Travelling between Rome and the port in Civitavecchia

Old February 10th, 2009, 02:08 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jeff Gersten

Default Travelling between Rome and the port in Civitavecchia

How easy or difficult is this? Are the expensive transfers sold by the
cruise line the best and surest way to go, or is there a better way? I
am sure there is a less expensive way, but is it safe to do to get to
and from the ship and airport in time?

Old February 10th, 2009, 02:35 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Warren[_1_]

On Feb 10, 9:08*am, (Jeff Gersten) wrote:
How easy or difficult is this? Are the expensive transfers sold by the
cruise line the best and surest way to go, or is there a better way?

I've been researching this as well, Jeff. Unless it's just the two of
you the options aren't so swell.

You can take the train if you feel like shlepping luggage, and you run
the risk of having to haul your bags up and down stairs at the port
city (I'm not even going to attempt to spell Civita.etc. correctly).

Taxis are very expensive.

If you are sailing with other friends/family check out www.viator.com.
They have transfer services. It's actually more expensive than what
the cruise lines charge for two but it is a private vehicle rather
than being herded on a bus. The real savings come if you've got a
small group that can share the van.

Warren
Old February 10th, 2009, 03:43 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
number6

On Feb 10, 9:08*am, (Jeff Gersten) wrote:
How easy or difficult is this? Are the expensive transfers sold by the
cruise line the best and surest way to go, or is there a better way? I
am sure there is a less expensive way, but is it safe to do to get to
and from the ship and airport in time?

It's quite a distance between them ... We've taken the transfers
(supposedly part of a tour) ... and also the train ... and also a
taxi ...

Without carrying things, the train is quite easy with a little
learning ... There are different train operators, different seating
arrangements, etc. not like an American train ... with luggage it
won't be a comfortable trip ... It is a short pleasant seaside walk
from Civitavecchia Station to where the shuttles take you to the
ships ...

The transfers work well also as they pick your bags up at the carousel
and that is the last you see them until they are outside your door
onboard ... The bus ride takes awhile but you have pleasant
scenery ...

Taxis are very convenient but expensive, I recall nearly $100 or 100
euros ... there were 4 of us so it wasn't that bad ...

You can save a little on that by finding a van service ( 12
seaters) ... but I don't believe that is all that better than the ship
transfer ...

Having the ship transfer may very well be the most convenient and
least worrysome if you've not done it before ... They have reps there
for all questions are needs ...

Old February 10th, 2009, 05:55 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Susette

Taxis are very convenient but expensive, I recall nearly $100 or 100
euros ... there were 4 of us so it wasn't that bad ...

You can save a little on that by finding a van service ( 12
seaters) ... but I don't believe that is all that better than the ship
transfer ...

Having the ship transfer may very well be the most convenient and
least worrysome if you've not done it before ... They have reps there
for all questions are needs ...

I agree, if you do not have others your traveling with then take the
ship transfer. Reemember on the trains in italy there is alot of
Gypsies... Remember the Cher song? tramps and Thieves? well alot of
the Thieves. they are reallllllly good at it too SO just watch watch
watch your valuables.When we were there we hooked up with a group on
Cruise Critic and in Rome and Naples we had a private driver that took
us where we wanted to go. it was like $80 pp for the entire day and it
was tremendous. See certain vehicles can not go down certain roads in
Rome you need to have a special pass and the big buses have problems
with that we were zipping all around.
The trains there also have sporadic Strikes. they go in strike and
they shut down for the day....
So maybe the Transfer from the ship would be the best thing

I HIGHLY recommmend a book RICK STEVS ITALY. it is great