What to take???

Old August 29th, 2004, 10:41 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 10:33:51 GMT,
(Eupe-mbwa (Wh1t3d0g)) wrote:

take twice as much money and half
as many clothes as you think you'll need

Hehe, you are so right!

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old August 29th, 2004, 10:41 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

Default What to take???

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 09:24:25 GMT, "George Thomson"
wrote:

I think I remember about a year ago someone posting a list of the things to
take on safari, also the what you can and cant get things, Like

Batteries
Film
Plugs 240v? what sort of adaptors
Clothes... do you need something warm at night?
I think I also remember some one saying dark colours are best???

George,

please have a look at the preparations chapter in
http://www.michna.com/kenya.htm.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old August 30th, 2004, 08:17 AM
George Thomson

"George Thomson" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi

I think I remember about a year ago someone posting a list of the things

take on safari, also the what you can and cant get things, Like

Batteries
Film
Plugs 240v? what sort of adaptors
Clothes... do you need something warm at night?
I think I also remember some one saying dark colours are best???

Thanks

That is just the kind of info I was looking for.

Pith hat and elephant gun will have to go back into the cupboard!!!

Old August 31st, 2004, 06:17 AM

Hi Dave,

Nice list, but I do question the advisability of telling clients to
take small gifts for local kids (who often beg for these). (Its a
different matter if the gifts are for camp staff...though I think they
would prefer cash!) This story about "gifts for kids" seems to make
the rounds of US tourists going on safari. The truth is, that (1)
practices like this train kids to become beggars (2)tourists have NO
way of distributing this stuff to the kids that really could use them--
the same kids on the same popular routes tend to get them time after
time (3) it can encourage kids who might otherwise be in school to be
truants...because they can make good money collecting these trinkets
and reselling them. I think it would be better to tell clients to give
appropriate gifts or donations to local charitable organizations or
schools. The best thing I have found: BOOKS. Many schools don't even
have a dictionary or atlas, and they are thrilled to get a paperback.
And camp staffers get really excited by current paperbacks and current
magazines. I bet the local camps could come up with a few alternatives
(they certainly have in places where I have travelled.)

A few more items that I found really useful:
1) beige or brown bandanna (good over nose for dusty rides, smelly
carcasses etc, also a cool headband when wet, keeps sun off back of
neck, etc)
2)if hiking, a small role of breathable first aid tape (more useful
than band-aids or moleskin for blisters, also good for patching
mosquito net holes, etc.)
3)keyring sized LED microlight-- wear on a cord around neck or wrist,
or on zipper pull of jacket-- invaluable for camera adjustments during
night drives, and for finding the real flashlight in the middle of the
night
4)sunscreen (might have missed this on your list)
5) For photographers-- a static-charged dust brush (works much better
than air bulbs and lenspapers in dusty places.)
Dave Patterson wrote:
Here's the Checklist we provide our clients
for east Africa:

Passport - Tickets - Cash and Traveler's Checks
Sleeping Pills - Ambien is a prescription medication we use
Over the counter products are also effective and drugstore

brands
are as good as brand names, in our experience
Lariam or Malarone (the prescription malaria preventive
medications)
Electricity Converter and Adapter - The 3-prong adapter is

used
in Kenya
Pepto-Bismol tablets - 2 each day will help prevent diarrhea
Imodium A-D - the best anti-diarrheal medication; Bring It!
A laxative - yes! Sometimes your system needs a little help!
Bufferin - Tylenol - Sudafed - Contac, or other cold
medication
Camera - lots of Film - CHECK YOUR BATTERIES
Small Flashlight - CHECK YOUR BATTERIES
A travel alarm clock - CHECK YOUR BATTERIES
A sleep mask for the plane - British Airways supplies a small
onboard kit that
you will find at your seat when you board. It includes a sleep mask,

toothbrush and toothpaste, and a pair of socks to wear on the plane.
Detergent for washing clothing - (Laundry service is available

at
the Camps)
Travel Kleenex - Wash'N'Dri packets
Insect repellent - we suggest products with DEET
Sunglasses - Hat or Cap
A map of Kenya if you choose

IMPORTANT!!!! - XEROX the first 2 pages of your passport

with
your photo & the details of the date of issue, passport number, etc.
Take this along, but in a separate place and not in your checked
baggage.

