Internet access in Napoli, Italy

Old July 10th, 2005, 11:18 PM
colin.

Default Internet access in Napoli, Italy

Does anyone have any information on the prevalence of free WLAN in Napoli?
I will be there later this year and will require internet access for the
duration of my stay.

Failing that, does anyone have information on obtaining a free dialup
account for a couple of weeks there?

I would be most grateful for anything you could tell me.

Regards

Colin

Old July 11th, 2005, 12:34 AM
Italian Job

"colin." ha scritto nel messaggio
. uk...
Does anyone have any information on the prevalence of free WLAN in Napoli?
I will be there later this year and will require internet access for the
duration of my stay.

Failing that, does anyone have information on obtaining a free dialup
account for a couple of weeks there?

I would be most grateful for anything you could tell me.

Regards

Colin

In Naples there were 77 public w-lan spots in 2003, after 6 months they
become 47, maybe now their number raised again, but in general italians (me
too) still doesn't have too much interest in such kind of service. I live in
Rome, i know wlan places here, we've got 106, but i made a quick serach for
you, even if being a touristic city, in naples hot-spots may come and go
according to the request...

For sure there is one in Alitalia lounge in the airport, one in the central
station, Capri island too is totally covered by w-lan, the biggest hotels
have that for sure, conference centers, in some parts of the university
"Federico II", there's one even in a mc donald, but the article didn't say
where it is,

tin.it offers its service at these prices
http://tin.virgilio.it/mobile/caratteristiche_ENG.aspx
and the search engine to find them is here
http://tin.virgilio.it/mobile/trovaHotspot.aspx

Home connection can be ADSL, from 2mb/sec, up to 6 mb/sec i think. you can
look for TIN.IT (ALICE), LIBERO, TISCALI.
Look for their websites to find all infos to connect when in italy even just
with standard dial-up modem.
A faster connection can be FASTWEB provider, 10 mb/sec if you're so lucky
that your home is reached by optical fiber cable.... or ADSL for common
mortals that live in areas that aren't reached by this service.

Sorry if these are not the infos you were looking for, but maybe it
helped....
BYE!!

Old July 11th, 2005, 03:41 AM
Donald Newcomb

"colin." wrote in message
. uk...
Does anyone have any information on the prevalence of free WLAN in Napoli?
I will be there later this year and will require internet access for the
duration of my stay.

You might want to check the broadband section of www.iPass.com . When I was
in Italy last summer I used the unlimited GPRS Internet option of my Wind
GSM account, but they discontinued offering that about September.

--
Donald Newcomb
DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

Old July 11th, 2005, 05:24 PM
B Vaughan

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 22:18:12 GMT, "colin."
wrote:

Does anyone have any information on the prevalence of free WLAN in Napoli?
I will be there later this year and will require internet access for the
duration of my stay.

Failing that, does anyone have information on obtaining a free dialup
account for a couple of weeks there?

I would be most grateful for anything you could tell me.

I don't know any specifics of WLAN in Naples, but it seems that
someone else has answered that part of your question.

There are any number of free dialup services, but there are no free
ADSL services, although another poster implied that there were. I use
the libero free dialup service. There is no sort of reasonable fast
connection available where I live, not even ADSL.
--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old July 11th, 2005, 06:06 PM
colin.

| There are any number of free dialup services, but there are no free
| ADSL services, although another poster implied that there were. I use
| the libero free dialup service. There is no sort of reasonable fast
| connection available where I live, not even ADSL.

I think ADSL is out of the question for me; I'll be staying in an old hotel
where they only have phone lines (I asked about this) so I'd be needing a
free access dialup. I'll take my WLAN scanner with me though. One never
knows when something might pop up.

Old July 11th, 2005, 11:54 PM
Alec

"colin." wrote in message
. uk...
| There are any number of free dialup services, but there are no free
| ADSL services, although another poster implied that there were. I use
| the libero free dialup service. There is no sort of reasonable fast
| connection available where I live, not even ADSL.

I think ADSL is out of the question for me; I'll be staying in an old
hotel
where they only have phone lines (I asked about this) so I'd be needing a
free access dialup. I'll take my WLAN scanner with me though. One never
knows when something might pop up.

Remember there is no such thing as free local calls as in the US. You have
to pay the hotel for every call you make, including access to dial-up
service, billed by duration. Best to check with them about the likely
charges. Free dial-up service finance themselves by a cut on call charges
plus adverts.

Alec

Old July 12th, 2005, 02:55 PM
B Vaughan

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 23:54:31 +0100, "Alec"
wrote:

Remember there is no such thing as free local calls as in the US. You have
to pay the hotel for every call you make, including access to dial-up
service, billed by duration. Best to check with them about the likely
charges. Free dial-up service finance themselves by a cut on call charges
plus adverts.

And if you use the special nationwide dial-up numbers provided to you
by the internet service providers, it will cost you more per minute
than a regular local call. This is how Italian ISPs manage to provide
free service.

That said, I use libero dial-up service. You can see their offers at
www.libero.it. However, I don't think they have English-language
pages.