Another Survey! Things you would eliminate from mass market cruising

Old September 13th, 2003, 01:12 AM
Jeff Coudriet

Default Another Survey! Things you would eliminate from mass market cruising

Let's see.....

Howard Garland wrote:
Nevertheless, there
are a large number of things that I would eliminate from the current
cruise experience if I were "king for a day". Here are a few that come
to mind, in no particular order:

Ice and fruit carving demonstrations, exhibitions, and parades.

Yes, although I would like cooking classes....something a bit more
"hands on".

Those poor excuse for "baked" alaska parades.

Yes!

Constant advertising, whether on my stateroom loudspeaker or on (under)
my stateroom door.

Absolutely, can't stand advertising.

Cruise directors with loud, shrill voices.

Yes, wish we had little buttons we could push to send an electro-shock
to these people!

Cruise social staff who waste so much of my precious deck party time
trying to teach me how to have fun.

Yep, don't need classes on that!

Passenger talent shows.
Hairy chest, sexy leg, knobby knee, and all other passenger contests.

Yes!

Fashion shows by the pool.

Never saw, yet.

Waiters singing O Solo Mio, God Bless America, etc.

Yes, sign me up! I'm sure the waiters would love to not do it too!
Old September 13th, 2003, 01:15 AM
Jeff Coudriet

I've done that....and worse! Actually, it's made for some darn good
pictures some of which I actually bought...the first pictures I've ever
bought on a ship!

Jeff

SNUMBER6 wrote:

Ever get the desire to flip them the bird just as he's snapping the picture ...
???

Old September 13th, 2003, 01:16 AM
Charles

In article , Jeff Coudriet
wrote:

Never saw, yet.

That is part of the Celebrity rebranding. They did it by the pool on
Galaxy in April. The fashions are items sold at the Celebrity on board
shops and formal wear from the rental shop.

--
Charles
Old September 13th, 2003, 03:19 AM

Default Another Survey! Things you would eliminate from mass marketcru...

It's hard to ignore those announcements you can hear in your
room --- that would be my number one beef. On my last cruise,
the announcer spoke so quickly and breathlessly (oh my, he was
excited about everything!) that we couldn't understand a single word!

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, villa deauville wrote:

No need to eliminate anything. What one may dislike the other enjoys.
Just ignore those annoyances you may encounter.

SUNNY..........learned a long, long time ago ya cant please everyone.

S'nd I

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Katherine Becker "As god is my witness
I thought turkeys could fly"
NEVER SEND A FERRET TO DO A WEASEL's JOB --WKRP

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old September 13th, 2003, 04:39 AM
StephenM

1) I wish every damn cruise line on the planet would add $20 per day
to their food budget.

Adding $20 per day to the food budget of a ship with 2000 passengers
wouldn't make much difference (what do you want them to do - add a big bowl
of pretzels to the Buffet each day)

Sorry - couldn't help myself, I know you mean $20/day/passenger but the
above was the first thought that came to mind - won't do it again :)

Stephen

Old September 13th, 2003, 04:55 AM
Odysseus

I would eliminate:

Art auctions
Atriums that look like flea markets
Passenger [lack of] talent shows
Deceptive spa promotions (goop to dissolve cellulite)
Race horse auctions

Old September 13th, 2003, 05:51 AM
Schaller MACAW

Prepaid tips, Paying for food, Paying for ice cream , $3 bottle of
water, Paying $10 cork pulling fee, Beer belly contest, Waiting for that
group that always hogs the hot tubs to give some one else a turn, Towels
on every lounge ,even though there are only three people in the pool!
BILL

Old September 13th, 2003, 09:32 AM
Howard Garland

I agree Sunny. And actually, except for the pax talent shows which I
always manage to avoid and, thus should not have listed, the other
annoyances are more difficult for me ignore. For example, I love dancing
out on deck at a late night deck party. Often, just as I really get
into moving to the beat of a good reggae band, I am interrupted by
"fruit on parade" or some guy who wants to teach me the electric slide.

Howard

Old September 13th, 2003, 09:57 AM
Howard Garland

JDB wrote:

Why not send this kind of customer interest to the cruise lines instead of
listing on this newsgroup.

A good way to get this information from experienced cruisers is on this
kind of newsgroup. And, when there are some very common ideas expressed
in a thread like this, it should be of great interest to a cruise line.

You would be startled to know how uniformed are the execs of the cruise
companies. As you can tell from experience, much of the event planning is
based on 30-year concepts from the hospitality industry - or self-fulfilling
"marketing" ideas that the execs use and "prove" by studying their numbers
and seeing that business is almost always good or improving.

How right you are. I could not agree more. I think I may have stated
on an earlier thread that certain cruiselines (HAL for example) have
based their model of the likes and dislikes of a 50 year old cruiser on
what pax of this age were like (on average because we are all
individuals) in 1980. In fact, 50 year olds in 2003 are baby boomers
not bobby soxers. Our musical tastes, etc. are different from those of
folks who reached adulthood in the 1940's and 50's. We are an enormous
part of the actual and potential customer market for these cruise lines;
and it would be very prudent for them to carefully re-consider what they
provide us with.

Howard

Old September 13th, 2003, 10:03 AM
Howard Garland

In the case of cruise lines, the low costs (wages, etc) work against
your theory as compared to the high cost airlines. Carnival Cruise
Lines makes money while their high end brands (Seabourn & Cunard)
struggle to eke out a profit.

You are exactly right Ray. However, I do believe, that the lines would
all do better if there were more careful market segmentation both
between and within brands.

Howard