ITEMS YOU MIGHT LIKE TO HAVE WITH YOU

NOTE! DECAFFEINATED COFFEE IS NOT AVAILABLE IN ALL CAMPS!
But, hot water is always available... so if you bring your own

De-Caf,
you can have it whenever you choose.

BINOCULARS - If you bring a pair, 10X50 might be best. These are
available at discount stores for $30 to $50. But, they are heavy, of
course. 10X25 are also useful, but have a smaller field of view.

If you would like to bring small gifts, T-shirts & caps (with logos)
and/or ball point pens are always welcome. Also welcome are school
supplies such as notebook paper, notepads, coloring pencils, etc. for
the children. Note, however, opportunities to hand these out will be
limited.

Old September 1st, 2004, 02:01 AM
Chris

"George Thomson" wrote in message .uk...
Hi

I think I remember about a year ago someone posting a list of the things to
take on safari, also the what you can and cant get things, Like

Batteries
Film
Plugs 240v? what sort of adaptors
Clothes... do you need something warm at night?
I think I also remember some one saying dark colours are best???

My wife and I are now planning our 5th trip to Africa. We have
developed the list below based on prior experiences. The clothing is
based on laundry being done daily in bush camps. You might chance it
with fewer shirts, etc but you may run short if rain keeps laundry
from drying. Southern areas include laundry but in East Africa you
may have to pay by the piece. Also, if you plan to take bush planes
you will be restricted to 10 to 12 kg (22-26 lbs) total baggage weight
and it must be in soft bags (we have seen people be left behind
because they didn't follow these rules). Hope this helps, Chris

CLOTHES
BELT
HANDKERCHIEF(3)
HAT WITH WIDE BRIM
JEANS
RAIN PARKA
SANDALS
SHIRTS, LONG SLEEVE
SHIRTS, SHORT SLEEVE(4)
SHIRTS, T -COLORED(2)
SHOES, HIKING
SHORTS(2)
SOCKS, WHITE LINERS(4)
SOCKS, HIKING(2)
SWEATER/SWEAT SHIRT
SWIM CLOTHES
UNDERSHORTS(5)

TOILETRIES, ADMINISTRATIVE
BAG, FOLDING
CLOCK
COMB
CREDIT CARD PINS
DENTAL FLOSS
FEM CARE PRODUCTS
INSECT REPELLENT
NOTEPAD
RAZOR
SHAMPOO
SHAVING CREAM
SOAP
STEPTIC PENCIL
SUNSCREEN, SPF20
SUNGLASSES/CASE
TOILET PAPER
WET WIPES

ON AIRPLANE
ADDRESSES, AFRICA
BOOKS
CASH
EAR PLUGS
EYE SHADES
GLASSES
ITINERARY, RESERVATIONS
MED RECORD BOOK
NECK SUPPORT
PASSPORT
& PHOTOCOPY OF 1ST PAGE
PHONE NUMBERS, AFRICA
PHONE NUMBERS, HOME
PHOTO EQUIPMENT, FILM
PRESCRIPTION MEDICATIONS
COPY OF PRESCRIPTIONS
SLEEPING PILLS
TICKETS
TOOTHBRUSH
TOOTHPASTE
TRAVELLER CHECKS & COPIES
WALLET CONTENTS LIST
WATER BOTTLE

MEDICAL
ANTIBIOTIC OINTMENT
ANTIBIOTICS, CIPRO
ANTIFUNGAL OINTMENT
BANDAIDS
BENADRYL
HYDROCORTISONE
IBUPROPHEN OR ASPIRIN
IMODIUM
INSECT REPELLENT
TUMS
SLEEPING PILLS
SUDAFED
SUNSCREEN, SPF20
VITAMINS, ETC
Old September 1st, 2004, 02:11 AM
Chris

Dave Patterson wrote:
[...]

This is my second contribution to this thread as I posted the first
response before reading the complete thread. I agree STRONGLY that
giving gifts to children is totally unacceptable. However, I have
found that cheap ball point pens can be used for barter instead of
paying cash with some adults. Chris