Lufthansa "by Condor" service quality

Old September 20th, 2003, 03:53 PM
GW

Default Lufthansa "by Condor" service quality

I see that Lufthansa's PHL-FRA service is now listed as "operated by"
its Condor charter/holiday subsidiary. Does anyone know if I am
likely to see any difference in on-board service quality or seat
comfort (in economy) because of this change? Are the crews LH or
Condor? Thanks very much.

G.W.
Old September 20th, 2003, 09:13 PM
GeneJYao

cnj3067 wrote:

I see that Lufthansa's PHL-FRA service is now listed as "operated by"its
Condor charter/holiday subsidiary. Does anyone know if I am likely to see any
difference in on-board service quality or seat comfort (in economy) because of
this change? Are the crews LH or Condor? Thanks very much.

Don't know about the crews. I just recently flew Condor-operated LH 427/426
PHL-FRA and back. The service is about the same. One big difference from the
last time I flew LH 426/427 (when it was operated by LH) was that the Condor
planes have PTV's. The A340 LH used to operate on that route did not (don't
know whether they A330 they later repalced the A340 with had PTVs or not). The
other big difference is that the service is now on a B767. I don't know the
exact dimentions of the seats but I felt more cramped this time around than
last (by the way, they no longer have a first class section). One thing
noticeable is that the seats have a whimsical pattern on them now (as opposed
to LH's business-like scheme). They display drawings of the sun, a crescent
moon, and stars and have "sun", "moon", and "stars" written in script. I guess
this is a left over from their Condor holiday service (though I've heard that
these planes are actually elased from Lauda - were they leased to Condor?).
Condor, by the way, has whimsical liveries (the Condor plane used on LH
426/427, however, was painted in LH's "Star Alliance" white livery).

Old September 23rd, 2003, 09:55 PM
Gene J. Yao

I stand corrected, it is BOS-MUC that's being suspended for the winter, not BOS-FRA.
Old September 24th, 2003, 09:49 PM
Martin Stahl

"Gene J. Yao" schrieb im Newsbeitrag I've heard various reasons for the Condor take-over from LH
lacking enough long-haul equipment to LH wanting to try out a 2-class
format (which the Condor planes are designed for) to both. I wonder
if this will be permanent or whether LH will take back the routes when
they get new equipment. In any event, the PTVs present on the Condor
planes are a huge improvement since it is my understanding that LH
openly resists installing PTVs on their own planes and the only LH
planes with PTVs are the A330s they acquired from another airline
(Swiss?).

The first A330s of Lufthansa were acquired from Sabena. Are you sure
that the LH A330s are equipped with PTV?

Martin

Old September 25th, 2003, 12:29 AM
GeneJYao

mmfreitas wrote:

God I hope not. Not only do they seem to have really high loads on
those flights, but from Boston, LH is the best option to anywhere in
Europe except the British Isles.

I was wrong. It's not BOS-FRA that's being axed for the winter, it's
FRA-MUC.

Old September 25th, 2003, 12:30 AM
GeneJYao

I meant BOS-MUC.