Cell Phone Annoyance

Old September 25th, 2008, 03:00 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

Default Cell Phone Annoyance

[Default] Thus spake "Tobie Gerbrandt" :

Hey, George

We also realize that you NEVER have your cel phone turned on when you are in
the public areas of the ship. There are times when people are yapping away,
in a loud voice, on the phone in public, disturbing the other passengers.

It is important to be able to contact family, and business people, but it
should be done in private!

Several years ago, I was standing in line at Toys R Bucks just before
Christmas. A "woman" was talking on the phone, probably to her
roommate.

"Look, I don't care what you two do, but it kind of ****ed me off when
you came into my room. I'm certain you heard the vibrator going".

Then she looked around at us and, in a very nasty tone, said "do you
mind, this is a private conversation". At which point, some joker
turned on some sort of toy (kids toy) that made the same sort of
humming noise. And (he) started saying (in a high pitched voice) "oh
god, oh god".

Woman was ****ed, dropped her stuff and walked out.

Tobieon an Island in the Pacific

"George Leppla" wrote in message

"G&V" wrote in message
In the old days when the ship's horn sounded and we slid away from the
pier we breathed a sigh of relief knowing we escaped the every day cares
of the world for the next week or two. No matter what happened back
home, we probably would not find out about it until we returned.

The flip side is that back then, many people never took a cruise because
it was important that they stay in touch for business or personal reasons.
Those people still took vacations but did so at locations that had
telephone service. Now, they can take those vacations on a cruise ship and
still keep in touch.

For me, the ability to work for a few hours during a cruise (online and on
the phone) means that it is easier for me to cruise. I am sure that those
who have cruised with me will tell you that my "keeping in touch" hasn't
ever diminsihed my ability to have a good time on a cruise... or theirs.

YMMV

--
George Leppla http://www.CruiseMaster.com

October 26, 2008 Sleazy 5 http://www.cruisemaster.com/sleazy5.htm
Feb. 8, 2009 Solstice Valentine http://www.cruisemaster.com/solstice.htm
May 10, 2009 ALASKA http://www.cruisemaster.com/moagc4.htm

Old September 25th, 2008, 03:21 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

Default (no subject)

"Rosaly Z. Greenberger" wrote in message
Jean: Were you able to use your cell phone in Europe? Did you have to get
a special program from your supplier?
Glad you had a good trip. rosaly

Hi Rosaly,
Yes, I was able to use my cell phone in Europe...I have AT&T. I used it more
for text messaging which only cost 20-25 cents each time.So far our bill
reflects the text charges and a phone call I made to friends in Poland
before we left on Sept.1st.
That was $44. for 11 minutes made from our home land line... So the charges
from the cell will probably show up next month.
I was so pleased to see the progress and change for the better in what used
to be the Communist block countries.
What a huge contrast from when we last visited there in 1990. Lots of on
going building and construction...

--Jean

Old September 25th, 2008, 03:27 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

"Tom K" wrote in message

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in message

Well said, George....people that you love do not drop out of your life
just because you are on vacation.

--Jean

Or like when I was able to find Charles on the QM2 the first day using our
cell phones... the ship is bigger than LibertyOTS... not easy to find
someone unless you plan ahead of time.

--Tom

And I thought that the Liberty of the Seas was too big! Guess I have got to
get on the QM2 one day...Since those long transatlantic flights are such a
pain and so tedious, maybe I should look at a cruise to Europe and then
returning on the QM2 since it seems it is the only one going back and forth
the Atlantic each week.

--Jean

Old September 25th, 2008, 03:45 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in message

And I thought that the Liberty of the Seas was too big! Guess I have got
to get on the QM2 one day...Since those long transatlantic flights are
such a pain and so tedious, maybe I should look at a cruise to Europe and
then returning on the QM2 since it seems it is the only one going back and
forth the Atlantic each week.

--Jean

The QM2 does a few "back-to back-to backs", with a middle week in Europe...
where she does a transatlantic, then a week in Europe, and then a
transatlantic back.

Old September 25th, 2008, 04:34 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Chrissy Cruiser[_2_]

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 08:54:06 -0400, G&V wrote:

In the old days

There's your answer.
--
Charles of RTC said: "Like my smoker co-worker who has not worked for
three months now because he has to take oxygen due to diminished
Old September 25th, 2008, 04:36 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosaly Z. Greenberger[_2_]

Joseph Coulter wrote
"Rosaly Z. Greenberger" wrote in news:48DAD32F.9050303
@ptd.net:

Jean: Were you able to use your cell phone in Europe? Did you have to
get a special program from your supplier?
Glad you had a good trip. rosaly

It doesn't take a program it takes the right phone.. If you have Tmobile
or ATT you are on a GSM system and then it only takes a quad band (tri
will work limited usuage) to use the phone in Europe. To avoid roaming
there are steps to take but you have to have the right phone.

I have a Verizon phone so I suppose I will call them to find out the
answer. I know my children were able to use it in Canada.
Old September 25th, 2008, 05:05 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Rosaly Z. Greenberger" wrote in message
Joseph Coulter wrote
"Rosaly Z. Greenberger" wrote in news:48DAD32F.9050303
@ptd.net:

Jean: Were you able to use your cell phone in Europe? Did you have to get
a special program from your supplier?
Glad you had a good trip. rosaly

It doesn't take a program it takes the right phone.. If you have Tmobile
or ATT you are on a GSM system and then it only takes a quad band (tri
will work limited usuage) to use the phone in Europe. To avoid roaming
there are steps to take but you have to have the right phone.

I have a Verizon phone so I suppose I will call them to find out the
answer. I know my children were able to use it in Canada.

Canada has US frequency bands. European bands are different.

If you have Verizon (that's what I have), your phone most likely won't work
in Europe. But it will probably work ON the ship if you cruise there. And
rather inexpensively if you just want to text message. Like 10 cents to 20
cents per message, depending on your text message rates.

If you want to use your Verizon phone in Europe, they have some
international phones that you can buy (I went to the local store a few weeks
ago to find out about it). If you buy one of those, it has a sim card slot.
You can then buy a Vodafone sim card that will work in Europe. The rates
are on the high side to call from Europe back to the US.

Or you can buy an inexpensive unlocked phone and a European or international
sim card once you get there. Rates for those are low to call back to the
US.

--Tom

Old September 25th, 2008, 01:00 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

"AZ Nomad" wrote

It has always been possible to get in contact with cruise passengers
during an emergency. The invention of radio isn't new.

On one of my first cruises I had to call home. The cost to call from the
ship was $14.50 a minute. So yes, it was possible but prohibitive.

Most of the assholes screaming into their phones aren't involved with
anything remotely resembling an emergency.

The funny part of this whole discussion is that I really don't like cell
phones and the only time I use one is when I am either on the road or on a
trip. I have two pet peeves... people talking on cell phones while driving
or when in a restaurant.

That said, I am thinking of getting an I Phone. This way I can leave the
laptop home.