Southern Caribbean Beaches

Old January 28th, 2004, 11:02 PM
Stan Luszcz

Default Southern Caribbean Beaches

Any tips on beaches in St. Maarten, Barbados and Martinique? We're not
interested in shopping or ship tours but would like to get to some nice
beaches probably by cab. We'll be going mid April on the Carnival Legend.

Thanks

Old January 29th, 2004, 12:25 AM
Tom & Linda

In St. Martin I like Pinel Island. It's north of Orient Beach. Pinel
Islands is kind of like a private island similar to CocoCay, only it's not
limited to just cruise people. But it will be much less crowded than
CocoCay. There isn't much there... I'm not even sure if they have
electricity... but that's the beauty of it. Some ladies may go topless
there.

Folkstone Underwater Park in Barbados is the best place there for
snorkeling. It's one of the better snorkeling places in the Caribbean.
It's not a pretty beach by any means... but it's very nice once you get
underwater.

In Martinique, take the Ferry to Point du Bout. There are very nice beaches
there. Not much for snorkeling, but nice for beach stuff. It can have
topless ladies there as well. One time there we saw a young lady selling
bikinis on the beach. She would model them right there for you... and
change tops right in front of you. Our kids got a kick out of that a few
years ago.

--Tom

Old January 30th, 2004, 01:22 AM
PattyC

Default Eastern Caribbean Beaches

Along the same lines, my friends and I are going to St. Thomas, St. Marten,
and Nassau. We are already planning to go to Orient Beach in St. Marten.

Any other thoughts on how we can make our shore time interesting? We plan
to be in a very relaxed mode, but I'm not sure we can JUST lie on the beach
every day...

PattyC

Old January 30th, 2004, 09:15 PM
Christina

I assume you know about Orient Beach(?). Half of it is the nudist
club and the other is purely clothing optional...but a beautiful beach
and LOTS to look at! They have all kinds of water toy rentals there
so you don't have to lie around. You can be active. There is fairly
good shopping in St Marteen, but beware of the traffic after 2pm if
you go out on your own. We really had to hump it to get back to the
ship on time - makes some US traffic look tame! St Thomas is a
beautiful island just to ride around but abounds with great shopping
and good deals! Also have a place you can helmet dive, Coral
World(coralworldvi.com), or ride this scooter thing under the water.
One of most everyone's favorite stops. Nassau, you have the Straw
Market to shop at or go over to Paradise Isalnd and eat, gamble, or go
to their aquarium. We did a super speed boat over to a Cay and fed
sting rays. Plenty to do besides the beach.

Chris

Old February 13th, 2004, 05:51 AM
Buddy Romaine

In Barbados, we took public transit for $.75 up to Mullin's Beach.

You will find the bus terminal a 5 minute walk past the Pelican Club,
just outside the Customs entrance after you leave the cruise ship
welcome building. We were given directions by the tourist authority
there. The reason I looked for public transit is because I had read of
so many taxi driver scams. The bus stops say "out of town" which means
out of Bridgetown.

At the bus terminal there was a uniformed lady who helped us exchange
our US money with a guy there selling cold drinks(2 Barbados dollars
for 1 US dollar). She was also kind enough to tell the bus driver
where to let us off. It was about a 1/2 hour ride. When we were close
to Speightstown, the whole bus said goodbye with a smile and pointed
to the path to the beach..what a great Barbados welcome.

The buses seemed to pass every 20 minutes and there are stops every
few blocks. On the way back, we boarded one of the yellow buses(these
are private buses that follow the same route as the public buses). The
driver sped extremely fast, had the reggae music blaring and the
natives were a jovial and colorful bunch. This was the most amazing
cultural experience for us, the highlight of our trip albeit a bit
scary and overcrowded.

And Mullin's Beach was beautiful, the water's calm and the beach very
quiet. We heard from others who spent $50 to do the same thing we did
for 75 cents...

andrew

Carnival Tropicale 1982
NCL Dawn 2004

Old February 13th, 2004, 06:25 AM
Buddy Romaine

Addendum:

Barbados Public Buses are blue.
Barbados Private Buses are yellow.

They both charge the same .75 cents..

Old February 13th, 2004, 11:24 AM
Charles

In article , Buddy Romaine
wrote:

In Barbados, we took public transit for $.75 up to Mullin's Beach.

I have saved your post. Very good info. Thanks.

--
Charles