Soon to Expire US Passport

Old October 9th, 2003, 04:13 PM
Yaofeng

Default Soon to Expire US Passport

"JMS" wrote in message ...
"Yaofeng" wrote in message
My son's passport expires on Jan. 4, 2004. Will he have a problem
visiting Paris during Thanksgiving?

He very well might. Many countries require a passport with at least 6 months
validity still on it. If it expires on Jan 4th, then this could be a
problem. You should check with the French Embassy/Consulate or the travel
agent

We took care of it last night just to be on the safe side. A five
minute drive to the local library, $40 check to passport services, $30
check to the library, and $8 to take pictures, all done in the library
in 30 minutes. My son is 15. We'll get another 5 year passport in
the mail for him before the 11/26 travel date.

I am glad my tax dollar is working.
Old October 9th, 2003, 06:40 PM
Peter L

"Yaofeng" wrote in message
om...
"JMS" wrote in message

"Yaofeng" wrote in message
My son's passport expires on Jan. 4, 2004. Will he have a problem
visiting Paris during Thanksgiving?

He very well might. Many countries require a passport with at least 6

months
validity still on it. If it expires on Jan 4th, then this could be a
problem. You should check with the French Embassy/Consulate or the

travel
agent

We took care of it last night just to be on the safe side. A five
minute drive to the local library, $40 check to passport services, $30
check to the library, and $8 to take pictures, all done in the library
in 30 minutes. My son is 15. We'll get another 5 year passport in
the mail for him before the 11/26 travel date.

I am glad my tax dollar is working.

You didn't get that passport renewed yet, did you? Didn't you just mailed
it in and now have to wait for it to come back?

Old October 10th, 2003, 12:51 AM
Yaofeng

"Peter L" wrote in message news:

We took care of it last night just to be on the safe side. A five
minute drive to the local library, $40 check to passport services, $30
check to the library, and $8 to take pictures, all done in the library
in 30 minutes. My son is 15. We'll get another 5 year passport in
the mail for him before the 11/26 travel date.

I am glad my tax dollar is working.

You didn't get that passport renewed yet, did you? Didn't you just mailed
it in and now have to wait for it to come back?

Yes. I did renew the passport for my son last night. The library
staff did mail it. Not me.
Old October 10th, 2003, 05:16 PM
Joseph Feng

Jenn wrote in message ...

since there is plenty of time why not just get the new passport?

If my recent experience is any guide, there is *not* plenty of time.
Even though my passport was not due to expire until December 2003, I
mailed my renewal in June. It took about eight weeks for my new
passport to arrive. And not only did I not get credited for the six
months from my old passport, but they cheated me out of another month
since it was "issued" in July and I did not receive it until August.
I wonder why it takes them so long. It is probably more evidence of
how efficiently W can run this government.