Advice on Glasgow, Inverness, Aberdeen & Edinburgh

Old June 17th, 2004, 12:20 AM
Marc J. LeClere

Default Advice on Glasgow, Inverness, Aberdeen & Edinburgh

Greetings,

Looking for advice on the 'quintessential' experience in each of these
cities. We have read the books and are well-prepared in advance, but we are
just looking for personal experiences that readers of this group (or
residents) feel capture the feel of the city - museums, dining, cemeteries,
churches, ....... My own personal tastes would run to watching the local
fishing fleet unloading their catch at dockside, so experiences do not need
to fall into the realm of tourism. Many thanks in advance.

Old June 17th, 2004, 01:45 PM

Some of my favourite things to do in Edinburgh:

- climb Blackford Hill and admire the gorgeous view.
- climb Arthur's Seat and admire the lovely view.
- climb Salisbury Crags and ... you get the idea.
- if you have transport, take the high road round Holyrood Park just
before sunset; near the end of the road you'll have a stunning,
gorgeous view of the city. If you haven't, just walk up from
Pollock Halls and you'll see the same view...
- feed the ducks and swans in Holyrood Park or Blackford Pond
(wholemeal bread only please, in small quantities, ask the park
keepers: we don't want the birds getting rickets...)
- cycle out to and across the Forth Road Bridge.
- climb the Scott Monument (and admire the...)
- take the boat trip from South Queensferry to Inchcolm Abbey.
- mosey around the art galleries. For some reason Edinburgh is
packed with lavishly state-funded art galleries and the other Scottish
cities aren't. Make the most of it and admire the El Grecos,
Rembrandts, Paolozzis, etc. etc.
- shop for food in Valvona & Crolla (Italian deli). Limit yourself
to their bread if you're not rich...
- explore the beaches in East Lothian, like Gullane beach, at low tide.
--
-- Chris.
Old June 17th, 2004, 10:08 PM
Owain

Chris wrote
| Some of my favourite things to do in Edinburgh:
| - climb Blackford Hill and admire the gorgeous view.
| - climb Arthur's Seat and admire the lovely view.
| - climb Salisbury Crags and ... you get the idea.

Stroll up Calton Hill and admire the quite nice view.

| - shop for food in Valvona & Crolla (Italian deli).
| Limit yourself to their bread if you're not rich...

They have signs up that they have acquired a unit in Multrees Walk, between
Harvey Nichols and Louis Vuitton, I doubt that location will be aiming at
the feed-a-family-of-four-on-spaghetti-and-tomato-sauce-for-a-fiver market.

On the upside, there's a Lidl expected to open on Dalry Road.

Owain

Old June 22nd, 2004, 06:30 PM
Walt Bilofsky

We spent several days in Edinburgh and part of one in Glasgow. If we
had it to do again we would skip Glasgow entirely - we thought it had
very little tourist personality compared to Edinburgh.

Take the train to Stirling (from Edinburgh or Glasgow) for a day
instead. Good mix of real town and tourist attractions as you walk up
the hill to the castle - which is a work in progress with many really
fine restorations and exhibits already done.

We liked the Queen's yacht Britannia, in Leith, next to Edinburgh.
Just walking around is fine too.

Old June 22nd, 2004, 06:34 PM
David Horne

Walt Bilofsky wrote:

Take the train to Stirling (from Edinburgh or Glasgow) for a day
instead. Good mix of real town and tourist attractions as you walk up
the hill to the castle - which is a work in progress with many really
fine restorations and exhibits already done.

When were you at the Castle? I'm asking, because I haven't been there
for a while, but I thought the renovations were coming along a pace. My
parents live in a town about 9 miles to the east, and as they're on a
hill, get a good view of Stirling. Now that the banqueting hall has been
cleaned, it really shines out, even from that distance!

David

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old June 22nd, 2004, 07:17 PM
Walt Bilofsky

(David Horne) wrote:

Walt Bilofsky wrote:

Take the train to Stirling (from Edinburgh or Glasgow) for a day
instead. Good mix of real town and tourist attractions as you walk up
the hill to the castle - which is a work in progress with many really
fine restorations and exhibits already done.

When were you at the Castle? I'm asking, because I haven't been there
for a while, but I thought the renovations were coming along a pace. My
parents live in a town about 9 miles to the east, and as they're on a
hill, get a good view of Stirling. Now that the banqueting hall has been
cleaned, it really shines out, even from that distance!

David

We were there two weeks ago. Yes, there is a tremendous lot done, and
as I said, some really fine exhibits. A couple of people told us not
to go as it was only partially restored, but that was really bad
advice and I am glad we ignored it.

The Great Hall and the chapel are impressive, though not filled up
yet. There's a very fun restoration of the kitchens, with plaster
servants and food and even a looseleaf recipe book on a table
(probably not a replica of an original). Weavers can be seen
recreating the Hunt of the Unicorn tapestries (the originals are in
the Cloisters in New York, two miles from where I grew up), with one
complete and a second just begun. The visitor's center has one of the
best films introducing a historic site that I've ever seen. The
guides were full of interesting bits of information and enthusiasm.

And the salmon colored Great Hall - with the guide's explanation of
how they decided that was the authentic color - has forever changed my
mental image of castles.

One of the best sites (sights) of our trip to Scotland. And the rest
of the town is delightful too.

- Walt
Old June 22nd, 2004, 08:16 PM
Owain

"Walt Bilofsky" wrote
| [Stirling Castle] A couple of people told us not
| to go as it was only partially restored, but that
| was really bad advice and I am glad we ignored it.

It's been 'only partially restored' for at least twenty years and probably
will be for twenty more ...

Did you see Argyll's Lodging (the renaissance house at the castle entrance)?
Although smaller, I think it's much nicer than the castle.

| One of the best sites (sights) of our trip to Scotland. And
| the rest of the town is delightful too.

When one ignores the bins which (still) don't get collected by the council.

Owain

Old July 2nd, 2004, 01:35 AM
Marc J. LeClere

Default Many thanks

My thanks to all who posted - I appreciate your time and effort. We are off
to walk the Great Glen Way and explore the larger cities. Two adults and
three teenage girls. I hope we all survive each other.

Old July 2nd, 2004, 01:47 AM
jenn

Marc J. LeClere wrote:

My thanks to all who posted - I appreciate your time and effort. We are off
to walk the Great Glen Way and explore the larger cities. Two adults and
three teenage girls. I hope we all survive each other.

my all purpose travel advice for parents -- put the kids in charge of
planning some of the trip -- e.g. give each of the girls a day and an
accessible guide book and let them have at it

people who have to plan things to please others are a lot more tolerant
of the plans others make [works in the kitchen too] and they will come
up with great stuff you might not have thought of