Flight MH370: What are they hiding?

Old June 16th, 2014, 01:13 PM posted to rec.travel.air
nam sak

Default Flight MH370: What are they hiding?

I am not as convinced as Mr. Goodfellow that it was an accident but
his article is worth reading. It is non sensational and tries restrict
itself to known facts. Agreed the known unknown cargo issue is major
but with the amount of obfuscation the Malaysians have been guilty of
I would be just as, if not more interested in the unknown unknowns.

It seems common sense to say that the Malaysians should not be in
charge of the investigation. The major problem with that is that the
Malaysians are probably the only ones that have any idea what happened
and will simply continue to cover up, falsify and destroy evidence if
they are not allowed to give their false findings.

I have a suspicion the relatives' whistle blower fund has the best
chance of getting to the bottom of this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ey-hiding.html

Flight MH370: What are they hiding?

Former pilot Chris Goodfellow maintains his view that the loss of
MH370 was due to an accident but says matters should be turned over to
Britain's Air Accidents Investigation Branch to find out what really
happened
By Chris Goodfellow
7:01AM BST 16 Jun 2014
In the early days of the search of MH370, when the mainstream media
was favouring a terrorism-hijacking scenario or questioning if one of
the pilots was suicidal, I put forward an alternative theory - that
the loss of the airplane might have been the result of an accident.
This theory was picked up on the web and went viral. I did not seek or
expect such an enormous response: I wrote simply as a pilot with some
knowledge of the issues defending two fellow pilots who were being
much-maligned and who could not defend themselves.
More than three months have elapsed since the Boeing 777 vanished
after taking off from Kuala Lumpur in the early hours of March 8,
bound for Beijing. Yet the mystery of how a modern aircraft can
disappear from the face of the earth continues to fascinate and
appall. In this era, when delivery companies like UPS and FedEx
routinely track vehicles via global satellite positioning (GPS), it
seems incredible that this passenger jet, capable of auto-landing in
total fog, did not carry a device broadcasting its position in real
time and independent of all other systems on board. If one good thing
comes out of this accident, it will be a new regulation making the
fitting of such a device compulsory.
Since the aircraft belonged to Malaysian Airlines and the incident is
presumed to have started in Malaysian airspace, the lead nation in the
investigation is Malaysia. In my opinion, this is the Achilles heel of
the inquiry. The majority owner of Malaysian Airlines Systems (MAS) is
PMB, a Malaysian government holding company. MAS has clocked up net
losses of $1.3?billion (£766?million) in the past three years. This is
a clear conflict of interest, which has resulted, intentionally or
otherwise, in a bungled investigation. If the bungling is intentional,
then might it have something to do with the cargo that MH370 was
carrying (more of which later)? Until this matter is resolved, the
disappearance will continue to be surrounded by conspiracy theories.
For me, the answer is clear: the one party benefiting from the
continuing state of confusion surrounding MH370 is Malaysia.
The disappearance of this twin-engine wide-body airliner is without
parallel in modern aviation, a mystery replete with questions. But
what is certain is that something fast and furious occurred on that
aircraft as it flew over the South China Sea.
There is always the possibility of design flaw in anything mechanical,
and there is an established procedure by which aircraft manufacturers
and regulators handle these issues. Service Bulletins (SBs) issued by
manufacturers, and Airworthiness Directives (ADs) issued by regulators
keep the industry informed. The Boeing 777 has had its share of such
notices, and there are two in particular that are relevant to MH370 -
one involving a short-circuit in the hose feeding emergency oxygen to
the crew, and one warning of possible rupturing of the aircraft
pressure vessel due to the mounting of a satellite communications
antenna.
The former was responsible for a well-documented accident (fortunately
on the ground at Cairo) involving an Egyptair 777. The resultant fire
destroyed the cabin and burned a hole through the plane, and would
have been catastrophic if it had occurred in mid-air. The satellite
antenna issue could also be fatal, tearing the aircraft's skin and
resulting in rapid depressurisation. It is time for the Malaysian
authorities to show that checks and modifications regarding these
issues and contained in SBs and ADs were complied with.
