Prague - Transportation from AIrport to Hotel

Old March 10th, 2010, 01:31 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake

Default Prague - Transportation from AIrport to Hotel

My wife and I will land in the Prague airport in November. We will
need to get from there to the Old Town Hilton Hotel. I've read some
dire warnings about taxi drivers who cheat their passengers, so I'd
appreciate any recommendations as to how we should get transportation
to our hotel.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Old March 10th, 2010, 04:58 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Clarke

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 18:31:55 -0700, Ken Blake
wrote:

My wife and I will land in the Prague airport in November. We will
need to get from there to the Old Town Hilton Hotel. I've read some
dire warnings about taxi drivers who cheat their passengers, so I'd
appreciate any recommendations as to how we should get transportation
to our hotel.

AAA Taxi. Look for the signs all over the airport.

(change Arabic number to Roman numeral to email)
Old March 10th, 2010, 10:44 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On Mar 10, 1:31*am, Ken Blake wrote:

My wife and I will land in the Prague airport in November. We will
need to get from there to the Old Town Hilton Hotel. I've read some
dire warnings about taxi drivers who cheat their passengers, so I'd
appreciate any recommendations as to how we should get transportation
to our hotel. Ken Blake

How public transport minded are you?

It is a few years (six say) since I was there but public transport was
extremely cheap, something like five or six pounds bought a ticket
which
worked on metro, bus and tram and lasted a week. Tickets were
avalable for other durations. The cost of transport for the whole four
or five
days was less that one taxi ride.

There was a booth in the arrivals hall. I asked for the weekly ticket,
crossed
to the third or so stance from the door, and got the (119 ?) bus to
Devička, the
end station on line A of the metro.

Looking at the metro map you can go five stations to Mustek, change
onto
line B then Namesti Republica is one station away.The Old Town Hilton
is
situated between the two exits of the station.

Returning it is important to stay on the bus until the last stop, as
one of
the earlier stops looks as if it could be the terminal.

HTH

Old March 10th, 2010, 01:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Andy Davidson

On 10/03/2010 01:31, Ken Blake wrote:
My wife and I will land in the Prague airport in November. We will
need to get from there to the Old Town Hilton Hotel. I've read some
dire warnings about taxi drivers who cheat their passengers, so I'd
appreciate any recommendations as to how we should get transportation
to our hotel.

I don't recall being cheated on a recent business trip to Prague, in
fact I found it a friendly city, but I tended to use the Metro to get
everywhere.

The bus #119 links the Airport to the underground network via Dejvick
station.

Otherwise, you can pay in advance for a taxi, at an official stand in
the Arrivals hall, I think the cost was ~500 CZK - about 20 Euros (I
think you can even pay in Euros, but my mind is starting to go hazy).

Andy
Old March 10th, 2010, 03:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake

wrote:

My wife and I will land in the Prague airport in November. We will
need to get from there to the Old Town Hilton Hotel. I've read some
dire warnings about taxi drivers who cheat their passengers, so I'd
appreciate any recommendations as to how we should get transportation
to our hotel.

AAA Taxi. Look for the signs all over the airport.

Thanks very much.

Ken

Old March 10th, 2010, 03:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 02:44:25 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Mar 10, 1:31*am, Ken Blake wrote:

My wife and I will land in the Prague airport in November. We will
need to get from there to the Old Town Hilton Hotel. I've read some
dire warnings about taxi drivers who cheat their passengers, so I'd
appreciate any recommendations as to how we should get transportation
to our hotel. Ken Blake

How public transport minded are you?

Thanks. I'd really rather pay a little more and have more private
transportation that's both easier (particularly with luggage) and
faster.

It is a few years (six say) since I was there but public transport was
extremely cheap, something like five or six pounds bought a ticket
which
worked on metro, bus and tram and lasted a week. Tickets were
avalable for other durations. The cost of transport for the whole four
or five
days was less that one taxi ride.

There was a booth in the arrivals hall. I asked for the weekly ticket,
crossed
to the third or so stance from the door, and got the (119 ?) bus to
Devi?ka, the

Old March 10th, 2010, 03:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 11:40:25 +0000, Jack Campin - bogus address
wrote:

My wife and I will land in the Prague airport in November. We will
need to get from there to the Old Town Hilton Hotel. I've read some
dire warnings about taxi drivers who cheat their passengers, so I'd
appreciate any recommendations as to how we should get transportation
to our hotel.

Get the bus and change to the metro at the end of the line. It's
cheap and pretty easy to negotiate.

Thanks, but I'd really prefer an easier and quicker choice, like a
taxi, even if it costs a little more.

Old March 10th, 2010, 03:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 13:05:06 +0000, Andy Davidson
wrote:

On 10/03/2010 01:31, Ken Blake wrote:
My wife and I will land in the Prague airport in November. We will
need to get from there to the Old Town Hilton Hotel. I've read some
dire warnings about taxi drivers who cheat their passengers, so I'd
appreciate any recommendations as to how we should get transportation
to our hotel.

I don't recall being cheated on a recent business trip to Prague, in
fact I found it a friendly city, but I tended to use the Metro to get
everywhere.

The bus #119 links the Airport to the underground network via Dejvick
station.

Otherwise, you can pay in advance for a taxi, at an official stand in
the Arrivals hall, I think the cost was ~500 CZK - about 20 Euros (I
think you can even pay in Euros, but my mind is starting to go hazy).

Thanks very much. That paying in advance choice sounds like a great
one!

Old March 10th, 2010, 03:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake

wrote:

My wife and I will land in the Prague airport in November. We will
need to get from there to the Old Town Hilton Hotel. I've read some
dire warnings about taxi drivers who cheat their passengers, so I'd
appreciate any recommendations as to how we should get transportation
to our hotel.

It is fairly easy to get from the airport via public transport but
sometimes it is worth paying for a taxi or car to save you lugging
bags around with you.

When I visited Prague for the first time my hotel arranged for a
driver to pick me up at the airport. I think it cost something like
CZK 600. It saved me the hassle of managing luggage and trying to
find my way around a completely unknown city (and language). The
young man driving acted as a tour guide pointing out various places
and commenting on the changes in architecture styles and how the
citizens of Prague reacted to them. Even though it was
comparatively expensive, I immediately booked him for the return
journey a week later and relaxed to enjoy my vacation, knowing it was
all sorted. Money well spent IMO.

Your hotel will be able to advise you on your options if you contact
them.

Thanks very much. That sounds like good advice.

Old March 10th, 2010, 04:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Steve Cain

We used this online booking service on our trip. They meet and greet you
and even at your request escort you to the airport ATM which is in a
counterintuitive position on the level above arrivals. Got an expat driver
from San Diego. Very interesting. s

http://www.prague-airport-shuttle.com/