Anyone sailed Viking River Cruises?

Old May 1st, 2004, 01:59 AM

Default Anyone sailed Viking River Cruises?

My folks are thinking of taking a Viking cruise (European river cruise on
the Danube) this summer. Can anyone shed some light, hopefully based on
personal experience, on these cruises?

Thanks in advance,
Rusty

Old May 1st, 2004, 03:36 AM
RTCReferee

Although there are barges on some French rivers, the slower barges do the
canals, if I'm not mistaken, and that is what she mentioned she'd like to do.
Old May 1st, 2004, 04:02 AM
Leasa Hachey

There's a few detailed trip reports on my site of some neat river cruises,
complete with photos.

One is a Russian river cruise on the MS Vladimir Mayakovski which is run by
Value World Tours http://www.mytripreport.com/display.php?reportid=175

Another is a riverboat trip down the Rhone in France on the Cezanne
http://www.mytripreport.com/display.php?reportid=187

There are also a couple of reports for barge cruises in Burgundy, France and
in Holland, which are quite interesting and can be found on this page:
http://www.mytripreport.com/search.p...theme=cruising

Hope this may help you.

Leasa
www.MyTripReport.com
Share your trip. Plan your trip. Dream your trip.

Old May 1st, 2004, 04:43 AM
Mark O. Polo

Hi Rusty,

I voyaged on the Viking Spirit from Amsterdam to Vienna summer before
last and can provide an unconditional recommendation as it was enjoyable
from start to finish. If you would like details then please contact me
directly.

Aloha

Old May 1st, 2004, 06:03 PM
Mark O. Polo

Hi JTC,

I have answered you by direct email. Let me know your reaction.

Aloha

Old May 1st, 2004, 07:01 PM
jtc

thanks so much...your review whetted my appetite for this
type trip
I will also take a peek at the others...you seem to have
been on many wonderful cruises

--

all incoming and outgoing mail scanned with Norton AntiVirus
protection

Old May 6th, 2004, 01:24 AM
P. Daniel

Last year we did one of the competitors: Uniworld (on the Rhine, from
Basel up to Amsterdam). The Viking ships we saw looked comparable. I
enjoyed the trip a great deal. Very very different from an ocean
cruise (of course), but the river ships have a number of points in
their favor. One issue: meals. We were generally docked overnight
(not in transit, as you usually are in an ocean itinerary), so,
although you've paid to eat on the ship each day, you're only a
stone's throw from local establishments. The Uniworld food was good
enough that we opted for ship meals about 80% of the time -- but the
situation is a bit of a dilemma!