Bringing a lap top on a plane

Old May 17th, 2008, 11:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge11

Default Bringing a lap top on a plane

Here we are, martin the cretin with his new pals

"Martin" a écrit dans le message de
On Sat, 17 May 2008 12:52:00 +0100, "William Black"
wrote:

Try turning up at Heathrow with two carry-ons heading anywhere but the USA
or South America and you'll get one slung in the hold as well.

Try turning up at Melbourne with a Belgian Passport with a triple
barreled
surname plus married name and five Christian names that have all been
mistyped
in their copy of the visa. The visa was already corrected at check in
before
departure and there it was all wrong again in Melbourne. This after the
online
visa application has to be entered twice with every character identical to
the
first time. No cut and pastes allowed. That took the girl in the travel
agency
almost half an hour to get right
--

Martin

Old May 17th, 2008, 11:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge11

OT crap of course

"grusl" a écrit dans le message de

"Alan S" wrote in message
On Sat, 17 May 2008 13:43:53 +0530, "grusl"
wrote:

In all fairness, Alan, the Central Industrial Security Force, which runs
airport security in India, is one of the most decent and hardworking of
the
disciplined forces in the country.

CISF officers just enforce what rules they're told to enforce. Their
working
language is English and they can be very helpful people at unfamiliar
airports, much more so than gate agents.

I doubt there was a bribe involved. I've had "discussions" about a second
laptop bag myself and eventually been let through. (Eventually I bought a
padded cover and just pop the laptop into my carryon bag).

George, I'll eventually be writing a separate blog entry on
Indira Ghandi Airport. It was a fascinating and frustrating
experience, both arriving and departing.

I do hope you'll spell it Gandhi.

Here is just a brief description of my departure experience.

Arrived at 3:30 am for the 6:20 Royal Jordanian to Amman. At
that time I expected things to be quiet. Wrong. A large
crowd was milling about on the sidewalk outside the doors.
They were outside because I found that I needed my passport
and boarding pass just to enter the building. The sergeant
on the door had apparently not heard of e-tickets. So I
rummaged through my luggage until I found the email with my
Qantas itinerary on it. He begrudgingly let me in.

If it was 2004 I would agree. But every CISF officer has seen e-tickets
now. They're commonly used domestically.

As I entered the door a guy appeared from nowhere and
grabbed the larger of my two bags, literally out of my
hands, and immediately threw it on a security x-ray scan
machine where it disappeared into the bowels of the scanner.
As it appeared at the other end a security man sealed a
plastic strip around it to indicate that it had been scanned
for checked baggage. I wasn't impressed because I had
intended taking both as carry-on; that had been OK on the
previous five flights. The security guy would not give the
bag to me but only to my helper who had put it in the
machine. He wouldn't give it back until some rupees appeared
in my hand.

I'd say it was a porter who wanted to be paid for "carrying" your bags. It
does happen ... you have to hold on to everything. Delhi's much worse than
the south.

I eventually found the Royal Jordanian desk, but only after
another unsolicited helper showed me where it was; for a
tip. There was a remarkable absence of signs, and the only
working TV displays in that area did not show Airline
counter locations. Maybe they do on other days...

Uh, not necessarily. Mostly it's TV with brief moments of departure
boards. You can see the mouse moving each digit by hand.

[snip bag tag story]

The only purpose of the tag is to provide a blank space for a stamp. It
provides no other purpose, so it doesn't matter what tag is used.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old May 17th, 2008, 11:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

"Runge11" wrote in message
Yes mr black you are very constructive using this place as your drawing
room
This is the worst of the rec travel groups.
Maybe one day someone around you will clap your mouth shut so you cannot
abuse people like a superior being you think you are.
Playing in the same league as martin and co, ugh.

Why is it that the real Usenet nutters can always be spotted by their rather
odd capitalisation.

One day someone will stab you, and everyone will laugh.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old May 18th, 2008, 08:56 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge11

LOL how funnee
Ok back under the bed with martin
I'll call you sometime.

Old May 18th, 2008, 08:56 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge11

Default black has found a new buddy

"Martin" a écrit dans le message de
On Sat, 17 May 2008 23:20:49 +0100, "William Black"
wrote:

"Runge11" wrote in message
Yes mr black you are very constructive using this place as your drawing
room
This is the worst of the rec travel groups.
Maybe one day someone around you will clap your mouth shut so you cannot
abuse people like a superior being you think you are.
Playing in the same league as martin and co, ugh.

Why is it that the real Usenet nutters can always be spotted by their
rather
odd capitalisation.

One day someone will stab you, and everyone will laugh.

Pig sticking is back in fashion.
--

Martin

Old May 21st, 2008, 09:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Michael wrote:

Jim Ley wrote:
On Fri, 16 May 2008 16:54:13 +0100, (David Horne,
_the_ chancellor (*)) wrote:

wrote:

I'll be doing this for the first time in a few weeks. Will there be
any problems regarding airport security? What's normal procedure for
ths?
I don't have a clue where you are, but around _here_ it's not a problem.
However, you have to take the laptop out of its case/bag and put it in a
separate container at security.

At Heathrow now, mercifully you don't any more - although in the 2
times through terminal 5 I've watched people completely fail to get to
grips with the new machines/layout, works pretty well but for the
idiots though.

Jim.

In Bergamo, I had to turn the thing on, waiting for the Windows logo to
appear. The girl that asked to see it wasn't around by the time it came
on due to the crowds.

I don't remember the last time I had to turn it on, but I keep it on
sleep anyway, so it's just a couple of second before it's 'on.'

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate -www.davidhorne.net
(email address on website) "If people think God is interesting, the