Road maps for Africa online?

Old August 16th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Benjamin Myklebust

Default Road maps for Africa online?

Specifically North Africa.

Benjamin

Old August 20th, 2004, 01:24 AM
Chris

"Benjamin Myklebust" wrote in message ...
Specifically North Africa.

Benjamin

Expedia maps has good detail but no road names. I also like the
University of Texas map library. Sorry I don't have a URL.

Chris

Old August 20th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Benjamin Myklebust

Expedia maps has good detail but no road names. I also like the
University of Texas map library. Sorry I don't have a URL.

Chris

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/africa.html

vincio

Thanks. I've been using Expedia, but I suspect they are not 100% up to date.
At least it is very difficult to see the quality of the road. I've been
looking for/at some roads I know, and it doesn't seem too accurate. I'll
check out UofT. Thanks again.

Benjamin

Old August 22nd, 2004, 02:43 PM
Slowcoach

The expedia maps and other similar online maps should carry a huge
health warning.

One of the sources they have used are pilotage charts which are
intending for identifying where you are from the air not navigating on
the ground. Some of these maps are 40 or more years out of date when
it comes to showing roads.

In some cases this might not matter much but in other areas they are
grossly misleading at best and downright dangerous at worst.

Best Wishes

Alex Harvey
Old August 25th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Chris

I came across another map site on a different computer. Maporama at
http://www.maporama.com/share/default.asp . I tried it for Uganda (my
next destination) and it shows lots of detail, but no road names.
Chris