euro/pound observations.

Old December 4th, 2003, 06:49 PM
Bob Fusillo

Default euro/pound observations.

With the euro costing close to US $1.25, and the pound up over ten cents, I
think I will head for someplace cheap. Tokyo anyone?
Today's comment by the Treasury suggests that they will allow things to get
worse. The argument is that American products will be cheaper for Europeans,
and they will buy more. But when Americans try to buy with our profits, we
are met with the new rates. I don't see how it works to our advatage,.
rjf

Old December 4th, 2003, 06:54 PM
Miguel Cruz

Bob Fusillo wrote:
With the euro costing close to US $1.25, and the pound up over ten cents, I
think I will head for someplace cheap. Tokyo anyone?
Today's comment by the Treasury suggests that they will allow things to get
worse. The argument is that American products will be cheaper for Europeans,
and they will buy more. But when Americans try to buy with our profits, we
are met with the new rates. I don't see how it works to our advatage,.

It works if you don't buy products imported from Europe.

miguel
--
See the world from your web browser: http://travel.u.nu/
Old December 4th, 2003, 09:35 PM
Peter L

"Bob Fusillo" wrote in message
With the euro costing close to US $1.25, and the pound up over ten cents,

think I will head for someplace cheap. Tokyo anyone?
Today's comment by the Treasury suggests that they will allow things to

get
worse. The argument is that American products will be cheaper for

Europeans,
and they will buy more. But when Americans try to buy with our profits, we
are met with the new rates. I don't see how it works to our advatage,.
rjf

How about just staying in the US?

Old December 4th, 2003, 09:36 PM
Charles Hawtrey

"Bob Fusillo" staggered to the nearest keyboard
and wrote:

With the euro costing close to US $1.25, and the pound up over ten cents, I
think I will head for someplace cheap. Tokyo anyone?
Today's comment by the Treasury suggests that they will allow things to get
worse. The argument is that American products will be cheaper for Europeans,
and they will buy more. But when Americans try to buy with our profits, we
are met with the new rates. I don't see how it works to our advatage,.
rjf

It works if your employer sells a lot of stuff in Europe, and you want
to keep your job. Many "American" companies sell more overseas than
in the domestic market.

--
hambu n hambu hodo
Old December 4th, 2003, 10:05 PM
+GF+

The main question is how much does it cost here at home. I don't see off
shore oil - energy costs - going down due to this strategy. I don't see the
cost of imported wood - housing costs - going down. I don't see all that
imported (dumped) steel - large item costs - going down. But the
"foreign" - off shore US companies ( mainly energy ) - are making a killing.
OOPS that's right Bushkins is owned by the energy companies and their
ancillary lackeys....

Bushkins and his crew are going to thoroughly bankrupt this country fiscally
and well as morally. The four most dangerous men in the US are the Prez,
the Vice- Prez, the AG, and the Sec of Treas.

Old December 5th, 2003, 01:19 AM
Paul O

It's working a treat for Australian travellers. In the US in 2001 - our
dollar (AUD) bought just 49c USD. This year it buys 73c USD. Not working so
well for Australian exporters tho'!!

Old December 5th, 2003, 08:12 AM
/

Miguel Cruz wrote:
Bob Fusillo wrote:

With the euro costing close to US $1.25, and the pound up over ten cents, I
think I will head for someplace cheap. Tokyo anyone?
Today's comment by the Treasury suggests that they will allow things to get
worse. The argument is that American products will be cheaper for Europeans,
and they will buy more. But when Americans try to buy with our profits, we
are met with the new rates. I don't see how it works to our advatage,.

It works if you don't buy products imported from Europe.

But there is little else you can do with the Euro's you got from you
European customers...

Krist

Old December 5th, 2003, 10:15 AM
Miguel Cruz

/ rist" wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
Bob Fusillo wrote:
With the euro costing close to US $1.25, and the pound up over ten
cents, I think I will head for someplace cheap. Tokyo anyone? Today's
comment by the Treasury suggests that they will allow things to get
worse. The argument is that American products will be cheaper for
Europeans, and they will buy more. But when Americans try to buy with
our profits, we are met with the new rates. I don't see how it works to
our advatage,.

It works if you don't buy products imported from Europe.

But there is little else you can do with the Euro's you got from you
European customers...

Sell them to someone who can afford to sit on them for a while (e.g., a
bank).

miguel
--
See the world from your web browser: http://travel.u.nu/

Old December 5th, 2003, 10:26 AM
/

Miguel Cruz wrote:
/ rist" wrote:

Miguel Cruz wrote:

Bob Fusillo wrote:

With the euro costing close to US $1.25, and the pound up over ten
cents, I think I will head for someplace cheap. Tokyo anyone? Today's
comment by the Treasury suggests that they will allow things to get
worse. The argument is that American products will be cheaper for
Europeans, and they will buy more. But when Americans try to buy with
our profits, we are met with the new rates. I don't see how it works to
our advatage,.

It works if you don't buy products imported from Europe.

But there is little else you can do with the Euro's you got from you
European customers...

Sell them to someone who can afford to sit on them for a while (e.g., a
bank).

Yep. But what banks are currently prepared to give you for Euro's (lots
aparently) indicates there is a high demand for this currency still. So
lots of people still buying stuff in Europe.
If everybody stopped buying stuff in Europe I guess what the banks would
be prepared to give you for your euros would be a lot less...

Krist

Old December 5th, 2003, 11:38 AM
Reid

Following up to Bob Fusillo

The argument is that American products will be cheaper for Europeans,
and they will buy more. But when Americans try to buy with our profits, we
are met with the new rates. I don't see how it works to our advatage,.

A low currency helps exports, deters imports. In the long run it
has to be in equilibrium. It all depends how you define
advantage.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso