Dress code for Florence opera?

Old April 23rd, 2005, 04:46 PM

Default Dress code for Florence opera?

When I attend the opera here in the states, I don't wear a coat and tie.
I plan on attending Tosca in Florence (Unfortunately, Don Giovanni
seems sold out - let's face it, Puccini's good, but he's not Mozart).
An "expected" dress code is one thing - I can simply ignore it.
However, is a coat and tie required for attendance? If it makes a
difference, the performance is at the Teatro Communale. Thanks.
Old April 23rd, 2005, 07:18 PM
Luca Logi

When I attend the opera here in the states, I don't wear a coat and tie.
I plan on attending Tosca in Florence (Unfortunately, Don Giovanni
seems sold out - let's face it, Puccini's good, but he's not Mozart).
An "expected" dress code is one thing - I can simply ignore it.
However, is a coat and tie required for attendance? If it makes a
difference, the performance is at the Teatro Communale. Thanks.

Don Giovanni was sold out on subscriptions alone, as it will be staged
in the small La Pergola theatre. La Pergola holds 800, Teatro Comunale
holds 2000. This explains the difference - no matter what is the
relative worth of Puccini and Mozart.

There is no official dress code. Nobody will turn you down if you arrive
without a jacket and tie. However, a minimal dressing up, especially if
you are in platea or prima galleria, could be appropriate. And, as Zubin
Mehta says, a jacket and a tie are not so heavy that they cannot be
included in anybody's luggage. Also a smart casual may be good, a tuxedo
or smoking could be overdressing.

--
Luca Logi - Firenze - Italy e-mail:
Home page:

Old April 24th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Mxsmanic

PTRAVEL writes:

Notwithstanding, though it's true that suits, jackets
and ties are not required, neither is it appropriate to show up in a
tee-shirt and jeans (or, god forbid, sandals and shorts). The former will
never attract unwanted attention at the opera; the latter always will.

I've attended the opera in shorts and hiking boots without incident.
Some people are interested in the show, rather than the audience.

Old April 24th, 2005, 10:21 AM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn

Mxsmanic wrote:

[]
I've attended the opera in shorts and hiking boots without incident.

You can never take any chances while treading the treacherous floors of
the opera house!

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old April 24th, 2005, 11:11 AM
george

Mxsmanic wrote:
I've attended the opera in shorts and hiking boots without incident.
Some people are interested in the show, rather than the audience.

I think I saw you in late May, 2001 at the Bastille opera house in
Paris during a performance of Gounod's Faust. You were sitting too far
away for me to cause an incident.

George