Civitavecchia to Ostia Antica by train or car?

Old September 16th, 2003, 03:33 PM
Brahmama

Default Civitavecchia to Ostia Antica by train or car?

I just reread this whole thread and found the excellent suggestion from Mason:

so Mason,

where did you have your excellent lunch in Civitavechhia?

Any problem walking from the ship to the town?

Brah

(MasonBarge) wrote in message ...

So, I am striking out . Maybe I'm just supposed to go back to Rome for
the day!

My posts through my very unsatisfactory news servers (two of them!) are not
posting, so I may be repeating myself.

I don't blame you for hesitating about a daytrip to Rome. (My last time in
Civitavecchia we went to town, had a nice walk, ate an excellent lunch at a
local restaurant, then got back on the ship.)

I would strongly suggest you think about Tarquinia. It is a very interesting
place and a center of Etruscan history. It's on two hills -- Etruscan ruins on
one, and the modern (read: medieval) city on the next hill over. Like
Pompeii/Naples, the museum is in the modern city. Also, it is extremely
convenient to Civita. with direct train service.

For some reason, it is a lot more popular for Italian, French, and other
European tourists than Americans. I suppose a lot of its attraction is that it
is so different from Roman/ruins and culture and distinctive from Greek,
although related. Anyway, it's a really good use of a cruise stop there.

Personally, I think Etruscan art is extremely cool and the Tarqunia museum has
IMO the best piece in existence, a fairly famous terra cotta statue of two
winged horses.

Old September 16th, 2003, 10:59 PM
Mason Barge

On 16 Sep 2003 07:33:48 -0700, (Brahmama) wrote:

I just reread this whole thread and found the excellent suggestion from Mason:

so Mason,

where did you have your excellent lunch in Civitavechhia?

I couldn't tell you. It was to the right on like the third side
street as you head into town, which I guess is east. Just some
middle-tier local Italian restaurant with typical fantastic Italian
food. As you might guess, lots of frutti di mare.

Any problem walking from the ship to the town?

Nooo, it's a very short walk.

You realize that there is train and coach service to Tarquinia, right?
It's about 20 minutes away by public coach

http://www.cotralspa.it/Orari/cot_011006_r03.pdf

[...]

"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea. If this is tea, please bring me some coffee."
-- Abraham Lincoln