But the issue that requires most clarity remains the plane's cargo. It
took almost three weeks for the world to learn that MH370 had been
carrying a consignment of lithium-ion batteries. But we do not know
for sure how many. What else of a hazardous nature was being carried?
Published cargo records show neither the real shippers nor the real
recipients. The international community should demand total
transparency from the Malaysians in regard to this. After all, huge
resources have been spent by Australia, China, the United States and
others on the so-far fruitless search for debris in the Indian Ocean.
The US is party to the MH370 investigation for two reasons: American
citizens were aboard, and the aircraft was American-built. The FBI has
all but cleared Zaharie Ahmad Shah, the flight's captain, and Fariq
Abdul Hamid, his co-pilot, of deliberately causing the disaster. Sure,
the captain may have disagreed with his government on some issues, but
that does not make him a suicidal mass-murderer. If making a point was
his aim, why did he not nose his aircraft straight towards the
Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur, two of the world's tallest buildings
and a headline-grabbing target? His young co-pilot was about to get
married and had a wonderful career ahead of him. There is no evidence
of either man having been motivated by Islamic extremism.
In the end, everything comes back to the Malaysian authorities.
Criminal and civil liability can be big motivators when it comes to
cover-ups. If crucial maintenance checks - on the bonding of satellite
antennae for example - were being delayed by a loss-making airline to
save money, we need to know. If dangerous cargo was being carried to
augment revenues, we should be told. The wreckage of MH370 could give
us the answers, but we don't have it. The Malaysians need to come
clean.
I will maintain my view that the loss of MH370 was due to an accident
until it is proved otherwise. As I stated three months ago in my
online post, the crew were almost certainly dealing with a major
emergency when they made their unannounced turn to the west. Why west?
Because they were diverting towards the island of Langkawi, on the
west coast of Malaysia. Langkawi's international airport boasts a long
runway which is easy to approach, a must for a large aircraft in
trouble. The 777's silence could be accounted for by a sudden major
fire that knocked out all its systems, or the crew being distracted by
their tasks.
At the time that I proposed my theory, the only radar track produced
by the Malaysian military showed the aircraft turning west off its
scheduled flight path and tracking towards Penang. A few days later,
the Malaysians produced another track indicating that MH370 overflew
Penang before navigating up through the Straits of Malacca. These
course alterations were cited as evidence of human intervention, but
they could be the result of the autopilot making its way through
pre-programmed waypoints - if indeed the aircraft performed these
manoeuvres. Doubt has been cast on all the radar tracks produced by
Malaysia in relation to this matter. Maybe MH370 never went west.
Where to search now? There have been sightings from the Bay of Bengal
to the Maldives. For the moment, attention remains in the southern
Indian Ocean, way to the west of Australia. Mapping of the seabed is
expected to be followed by a renewed search in the late summer. That
region has been the focus of the search following pings received from
MH370 by an Inmarsat communications satellite. But these calculations
have been the subject of much controversy.
Only one thing is certain: Malaysia has lost all credibility in regard
to the MH370 investigation and should yield control to a competent and
impartial authority. That is why I believe matters should be turned
over to Britain's Air Accidents Investigation Branch. Founded in 1915,
it enjoys an unrivalled reputation for thoroughness and independence.
Maybe then we will begin to make some progress towards resolving the
mystery of the MH370 ghost flight.

Chris Goodfellow is a retired businessman and former pilot who lives
in Florida. He is a graduate of McGill and Cornell universities and a
former director of the Canadian Internet Registration Authority
Old June 18th, 2014, 04:25 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Another aspect with different point of view:
Story Claimed U.S Involved in Missing Malaysian Plan ... learn more @
http://mycommunitystar.com/new-story...alaysian-plan/

Old July 24th, 2014, 01:08 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Whytoi

On 2014-06-18 15:25:58 +0000, said:

Another aspect with different point of view:Story Claimed U.S Involved
in Missing Malaysian Plan ... learn more @
http://mycommunitystar.com/new-story...alaysian-plan/

LOL! Who is going to be able to understand the article?