Southern Thailand civil war ??

Old April 28th, 2004, 07:40 AM
Alfred Molon

Default Southern Thailand civil war ??

It appears that the police killed 45 people in southern Thailand, after
a series of coordinated raids on police outposts.
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exer...38D-48D7-82BA-
343DB48FE769.htm

Big suprise for me - I thought Thailand was peaceful country.
--

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from Myanmar, Brunei,
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Austria, Budapest and
Portugal
Old April 28th, 2004, 08:34 AM
Spehro Pefhany

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 08:40:01 +0200, the renowned Alfred Molon
wrote:

It appears that the police killed 45 people in southern Thailand, after
a series of coordinated raids on police outposts.
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exer...38D-48D7-82BA-
343DB48FE769.htm

Big suprise for me - I thought Thailand was peaceful country.

CBS says "at least 70", just in the past day. 8-(

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in614100.shtml

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Old April 28th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Viviane

According to the BBC site, it's 90 dead - this is a bit like an auction.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3665293.stm

Old April 28th, 2004, 10:43 AM
loikroh

"Thomas F. Unke" wrote in message
Alfred Molon writes:

Big suprise for me - I thought Thailand was peaceful country.

Last year, the police killed over a thousand alleged "drug dealers" in
Bangkok alone.

Thailand was never really peaceful. In the 90s, the police shot down
hundreds of peaceful demonstrators near the democracy monument.

Wasn't too safe in '76 either. I'm still returning next week - seems very
localised in the south
cheers

Old April 28th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Markku Grönroos

Alfred Molon writes:

Big suprise for me - I thought Thailand was peaceful country.

Last year, the police killed over a thousand alleged "drug dealers" in
Bangkok alone.

Thailand was never really peaceful. In the 90s, the police shot down
hundreds of peaceful demonstrators near the democracy monument.

Military rule has been a norm in the kingdom until recent years. The
southernmost provinces with a moslem majority have struggled against the
Thai sovereign as long as anyone can remember.

Old April 28th, 2004, 08:17 PM
ajali

Alfred Molon writes:

Big suprise for me - I thought Thailand was peaceful country.

Last year, the police killed over a thousand alleged "drug dealers" in
Bangkok alone.

Thailand was never really peaceful. In the 90s, the police shot down
hundreds of peaceful demonstrators near the democracy monument.

Military rule has been a norm in the kingdom until recent years. The
southernmost provinces with a moslem majority have struggled against the
Thai sovereign as long as anyone can remember.

You are right. Coming from that part of the world, I can safely say
the safest is Singapore, followed by Malaysia. Others like Thailand,
Philippine, Indonesia has always have difficulty from time to
time....Thailand, most often from the Southern area of Songkhla,
Pattani and Yala. Actually, the people in this area struggle for their
autonomy - it is a Muslim dominated area. But have been very very
quiet for quite a while since Thailand has become more democratic and
not under military rules or general rules. I think what happened was a
new kind of phenomenon...Suddenly there are insurgent of muslims
everywhere. This is truely a new phenomenon. Normally we only hear at
one area or two, probably one in the middle east...then maybe one if
africa.......years later maybe one or two again, maybe one in checnya
and one in some other places......This time around we hear everywhere.
Hopefully it never really turn a full scale war everywhere.

In Philippine you have the Moro group at the Southern Island. Also
know as MNLF. This group also fight for their autonomy probably
independent from Manila. Now we hear about the Abu Sayyaf group.

Then in Indonesia, there are several....the first was Timur Timur. I
think they already get their independent. Also in Indonedia is the
Aceh area....They also fighting for their own autonomy.

In Malaysia, every now and then if the politics is not good between
east and west Malaysia, you will hear some politicians from Sabah or
Sarawak want their own independent....But nothing really violance.
Just political thing because the military and police are under the
control of the federal government. But if you ask the locals
especially in Sabah, you will hear a mixed bags. Some say the like the
idea of independent Sabah, some will say otherwise. Those who want the
independent claimed that the West (Kuala Lumpur) steal their wealth -
from timber industry and now the oil industry and the federal
government has not invested enough for Sabah. They also claimed, the
federal government haven't provide enough security for their state
especially from immigrants and pirates in the area of Sandakan and
some tourists area like Sipadan...I think if you have travel over
there you know about it. But in general, I would say its safe. Just
ask the local if there is a new threat or security problem happen
lately. Now I think only Sipadan is on alert because of kidnapping
taking place a few years ago.

In Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam...This is more unstable area
from the above. But have been relatively safe for quite a while now.
Still a long way to go. Interesting area but always be on alert if
travel over there. Always ask the locals which area is not save to
visit at the time.

Anyway, if I am a tourist, I won't hesitate to go over there. Just be
alert like you travel everywhere, and get the latest news if some new
thing happen and where.
Old April 28th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Rene R.F. Wildeman

This is going along already quite some time. It is better to avoid
that district but the rest of Thailand is still heaven (for tourists)

Old April 28th, 2004, 08:41 PM
Dieter Aaaa

"Markku Grönroos" schreef in bericht

Alfred Molon writes:

Big suprise for me - I thought Thailand was peaceful country.

Last year, the police killed over a thousand alleged "drug dealers" in
Bangkok alone.

Thailand was never really peaceful. In the 90s, the police shot down
hundreds of peaceful demonstrators near the democracy monument.

Military rule has been a norm in the kingdom until recent years. The
southernmost provinces with a moslem majority have struggled against the
Thai sovereign as long as anyone can remember.

moslem ?
again ?

you must be kidding, muslims are peacefull people
Maybe it was by coincidence ?

Old April 29th, 2004, 01:57 AM
Tchiowa

wrote:

It appears that the police killed 45 people in southern Thailand, after
a series of coordinated raids on police outposts.
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exer...38D-48D7-82BA-
343DB48FE769.htm

Big suprise for me - I thought Thailand was peaceful country.

CBS says "at least 70", just in the past day. 8-(

Current toll says just over 100. News reports say that the muslim
rebels attacked police stations but that they police had been tipped
off and were waiting for them. Kind of a slaughter.

This is part of the muslim uprising that has been going on for years.
It heats up and cools down periodically. Thaksin says it is bandits
and criminals. But that appears to be an attempt to avoid tourism
fears. Most analysts that I have read say that it is part of Jemaah
Ismalayah's push to create an Islamic state across SE Asia.
Old April 29th, 2004, 04:32 AM
Alfred Molon

Tchiowa wrote:

Current toll says just over 100. News reports say that the muslim
rebels attacked police stations but that they police had been tipped
off and were waiting for them. Kind of a slaughter.

Yes, I heard that too. What surprises me is that the Thai police would
create such a blood bath - most of the killed ones were between 15 to 20
years old. It certainly won't promote tourism in the area. The German
foreign office just issued a travel warning for trips to southern
Thailand. Thailand, "the land of smiles" ?