Viking River Cruises

Old August 24th, 2005, 07:41 PM
www.ttdown.com

Default Viking River Cruises

Has anyone been on Viking River cruises to China? Any comments
helpful.

Thanks

Art
no email, just post response
Old August 26th, 2005, 06:44 AM

No, but they send me their brochures all the time. The new China one
came today and I am intrigued especially since the pricing includes
guided shore excursions. But the boats look very basic. I'm sure one
would have to approach this kind of a cruise with a totally different
mind set than when taking a leisure cruise on a ship.

I, too, would be interested in hearing if anyone here has taken a river
boat cruise before.

Cheers,
Daniel
.................................................. .....

Viking River Cruises

Group: rec.travel.cruises Date: Wed, Aug 24, 2005, 6:41pm (PDT+7) From:
(www.ttdown.com)

Old August 26th, 2005, 02:04 PM
D Ball

Hi, Art,

We researched China river cruises extensively in the spring. A great source
for current reviews and info are the River Cruises and Asia Ports of Call
forums at http://www.cruisecritic.com

Diana Ball
near Houston, TX

Old August 26th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Karen Selwyn

Art wrote:

Has anyone been on Viking River cruises to China? Any comments
helpful.

I looked at the Viking River cruises to China, and, frankly, they all
seem like an extremely long time to be on a ship that is marginal for
food and accommodations. In 2002, before the first stage of flooding
from the Three Gorges dam, we did a 5-day cruise on the Yangtze River on
the then-newest ship in Victoria cruise line.

Our cruise was part of a two plus-week trip to China that included
flights from Beijing to Xian, Xian to Wuha, and Chongqing to Shaghai. We
got from Wuhan to Chongqing via the river cruise. The hassle of
repacking and relocatingwas minimized because the tour operator offered
wonderful support with the luggage and we stayed in 5-star hotels. Since
the remainder of the trip was in top-tier accommodations, I have to
believe we stayed in the best available on the river.

The stop at the dam was amazing and the scenery within the gorges was
spectacular; however, the over-all experience -- including ship-board
creature comforts -- didn't warrant the 5-day duration.

In 2004, we spent a week on a Viking River boat in Russia, cruising from
Moscow to St. Petersburg. We did not book with Viking River cruises, but
our tour operator booked space on a Viking River cruise ship. This ship
was essentially the same level of accommodation and food quality as the
Victoria Cruise line experience in China.

Bottom line: It would not be my choice to see China via a river cruise
ship. I encourage you to look at Pacific Delights, a tour operator that
has trips at all levels of luxury.

Karen Selwyn

Old August 28th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Bobbye Haupt

Viking has new ships in China that are very nice. They are all balcony
cabins and they were definitely not marginal in food and accommodations. In
fact, on accommodations alone they match most "cruise" ships. The hotels on
land were 5-star. I did the Viking cruise/tour in April and was very
satisfied. Great guides, hotel and ship. Not all the Viking packages
have 7-nights on the ships. Some only do 3 or 4 days which I think would be
enough.

I've done two Viking cruises in Europe and the China ships were quite a step
up as far as the accomodations go.

Bobbye

Old August 28th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Karen Selwyn

Bobbye Haupt wrote:
Viking has new ships in China that are very nice. They are all balcony
cabins and they were definitely not marginal in food and accommodations. In
fact, on accommodations alone they match most "cruise" ships.

This is very good to learn. My husband and I intend to go back to China
after 2009. Our primary goal is to see more of Beijing and Shanghai,
and do the Silk Road for the first time. Our timing is based on the fact
that the flooding on the Yangtze River will be complete by 2009, and we
want to see the impact of the flooding. However, we are loathe to devote
five repeat days if that means taking away from our primary goals. It's
nice to know that, at least, the creature comforts have improved.

Not all the Viking packages have 7-nights on the ships. Some only do 3
or 4 days which I think would be enough.

We're hoping that the dam will obliterate the current on the Yangtze so
that ships can go the same distance in fewer days.

Karen Selwyn