BEST TUBE ROUTE FROM HEATHROW TO PADDINGTON

Old April 17th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Randall Rosenbaum

Default BEST TUBE ROUTE FROM HEATHROW TO PADDINGTON

Hey, all. I'm looking for some good, up-to-date information on the best
TUBE route (not Heathrow Express) from Heathrow Terminal 3 to Paddington
Station. This is my first venture via Tube into Central London. What I'd
like to know is: how far do I have to go from Terminal 3 to get to the Tube
station, and what is the best route (transfer station or stations) to take
going from Heathrow to Paddington?

Look forward to your response. Thanks for your help.

Randy

Old April 17th, 2005, 03:49 PM

The tube station is an easy walk from T3. Just follow the Underground
signs and ignore the Heathrow Express ones.

Two routes to Paddington:

change at Hammersmith for the Metropolitan line (Hammersmith & City) -
if you are getting a mainline train out of Paddington this would best.
You've got at least one footbridge to cross at Hammersmith and another
at Paddington.

change at Earls Court onto District line towards Edgware Road - best if
you need a street address near Paddington. There's a lift or escalator
platform change at Earls Court. If you want a cross platform change,
you'll need to change twice - at Hammersmith onto a District line train
and again at Earls Court, but on the level this time. I don't think
there are any through District trains from Hammersmith to Paddington,
but it's just possible there might be.

Old April 17th, 2005, 07:05 PM
tim \(moved to sweden\)

wrote in message
oups.com...
The tube station is an easy walk from T3. Just follow the Underground
signs and ignore the Heathrow Express ones.

Two routes to Paddington:

change at Hammersmith for the Metropolitan line (Hammersmith & City) -

This requires that you leave the station and cross the main street
into the other station (unless they have built the planned subway, it's
ages since I actually did this). Either way it is not a short walk.

if you are getting a mainline train out of Paddington this would best.
You've got at least one footbridge to cross at Hammersmith and another
at Paddington.

The platfoms for the Met are at the the far end of the station.
Ther are not at all convenient for the main-line trains, only the local
trains.

change at Earls Court onto District line towards Edgware Road - best if
you need a street address near Paddington.

The District line at Paddington is quite convenient for the station.

There's a lift or escalator
platform change at Earls Court. If you want a cross platform change,
you'll need to change twice - at Hammersmith onto a District line train
and again at Earls Court, but on the level this time. I don't think
there are any through District trains from Hammersmith to Paddington,
but it's just possible there might be.

Very ocasionally they run a 'positioning' train that uses this route.
You can't count on getting one on demand.

tim

Old April 17th, 2005, 09:49 PM
Patrick Wallace

There's only one tube line serving Heathrow, the Piccadilly. There are
stations for Terminal 4 and Terminals 1-3, but while engineering work
goes on there are bus services to replace trains. To get to Paddington
from there, you'll have to change. The choices are Gloucester Road or
South Kensington to take the Circle Line back to Paddington (which
could feel slow and means you have to check the trains carefully,
since the same platform also serves the District Line); or better
might be to change to the Bakerloo at Piccadilly Circus - probably
less kerfuffle with steps and escalators and probably quicker.

PJW

Old April 18th, 2005, 06:35 AM
Markku Ilmanen

Randall Rosenbaum wrote:
Hey, all. I'm looking for some good, up-to-date information on the best
TUBE route (not Heathrow Express) from Heathrow Terminal 3 to Paddington
Station. This is my first venture via Tube into Central London. What I'd
like to know is: how far do I have to go from Terminal 3 to get to the Tube
station, and what is the best route (transfer station or stations) to take
going from Heathrow to Paddington?

Look forward to your response. Thanks for your help.

Randy

I asked this same question two weeks ago and got a lot of helpful
answers; see under thread " London Earls Court station".
I'm going to try the option of changing to District twice, first on
Hammersmith (towards Upminster)and again on Earls Court (towards Edgware
Road). Seems to be the least walking and dragging baggage.

Markku

Old April 18th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Bonzo

On 17 Apr 2005 07:49:44 -0700, wrote:

change at Hammersmith for the Metropolitan line (Hammersmith & City) -

It's been a long time since the H&C was considered part of the Met!
Old April 18th, 2005, 10:15 AM
rory

I would recommend changing from the Piccadilly line to the Circle line
at Gloucester Road. There is a lift from the Piccadilly line which
would be handy with luggage, and a short flight of stairs.

Old April 18th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Deep Foiled Malls

On 18 Apr 2005 02:15:48 -0700, "rory" wrote:

I would recommend changing from the Piccadilly line to the Circle line
at Gloucester Road. There is a lift from the Piccadilly line which
would be handy with luggage, and a short flight of stairs.

Except that the Circle line is the least reliable and regular in
London! In fact, two weeks ago, it wasn't running at all for most of
the time.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old April 18th, 2005, 12:52 PM

tim (moved to sweden) wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
The tube station is an easy walk from T3. Just follow the

Underground
signs and ignore the Heathrow Express ones.

Two routes to Paddington:

change at Hammersmith for the Metropolitan line (Hammersmith &

City) -

This requires that you leave the station and cross the main street
into the other station (unless they have built the planned subway,

it's
ages since I actually did this). Either way it is not a short walk.

I'd forgotten this - not a good route with liggage then.

if you are getting a mainline train out of Paddington this would

best.
You've got at least one footbridge to cross at Hammersmith and

another
at Paddington.

The platfoms for the Met are at the the far end of the station.
Ther are not at all convenient for the main-line trains, only the

local
trains.

I'd disagree here - provided you already have a ticket or can get one
from the machines on the bridge. The footbridge from the Met line
platforms crosses the whole station to platform 1 with access to all
platforms (Heathrow Express excepted, I think). You get to the front,
less crowded part of the train before the hordes from the front of the
station have had chance to get there.

snip