Best beaches in the Caribbean

Old February 3rd, 2006, 02:28 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean

Default Best beaches in the Caribbean

My favorite beaches in the Caribbean a

- Trunk Bay on St. John
- Magen's Bay on St. Thomas
- The Baths on Virgin Gorda
- Cane Garden Bay on Tortola
- Dickenson Bay on Antigua
- Crane Beach on Barbados

Anybody want to add to the list?

Kent

"Pruneville.com... Where Laughter Doesn't Require Teeth"
Join us on the first annual PruneCruise:
http://www.pruneville.com/travelandevents/prunecruise

Old February 3rd, 2006, 03:17 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean

On 2 Feb 2006 17:28:24 -0800, Kent wrote:
My favorite beaches in the Caribbean a

- Trunk Bay on St. John
- Magen's Bay on St. Thomas
- The Baths on Virgin Gorda
- Cane Garden Bay on Tortola
- Dickenson Bay on Antigua
- Crane Beach on Barbados

Anybody want to add to the list?

Nope. I want to keep mine off the Over Trampled List.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 04:10 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean

Allodoxaphobia wrote:
On 2 Feb 2006 17:28:24 -0800, Kent wrote:

My favorite beaches in the Caribbean a

- Trunk Bay on St. John
- Magen's Bay on St. Thomas
- The Baths on Virgin Gorda
- Cane Garden Bay on Tortola
- Dickenson Bay on Antigua
- Crane Beach on Barbados

Anybody want to add to the list?

Nope. I want to keep mine off the Over Trampled List.

Dickenson Bay is the only one on your list I've been too, and certainly do not
consider it anything special.... Nice, but nothing special.
Grace bay, Turks & Cacios is much nicer as is an unnamed beach/bay on San Salvador
Island, Bahamas, adjacent to the airport.
Mike

Old February 3rd, 2006, 11:56 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean

Just got back from sailing in the Caribbean. We've not been there in 8 - 10
years.
Yuck! No more Island Time! Too crowded. Too expensive. Off our list as a
vacation spot again.
ups.com...

Old February 4th, 2006, 01:20 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean

"G&G" :

Just got back from sailing in the Caribbean. We've not been there in 8 -
10 years.
Yuck! No more Island Time! Too crowded. Too expensive. Off our list as
a vacation spot again.

Could you atleast mention where your cruise went that was so bad?
Considering that no single cruise cover more than 10% of the destinations
possible with some islands very rarely being visited it seem strange to write
off the entire region based on one cruise. What went wrong?

Earl Colby Pottinger

--
Cruising, building a Catamaran, Rebuilding Cabin, New Peroxide Still Design,
Writting SF, Programming FOSS - What happened to the time?
Old February 4th, 2006, 06:53 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean

Pretty much any beach in Anguilla, even during high season, is deserted and
private. Dropsey Bay, Shoal Bay West, Crocus Bay. Only the locals and a
very few visitors use these beaches.

I liked Mullet Bay in Sint Maarten. But nobody goes there anymore; it's
always so crowded.

Trunk Bay absolutely rocks.

ups.com...

Old February 6th, 2006, 03:00 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean

I've gotten tired of being hustled every time I go to a beach in the
Caribbean or Mexico. Is there any place where you don't have somebody
standing there trying to sell you something when all you want to do is
read your book or take a snooze? I would rather not have a gated beach
and I will happily spend all my money on tourist junk but sometimes I
just want peace and quiet without someone standing over me going 'lady,
lady, buy a necklace' when I am sound asleep - some of these people
are pretty agressive. (I'm not foolish enough to sleep on a beach
without someone I know watching out for me).

Carol
Editor - Lowfares.com
http://www.lowfares.com

Old February 6th, 2006, 10:43 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean

In article . com,
Maisie writes
I've gotten tired of being hustled every time I go to a beach in the
Caribbean or Mexico. Is there any place where you don't have somebody
standing there trying to sell you something when all you want to do is
read your book or take a snooze? I would rather not have a gated beach
and I will happily spend all my money on tourist junk but sometimes I
just want peace and quiet without someone standing over me going 'lady,
lady, buy a necklace' when I am sound asleep - some of these people
are pretty agressive. (I'm not foolish enough to sleep on a beach
without someone I know watching out for me).

