British vs English

Old March 14th, 2004, 01:49 AM
John Smith

Default British vs English

On some inane television show I watched for a moment recently, a
character was asked if he was British. He said, "I'm not British. I'm
English." Is there a difference?

JS

Old March 14th, 2004, 05:04 AM
John Smith

What's up your butt. I asked a simple question. If you don't know the
answer, ...
JS

Douglas W. Hoyt wrote:
On some inane television show I watched for a moment recently, a

character was asked if he was British. He said, "I'm not British. I'm
English." Is there a difference?

(Sigh)

Slim pickings in the troll neighborhood lately.

Old March 14th, 2004, 05:05 AM
John Smith

Well, I still don't get it.

Thanks for trying.

JS

Old March 14th, 2004, 06:00 AM
DCHeretic

On some inane television show I watched for a moment recently, a
character was asked if he was British. He said, "I'm not British. I'm
English." Is there a difference?

JS

Great Britain encompasses England, Scotland, and Wales. Within Great Britain,
people have intense region identities and in some cases secessionist
tendencies. Without having seen the program you reference, I cannot place the
man's comment in the appropriate context. It appears, however, that he was
asserting his regional identity (England) over the British identity.

For those who are interested, an excellent book on this subject is Linda
Colley's Britons.
Old March 14th, 2004, 06:34 AM
Hatunen

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 01:49:03 GMT, John Smith
wrote:

On some inane television show I watched for a moment recently, a
character was asked if he was British. He said, "I'm not British. I'm
English." Is there a difference?

Do you own a dictioanry?

If you do I suggest looking up "England and "Britain"

If not, try http://www.dictionary.com

BTW, if he's English, he's British.

Old March 14th, 2004, 08:10 AM
Knight of the Road

"John Smith" wrote

Well, I still don't get it.

"Great Britain" means "those countries which form the larger landmass of the
British Isles"- and consists of England, Scotland and Wales. So I am English
and British too.

"The United Kingdom" is short for "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and
Northern Ireland". Ireland is not part of Britain.

Whether a person chooses to describe himself as English, British or European
is largely a matter of political preference, rather than geography.

--
Regards,
Vince

Truck Driving In Russia- www.coventon.co.uk

Old March 14th, 2004, 08:53 AM
Mike O'sullivan

"Knight of the Road" wrote in message

Whether a person chooses to describe himself as English, British or

European
is largely a matter of political preference, rather than geography.

or Scottish, or Irish, or Welsh.

Maybe the bloke was just trying to asserts his pride in his local ethnicity?

Old March 14th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Keith Willshaw

"John Smith" wrote in message
m...
On some inane television show I watched for a moment recently, a
character was asked if he was British. He said, "I'm not British. I'm
English." Is there a difference?

JS

Troll meter reading 1 out of 10

A poor effort coupled with an obviously fake name

Keith

Old March 14th, 2004, 12:49 PM
Mark Hewitt

"John Smith" wrote in message
m...
On some inane television show I watched for a moment recently, a
character was asked if he was British. He said, "I'm not British. I'm
English." Is there a difference?

OMG are you serious? I thought the amount of geographical knowledge in the
world was bad.. but really!

FWIW, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is the full
name of the country.
The UK consists of Great Brtain and Northern Ireland
Great Britain consists of Scotland, England and Wales.

England is but one country in Britain.

So the character in the TV show was just being awkward, if you are English,
you are also British.