Checked baggage - what comes off first

Old October 4th, 2003, 09:49 PM
Howard Long

Default Checked baggage - what comes off first

A BBC TV program called Gate 24 tonight showed a non-scientific test
demonstrating the best time to check baggage to come off the plane first by
checking three bags: one at checkout opening, one about half way, and a
third at flight closure.

Basically it was last bag in, first bag out on the 737-700 from AMS to STN
(Amsterdam to London Stansted). So check in last if you want to get your
baggage off first.

Of course, many other factors should be taken into consideration such as
larger longhaul planes using cargo containers for baggage will add an
additional factor.

Personally, although interesting, I am convinced that whatever class you
travel, and whenever you check in, your own bag always seems to be the last
off the plane. ;-)

Kind Regards, Howard

Old October 4th, 2003, 10:03 PM
Mike Cordelli

When we were flying a connecting flight out of Frankfort, there were two
carts full of luggage sitting on the side of the plane as we taxied off,
there wasn't room for them on our plane. They went on the next plane.
Being last to check in isn't always the best idea.

I've checked in early, late, and everything in between, and never noticed a
real difference in when the bags came out. The assumption that if you check
in last that your bags are delivered last may not be at all true, it's just
a bunch of trailers hooked up and delivered over, it's not like they walk
each bag to the plane as you check in.

Old October 4th, 2003, 10:24 PM
Howard Long

"Mike Cordelli" wrote in message
om...
I've checked in early, late, and everything in between, and never noticed

real difference in when the bags came out.

I must admit that I concur with your findings.

Howard

Old October 5th, 2003, 11:11 AM
Sjoerd

"Howard Long" schreef in bericht
"Mike Cordelli" wrote in message
om...
I've checked in early, late, and everything in between, and never

noticed
real difference in when the bags came out.

I must admit that I concur with your findings.

Me too. The process seems to be completely random. "Priority" tags and
stickers also don't seem to make a difference.

Sjoerd

Old October 5th, 2003, 02:13 PM
Mikko Peltoniemi

Howard Long wrote:

Personally, although interesting, I am convinced that whatever class you
travel, and whenever you check in, your own bag always seems to be the last
off the plane. ;-)

Yes, the airport seems to have its own laws of physics, since this
happens to everybody. Kind of like the weird things that happen in
checkout lines.

Are first class, or business class, passengers' bags put in so,
that they're the first out of the plane? Do they get that kind of
special treatment?

--
Mikko Peltoniemi; Film & Video Editor, Avid Technician
Looking to edit in the US or Finland.

Old October 5th, 2003, 03:05 PM
Bjorn Munch

[Mikko Peltoniemi]:
Are first class, or business class, passengers' bags put in so,
that they're the first out of the plane? Do they get that kind of
special treatment?

The one time I flew OSL-EWR on SAS while being a Gold member of their
Eurobonus FF program, my suitcase was tagged with an orange Priority
sticker and it was the very first piece to come out, even before some
of the crew luggage.

- Bjorn Munch
Old October 5th, 2003, 03:19 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Sjoerd wrote:

"Howard Long" schreef in bericht

"Mike Cordelli" wrote in message
.com...
I've checked in early, late, and everything in between, and never
noticed a real difference in when the bags came out.

I must admit that I concur with your findings.

Me too. The process seems to be completely random. "Priority" tags and
stickers also don't seem to make a difference. Sjoerd

In my experience the "Priority" tags are usually used to expedite
transfers for close connections. The should affect the transfer time
but not the time to deliver for pickup.

FFM

Old October 5th, 2003, 03:41 PM
Howard Long

"Mikko Peltoniemi" wrote in message
Are first class, or business class, passengers' bags put in so,
that they're the first out of the plane? Do they get that kind of
special treatment?

Supposedly, on longhaul where cargo containers are often used to carry
baggage, the premium passenger baggage goes onto a special container which
is supposed to come off first. This does work sometimes, but in my
experience there are so many other factors to be taken into consideration
it's still luck of the draw.

On shorthaul where the bags are usually loaded on directly into the hold
either on conveyor belts or manually, maybe they pop them near the door.
Premium baggage is identified by a Priority baggage tag. In my experience,
whether anyone really pays much attention to the Prioity baggage tag is
doubtful! I would suggest they're far more likely to be under pressure to
unload/load the plane ASAP for a fast aircraft turnaround.

In my experience, the best way to get your baggage off quick is to travel on
small planes to small airports on commuter routes where there is little
baggage on board. London City, a very small commuter airport, once
apologised over the PA in their tiny carousel area for a baggage delay while
I waited. The baggage had taken barely five minutes to arrive!

Kind Regards, Howard

Old October 5th, 2003, 07:17 PM
Dick Locke

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 14:41:53 +0000 (UTC), "Howard Long"
wrote:

This does work sometimes, but in my
experience there are so many other factors to be taken into consideration
it's still luck of the draw.

I'm convinced that priority tags create some kind of populist response
in UA's baggage handlers that causes them to put them on the arrival
belt last.
Old October 5th, 2003, 07:20 PM
Canada Smiling

Howard Long wrote:
"Mike Cordelli" wrote in message
om...

I've checked in early, late, and everything in between, and never noticed

real difference in when the bags came out.

I must admit that I concur with your findings.

Howard

Bags come off the belt on to the bagage cart normaly placed one for hard
case one for soft they go onto plane on a random order and pull off as
they find them those that are loaded on the plane have specific stopts
but are unloaded at destination as they feel.
So no order can be arrived at