Carol
Editor - Lowfares.com
http://www.lowfares.com

Let me guess .... Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Tulum, Domrep,
Jamaica, parts St. Lucia, Barbados and Antigua. How about BVI, Grenada,
Turks & Caicos, Anguilla, Dominica, Bonaire, St. Barts, St. Vincent &
The Grenadines, most of USVI (exc. STT), large parts of Barbados, St.
Lucia and Antigua. I guess there are many more beaches where you will
not have a problem than where you _will_ have a problem. If you go where
everyone else goes, you have to expect the effect of market forces. And
if you think it's different in other parts of the world where tourism is
one of the key earners of foreign exchange - think again.
--
Tom W.
Dorset/UK

Old February 6th, 2006, 12:27 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean

In article . com,
Maisie wrote:

I've gotten tired of being hustled every time I go to a beach in the
Caribbean or Mexico. Is there any place where you don't have somebody
standing there trying to sell you something when all you want to do is
read your book or take a snooze? I would rather not have a gated beach
and I will happily spend all my money on tourist junk but sometimes I
just want peace and quiet without someone standing over me going 'lady,
lady, buy a necklace' when I am sound asleep - some of these people
are pretty agressive. (I'm not foolish enough to sleep on a beach
without someone I know watching out for me).

You will not be hustled at the beaches on St. John, US Virgin Islands.
It is a national park. No one coming around selling anything. Also I
have never been bothered at Horseshoe Beach on Bermuda.

--
Charles
Old February 6th, 2006, 03:58 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean

Default No hassle beaches was Best beaches in the Caribbean

"Maisie" wrote:

I've gotten tired of being hustled every time I go to a beach in the
Caribbean or Mexico. Is there any place where you don't have somebody
standing there trying to sell you something when all you want to do is
read your book or take a snooze? I would rather not have a gated beach
and I will happily spend all my money on tourist junk but sometimes I
just want peace and quiet without someone standing over me going 'lady,
lady, buy a necklace' when I am sound asleep - some of these people
are pretty agressive. (I'm not foolish enough to sleep on a beach
without someone I know watching out for me).

Carol
Editor - Lowfares.com
http://www.lowfares.com

I rarely sit on the beach. If I want to read, I read at home where I
don't have all that glare and where I don't get hot and sweaty and
have sand stick to me. If I'm at the beach I want to be in the water.

We did take a boat out to Saona Island in the Dominican Republic, and
were on the beach for a good bit and while there were people giving
massages and selling coconuts, no one was very insistent, and no one
would disturb you if you were just lying there asleep. No hair
braiding that I saw. I don't know about the shore side beaches. I
seem to remember that people were selling stuff there. This is a day
trip only place though - you can't stay there. It is part of a
national park.

I think you can take it as a given that if there is no one but you on
the beach, then there will be no one hassling you. So the trick is to
find a deserted beach.

The east coast of Barbados (a lot of which has too much undertow to be
safe to swim on) has sweeping beaches with very few people on them at
least in November when we were there. That's why they are deserted -
you can't swim from there.

Norman Cay in the Bahamas has no one on the beach. Highborne Cay also
has pristine beaches. Also Bimini - rarely saw anyone else on the
beach there. Ditto Chub Cay. But all those places you have to get to
by boat or small plane - seaplane in some cases (Bimini and Highborne)
and there aren't any scheduled boats. Except for Bimini which
occasionally has a cruise ship, you'd have to have your own boat or
charter one. Of course that's not really in the Caribbean either.

I didn't see anyone on the beaches in Costa Rica - Drakes Bay or
Corcovado or Canos Island (which is of course are on the Pacific
Coast) or Parissima (which is up by Tortuguero). But Parissima has
black sand and a lot of undertow, and both it and Drakes Bay is a
place you also have to get to by a small power boat. There aren't any
roads going there. I think you can take a helicopter to Parissima

St. John in the USVI is mostly in a National Park. I didn't see
anyone selling stuff on the beaches I went to there but I didn't go to
Trunk Bay. And I really didn't see anyone in the BVI beaches but I
only drove by. I doubt that you'd have a problem in Bermuda although
that's also not in the Caribbean

I've never tried lying on the beach in Cozumel, but they took us to a
beach one time for a surface interval - don't know what beach it was,
but no one was selling stuff there. The beaches in Belize are
generally too small to have a large number of people selling stuff.
Especially the outer cayes. And you could stay at some of those.

grandma Rosalie