Who Will Stand Up for the Kids

Old September 23rd, 2003, 03:05 PM
Erm369

Default Who Will Stand Up for the Kids

From: Howard Garland

The amount of kid bashing that appears on this board is truly saddening.
Aren't there any of you, who like me, enjoy seeing some children on
cruise ships? Or are you all really that OLD?

I'm not and never hope to be!

Ermalee

Howard - who thinks it's about time to speak out on behalf of the children.

Old September 23rd, 2003, 03:29 PM
E.k.R.

I agree, although I will say there was not one child on my Silversea cruise
and it was bliss!

For mainstream lines I prefer Celebrity. They are not as "kid friendly" as
other lines, and this is a good thing for me. Let Princess, Carnival, NCL,
and Royal Caribbean have all the kids (although I like most of those lines
as well).

Celebrity has a series of "Adults Only" cruises and I think this is a great
idea. Unfortunately there are only 3-4 a year. More might be added if they
prove popular.

Another suggestion is to cruise while kids are in school. October,
November, early December, late January, and February are my favorite times
to cruise. The summer is my least favorite, but of course not everyone has
the luxury of choosing which month they can cruise.

I don't mind some kids, and I started cruising when I was 12 so I can
understand the appeal. The problem is that too many ships seem to be
overrun with teens and kids with no control. I've read it over and over on
every cruise board. They have a way of taking over the ship (pools,
lounges, even bars) to the exclusion of everyone else. In most cases, the
parents are NO WHERE to be found. Of course those parents must never post
on any of the cruise boards I read, as all I ever read is "my kids are so
well behaved", and "I always know where my kids are". So I wonder just
whose kids these are, that run wild, etch their names into the elevator, and
cause so much havoc onboard? I know it happens, as I've witnessed it too
many times during my cruises.

My last cruise was on CARNIVAL CONQUEST in July. I knew I was in for
trouble, but at least I was expecting it. I sailed with friends who could
only travel at this time. As expected, the ship was overrun with kids and
teens. Swimming was not even an option as ALL the pools were turned into
the "kiddy" pools, complete with splashing and everything else that goes
with toddlers in pools. There were also tons of teens, and basically they
took over the main Promenade every night. The geniuses at Carnival decided
to put the teen club smack dab in the middle of the main adult promenade, I
suppose in an attempt to have the teens feel "more adult". Any adults
trying to have some fun had to dodge in and out of teens trying to navigate
the Promenade, and of course waiting for drinks as the teens loved to hang
out at the bar "playing adult" and order drinks with the "soda cards". The
bartenders just loved them! The teens loved to order this power aid drink,
which looked just like beer when poured into a glass but it was
non-alcoholic. Of course once the teen club closed, they all just hung out
by the adult disco trying their best to get in. Luckily Carnival was smart
enough to post two guards at the entrance to the adult disco checking ID's.
I would leave the disco at 3am or later, and still hanging out on the
Promenade were tons of teens. Again I ask, where were the parents and why
let them loiter until 3am? A teen girl was allegedly raped by an adult male
on my sailing, and did this surprise me? No. When you start treating teens
like adults with no adult supervision, and place their club directly next to
the adult club, then add underage drinking, anything is possible.

Ernie - who will avoid summer cruises at all costs in the future, except for
Silversea in Europe... always up for that!

"Rich Cacace" richcacace-REMOVE TO wrote in message
t...
So what you're saying is I should have to find a more expensive ship line

avoid the kids - such as Radisson or Seabourn. I don't feel that I should
have to spend more in order to avoid the kids screaming & carrying on in

the
pool. As much as I dislike more restrictions, perhaps it's time for

another
"rule" keeping kids out of the solarium all together.

Old September 23rd, 2003, 04:13 PM
Bob and Amy

We LOVE to see children on cruiseships.....especially the young
ones....They make for the best BBQ....Damn good eatin!

Old September 23rd, 2003, 05:05 PM
FREDDYB

From: Howard Garland

The amount of kid bashing that appears on this board is truly saddening.
Aren't there any of you, who like me, enjoy seeing some children on
cruise ships? Or are you all really that OLD?

I'm not and never hope to be!

Ermalee

Howard - who thinks it's about time to speak out on behalf of the children.

I have taken my 3 kids 5, 7, 9 on cruises and
they have enjoyed the cruise programs for the kids
and never gotten in anyones way. It wouldn' t be
much of a vacation without my kids as I don't get
to spend too much time with them with a heavy work
schedule. I know there are folks who don't watch
their kids as well as they should, but I'm sure
they are on the cruise because it's easy to take
the kids and because it's a good value for a
family vacation. There are parents who don't
watch their kids on island resort vacations, and
they sure can get into some trouble there. KIds
are not unique to family vacatons, neither are
kids that are rude or noisy anywhere, they just
have to be minded.

I guess it's just important to teach children
manners...that's not really too much to expect
from an adult.

Please don't confuse me we that other
freddy...that posts on this site.

freddy

Old September 23rd, 2003, 05:47 PM
Howard Garland

I'll second that Erm.

Old September 23rd, 2003, 05:55 PM
Howard Garland

Some people seem to be unusually disturbed by anything that doesn't fit
into their neat little definition of propriety. I'm so happy that I am
not one of them. Having taken 41 cruises on 9 different lines, I can
honestly not recall a single instance of being bothered more than
momentarily by the behavior of a child or teen.

Howard

From: Howard Garland

Actually, a little unruliness is a healthy thing for
kids, as well as adults.

Really ??? Where is the line between a little and a lot ???

and in either event ... the unruliness should not be where it disturbs others

Be seeing you
In the Village
Number 6

Old September 23rd, 2003, 06:05 PM
Howard Garland

Tim wrote:
Maybe we should take a misery test and those too miserable to enjoy life
should just stay home instead.

Well stated Tim. At various times, numerous people on this board have
bitched about drinkers, smokers, children, the working class, those who
are overweight, etc. Although I love reading about ships and enjoy
being able to get useful information from many of the experienced
cruisers on the board, I wish the "perfect" people would find another
medium for their complaints and advice.

Howard

Old September 23rd, 2003, 06:27 PM
Jean O'Boyle

"Howard Garland" wrote in message
The amount of kid bashing that appears on this board is truly saddening.
Aren't there any of you, who like me, enjoy seeing some children on
cruise ships? Or are you all really that OLD?

Howard - who thinks it's about time to speak out on behalf of the

children.

Me too, Howard~~you'd think they were all born adults!!

--Jean

Old September 23rd, 2003, 06:31 PM
Tobie Gerbrandt

Yeah! Kids are people too. We all were kids once.

We've been on 26 cruises now and have never had a cruise ruined by the young
people onboard. I think it has a lot to do with your own outlook. A little
boisterous behavior is not going to destroy my enjoyment of my vacation.

This said, maybe we have been lucky and have never been on a cruise with
"hundreds of misbehaving brats". I guess that would be disappointing, but
before I complain I guess it will have to happen to me.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Tobieon an Island in the Pacific

"Howard Garland" wrote in message
The amount of kid bashing that appears on this board is truly saddening.
Aren't there any of you, who like me, enjoy seeing some children on
cruise ships? Or are you all really that OLD?

Howard - who thinks it's about time to speak out on behalf of the

children.

---