Jamaica Tourist Areas Suffer Little Damage!

Old September 13th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Ray Goldenberg

Default Jamaica Tourist Areas Suffer Little Damage!

Hi Everyone,

I received this information from The Jamaica Tourist Board and thought
it would be of interest. If you have missed any of my news' postings,
they are available on my web site.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

Jamaica's Tourism Industry Looks to the Future as Eye of Hurricane
Ivan Skirts the Island
Sunday September 12, 8:21 pm ET
Majority of tourist areas suffer little damage

KINGSTON, Jamaica, Sept. 12 /PRNewswire/ -- With the passing of
Hurricane Ivan, initial reports indicate that the majority of
Jamaica's tourist regions and airports suffered little serious damage,
the Jamaica Tourist Board announced it today. Efforts are now underway
to assess the overall damage and get life back to normal.
Visitors from the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom as
well as other countries took shelter in hotels throughout Jamaica.
Initial reports indicate that these visitors remain unharmed and their
safety continues to be a priority.

Both the runways and communication towers at Norman Manley
International Airport in Kingston and Sangster International Airport
in Montego Bay did not sustain any significant damage. Montego Bay
airport is now open for business and Kingston airport will be reopened
as soon as the road (s) to the airport becomes accessible.

Following is an update on the Air Jamaica flight schedule and resort
locations:

Air Jamaica:

Air Jamaica has released the following flight schedule for today,
September 12, 2004 between the carrier's hub at Sangster International
Airport in Montego Bay and its Miami, Atlanta, Los Angeles and London
gateways.

Flight # Departure City Departure Time Arrival City Arrival
Time

001 Montego Bay 11:55 PM London 3:05
PM(9/13)

004 London 2:15 PM Montego Bay 6:00 PM

026 Miami 8:30 PM Montego Bay 9:05 PM

027 Montego Bay 4:55 PM Miami 7:30 PM

059 Montego Bay 4:50 PM Atlanta 8:35 PM

074 Los Angeles 10:45 PM Montego Bay 6:30
AM(9/13)

Passengers are advised to call Air Jamaica Reservations at
1-800-523-5585 for updated information prior to departure.

Major Cities and Resort Regions:

The major cities and the resort regions of Kingston, Montego Bay, Ocho
Rios, Port Antonio and Negril, have all reported that water, power and
electricity are being restored and most major hotels have reported
limited or no structural damage. News from the South Coast is still
forthcoming.

"Jamaica can be thankful that it was spared a direct hit. Hurricane
Ivan is now headed towards the North-west and away from the island,
but the country is still feeling the effects, especially on the South
Coast, the area of the island taking the brunt of the hurricane's
force," said Prime Minister P.J. Patterson at a post-hurricane press
conference at the Hilton Kingston on Saturday evening.

In an effort to help speed the recovery of the industry, a Hurricane
Recovery Group, a cooperative organization comprised of the Jamaica
Tourist Board (JTB), the Jamaica Hotel and Tourist Association (JHTA),
the TPDCo and the National Environmental Protection Agency, has been
formed. The group is now helping to carry out a preliminary assessment
to provide a clear estimate of the overall damage to the travel and
tourism industry. This includes establishing updates on all tourism
related entities including hotels, villas, attractions, and tour and
ground operations.

"We are pleased that preliminary reports indicate that most of the
resort areas and centers of the island's central tourist business,
including the North Coast towns of Montego Bay and Ocho Rios, suffered
mainly cosmetic damage and all structures remained primarily intact,"
said Director of Tourism Paul Pennicook. "We are still waiting to
receive proper assessments from the South Coast, as there is limited
access to the area at this time."

Pennicook continued, "We would like to thank all of our emergency
groups and tourism partners for their efforts over the past several
days. While we are now focused on getting the industry back to normal,
it is important to acknowledge the work done by the industry to ensure
the safety and security of those visitors who stayed on the island
over this period."

Details and the most current updates on Jamaica's response to
Hurricane Ivan are posted on the Jamaica Tourist Board Web site at
http://www.visitjamaica.com. The JTB can be reached toll-free at
1-800-233-4JTB (1-800-233-4582).

Old September 14th, 2004, 05:55 AM
BiG Orange

Jamaica's Tourism Industry Looks to the Future as Eye of Hurricane
Majority of tourist areas suffer little damage

After visiting, there I would find it difficult to believe anything from
them that related to money.