,

I disagree. There is no useful reason for it. After all someone
could stand at the lineside with a sub machine gun, bomb, rocket
propelled grenade launcher or whatever and attack the train.
However, there is a pointless reason for it, party politicians and
officials can say that they have "done something". This helps them
reassure the stupid. They consider that a very important reason, I
consider it shows that they are idiots.

they certainly don't metal-detect people using le Shuttle.

They are motorists. Party politicians and officials don't like doing
pointless things to motorists.

Duuno, speed cameras on the M25

I'm a motorist too, they do pointless things like eurostar metal
detecting to me.

Come to think of it, I'm fairly sure my bag was xrayed, and I had to
go through an arch, at Harwich when I went to Holland by boat.
Old February 24th, 2009, 10:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc
rail

In message
Graham Murray wrote:

Roland Perry writes:

By "someone else buying the ticket" I presume you mean the credit card
is in a different name to the ticket? Always true of at least n-1 of
the people on a group booking, presumably, but they only mention
groups of 9+

Or presumably where the ticket is purchased by the employer rather than
the employee charging it to their own (personal or company) credit card
and claiming on expenses.

Which is, more or less, my situation.

--
Graeme Wall

This address not read, substitute trains for rail
Transport Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Old February 25th, 2009, 08:26 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc
Roland Perry[_1_]

In message , at 22:10:18 on Tue,
24 Feb 2009, rail remarked:
By "someone else buying the ticket" I presume you mean the credit card
is in a different name to the ticket? Always true of at least n-1 of
the people on a group booking, presumably, but they only mention
groups of 9+

Or presumably where the ticket is purchased by the employer rather than
the employee charging it to their own (personal or company) credit card
and claiming on expenses.

Which is, more or less, my situation.

They don't seem to be worrying about employer/employee ticket purchases
or groups of 8 and less, at the moment.
--
Roland Perry
Old February 25th, 2009, 09:18 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc
rail

In message
Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 22:10:18 on Tue,
24 Feb 2009, rail remarked:
By "someone else buying the ticket" I presume you mean the credit card
is in a different name to the ticket? Always true of at least n-1 of
the people on a group booking, presumably, but they only mention
groups of 9+

Or presumably where the ticket is purchased by the employer rather than
the employee charging it to their own (personal or company) credit card
and claiming on expenses.

Which is, more or less, my situation.

They don't seem to be worrying about employer/employee ticket purchases
or groups of 8 and less, at the moment.

I shall see come May (not expecting to have to travel Ryanair before then).

Old February 26th, 2009, 03:40 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Lennart Petersen

"Graham Murray" skrev i meddelandet
Roland Perry writes:

I suspect that people with a "non EU/EAA/Swiss" passport will be asked
to use the bag drop "not a check-in desk honest guv".

And what if they have no luggage? While it may be unusual, it is not at
all impossible on a morning flight to Europe as the person could be
returning that afternoon.

And furthermore it's not unusual nowadays with carry-on luggage only.
Ryanair allowance is 8kg handluggage and the airline expect that in a near
future only one out of five have checked luggage.

Old February 26th, 2009, 08:16 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.railway,uk.politics.misc,alt.travel.uk.air
Roland Perry[_1_]

In message , at 03:40:51 on Thu, 26
Feb 2009, Lennart Petersen remarked:
I suspect that people with a "non EU/EAA/Swiss" passport will be asked
to use the bag drop "not a check-in desk honest guv".

And what if they have no luggage? While it may be unusual, it is not at
all impossible on a morning flight to Europe as the person could be
returning that afternoon.

And furthermore it's not unusual nowadays with carry-on luggage only.

Please explain why you think you can evade airline visa checks simply by
carrying hand baggage only.

Ryanair allowance is 8kg handluggage

10kg, actually. Although they don't have the facility to weight it, if
you check in online. All they care about is the size. If that is
strictly applied, many people have oversize bags - it's the 20cm maximum
"thickness" that is the biggest problem (that's just 8 inches for us
UK-based oldies); hold-alls and back-packs are almost always bigger than
that in every dimension.

and the airline expect that in a near future only one out of five have
checked luggage.

By increasing the price - charging a lot to check in, sorry, "use the
bag drop".
--
Roland Perry