Airside connection at DFW (LX/AA)

Old August 9th, 2007, 07:14 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Default Airside connection at DFW (LX/AA)

If this questions has been asked before, I cannot find it, so
apologies/thanks in advance if you can simply point me to the right
thread.
We intend to fly GVA-ZRH-DFW-YVR (Geneva-Zurich-Dallas-Vancouver) and
back (symmetrical route).
I have already checked on the DFW website about transfers and it
states that "The Skylink high-speed train, inside security, connects
all five terminals with an average ride time of less than 5 minutes",
but the website does not make it clear whether one needs to cross US
immiegration to make an international transfer.
http://www.dfwairport.com/transport/connect.html
Does "inside security" mean when we step of the LX (Swiss) flight in
DFW that we will not have to clear US immigration to travel through to
Canada with AA?
The reason that I am asking this question is that although all the PAX
have passports valid for the destination (Canada), the newer machine
readable passports are required for the United States and not all the
PAX have these. If it is necessary to pass US immigration to get to
Canada it will simply be easier to choose a route avoiding a transfer
in the US (GVA-ZRH-YUL-YVR for example).
I know that one has (or did have last time I was there) to pass US
immigration at JFK to transfer, but some airports (LHR being a notable
example) operate airside inter-terminal transfers...

Old August 9th, 2007, 08:03 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

You will have to clear immigration and customs in the US.
You will have to go back through security before boarding your
connecting flight.
Old August 9th, 2007, 01:40 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Graham Harrison[_2_]

"mrtravel" wrote in message
. ..
wrote:

[...]

I agree with that. Arrive, clear immigration, clear customs, exit to main
terminal, check in, pass through security, depart.

Old August 9th, 2007, 04:38 PM posted to rec.travel.air
TMOliver

"mrtravel" wrote ...
wrote:

[...]

The advantage to DFW as a connection point is that, unlike many airports and
terminals, DFW has a large number of security entrances and short lines.
You have two choices, re-entering security at the "D" Terminal at which
you'll arrive, the only choice if your connecting flight departs from D, or
if your flight is from another terminal, boarding the convenient "Skylink",
or exiting D to take one of AA's Terminal Link busses, service every five
minutes, to the departure terminal, passing security there on your way into
the terminal.

My choice would be in any case to re-enter security at D, based on the
likelihood that you'll be trundling substantial baggage Harder to manage on
the bus than on Skylink)...

All that's subject to a caveat....whether or not your baggage will have been
checked all the way through to YVR, unloaded fro you to take thru Customs,
and then sent on to your new flight without you having to lug it. If so,
please don't lock it, for TSA will have the right to search it at DFW. I
suspect that routinely, all international arrivals debouch into the
unsecured area of Terminal D, likely necessitated by TSA's mandate to
inspect carryons. Check this and other forums for the mandatory liquids &
gels policy for toiletries, etc., a separate (in hand - One only) one
quart/liter clear plastic bag and the 3.5 oz. max contents weight for any
container

TMO

Old August 9th, 2007, 11:48 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jeff Hacker

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

The LX flight is actually a code-share operated by American Airlines. it
will arrive at the International Terminal ("D") at DFW. YOu will have to
clear immigration and customs, and then go to your YVR flight (which should
also depart from Terminal D - but theoretically may be moved to either
Terminal A or C). You probably will not have to worry about the Sky Train.

On the reverse itinerary, you will clear U.S. immigration and customs before
leaving YVR, and then make a direct connection to the AA/LX flight back to
Zurich. If the YVR flight doesn't land at Terminal D, you MAY have to take
the train. And I think that 10-15 minutes is a safer bet than 5. But
either way, it is much better than the old "TrAAin" system American used to
operate at DFW.

Jeff

Old August 10th, 2007, 01:45 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Rick Blaine

"Graham Harrison" wrote:

I agree with that. Arrive, clear immigration, clear customs, exit to main
terminal, check in, pass through security, depart.

I haven't been through the new Intl terminal at DFW, but I always hated coming
back the old way. First you had to climb up (or take the escalators if they were
working) to the roof. Invariably, you got to walk half way around the concourse
to Immigration. Then downstairs to wait forever for bags, and then get dumped
outside the terminal and have to re-enter security lines with all the domestic
traffic. DEN is the same way now.

--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."
"Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars
Old August 10th, 2007, 07:46 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_2_]

Graham Harrison wrote:

"mrtravel" wrote in message
. ..

You will have to clear immigration and customs in the US.
You will have to go back through security before boarding your connecting
flight.

I agree with that. Arrive, clear immigration, clear customs, exit to main
terminal, check in, pass through security, depart.

Why would they have to check in again??

Usually, you exit Customs and give your bag to the people from the
airline that you are flying next. Well, assuming your bags have been
checked through.. This assumes you aren't flying Southwest after you get
to the US. My family members are flying back to the US and connecting to
WN at LAX tomorrow. However, they are carrying on luggage, and are
already checked in and have boarding passes for the Southwest flight.
Old August 10th, 2007, 07:58 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Binyamin Dissen

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 22:48:23 GMT "Jeff Hacker" wrote:

:On the reverse itinerary, you will clear U.S. immigration and customs before
:leaving YVR, and then make a direct connection to the AA/LX flight back to
:Zurich. If the YVR flight doesn't land at Terminal D, you MAY have to take
:the train. And I think that 10-15 minutes is a safer bet than 5. But
:either way, it is much better than the old "TrAAin" system American used to
:operate at DFW.

DFW has an interesting system, where there is a circle and trains go both ways
so that there is no need to make a full circuit to get to an adjacent
terminal.

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com

Old August 13th, 2007, 03:24 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Nobody

Prior to 9-11, there were a few cases where passengers were allowed
international transit. After 9-11, this was stopped, and all passengers
are required to enter the USA in order to have the privilege to then
leave the USA.

I think there are still a couple of exceptions to this (namely Air
Canada YVR-HNL-SYD flight where they relaxed the ridiculous post 9-11
rules to only checking passports).

Since you are changing airlines and then boarding what is considered a
domestic flight for AA, you will definitely have to enter the USA
formally, and anyone will need proper papers to do that (visas etc).

Similarly, on the way back, you will be required to clear USA
customs/immigration at Vancouver prior to boarding a "domestic" AA
flight to Washington. Again, you will need proper papers to allow you
entry into the USA. (as you leave the AA flight, you are in a domestic
area of DFW and could leave the airport without any formalities).

Because both legs will be to the USA, the airlines will be forced to
send all your passenger's personal data to USA authorities, and they may
decide to prevent someone from boarding due to their name or whatever
other unpredictable reason, or worse, detain them upon arrival at DFW
and then send them to some 3rd world country for "rendition" (aka: Torture).