Tipping on cruise - please off some advice

Old June 7th, 2006, 05:25 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Tipping on cruise - please off some advice

Sue, Thank you very much for your comments. Now that you've made me think
about it a bit more, I have to agree with you that the cabin stewards
obviously are doing much more than normal hotel staff. According to what
I've read, I think Carnival automatically charges $10 per day, person for
all of these services? So if I'm taking a 4 night cruise, does that mean
that they will automatically charge me $200 because we are a family of 5 ?

The soda cards are definitely something we need to purchase. My wife and I
don't drink and because I am a diabetic, the cruise line informed me that
the only free drinks available are sugar-free iced tea (which I don't like)
or juices (that I cannot drink due to my diabetes) or coffee, tea and water.
I do drink lots of water and a bit of coffee in the morning, but I guess if
I want a sugar free soda, then I will have to buy a soda card as you
suggest.

Thanks so much for your help. I sincerely appreciate it.

Eddie

"Sue and Kevin Mullen" wrote in message

Eddie-Type2 wrote:

My point of my original posting is that I really don't understand why tips
have to be automatically added when tipping is supposed to be optional??!!

I have no problem with tipping when service is good but I just don't want

be told that I must tip regardless of the service provided! It's the
principle of it!

Eddie,

On most cruise lines you can go down to the pursers deck and remove or
change the amount of the tips if you want to. I think that you will
find the service to be well worth the amount that is put on your card
and very often worth adding some extra cash.

Cruise ship service is much different then hotel service. Your cabin
will be cleaned/straghtened up twice a day, both time fresh towels
will be provided and in the evening your beds will be turned down
while you are off to dinner. Your cabin steward will see that you have
whatever you need, ice bucket filled, extra blankets/pillows, extra
towels, whatever you need. Only once out of 15 cruises so far has our
cabin steward not deserved more then the minimum suggested amount of
tip. The same thing is true of the dining room staff and since you are
traveling with your family, you will see the dining room staff and
cabin steward doing extra to make sure your children are treated very
well. The 15% gratututy on your sign and sail card is only for booze
and sodas. Since you are sailing with your children, you might want to
investigate soda cards, that would give them unlimited sodas at a
fixed price.

sue

Old June 7th, 2006, 05:36 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Dick G" dickdotgoldhaber@gmaildotcom wrote in message

I am not aware that I ever filed a false report about our dear Bobby.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

Remember this?
"What I meant was that I was proud if any of the complaints
that I sent to Google contributed to the loss of your precious
account, and I am really
annoyed that the complaints that I have filed with them
against you since you showed your true colors by defying
the ban and posting 54 more messages here, and a
current total of 97 overall. Do you have a problem with that?"

So, the semantics that you hide behind are concerned with the word "false"?
But Google didn't agree with you. And neither do I.

--
SJF

Old June 7th, 2006, 05:41 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

George, your guilt trip is not working on me, so give it up.

I'm not going to fence with you or anyone else over this.

If tipping is part of the cruise experience, then the cruise lines shouldn't
call it a tip or gratuity and they should most definitely not be adding it
on automatically to my bill.

If they (or you) insist on pressuring people to tip, then they should just
include it as a visible service charge in the price of the cruise, just the
same as every other all inclusive resort vacation.

Why do cruises think they can nickel and dime everyone to death or lay guilt
trips on them? THEY ARE EXPLOITING THOSE POOR PEOPLE by not paying them
proper wages!!! But I guess that's OK with you right? I suppose you're all
in agreement with child labor as well? Give me a break man and get off your
damn soapbox please!

If they have nothing to hide, then it should their policy should be clear
and concise. If tipping is supposed to be discretionary, then so be it, let
it be discretionary and don't pull any guilt tactics by adding it onto
someone's bill and them having them ask to remove it or reduce it.

What a crock! and people like you feed on this and encourage it!

Is it possible that maybe you are one of these waiter's on a cruise ship?
If so, then tips must be pretty good if you can afford internet access eh?
LOL!

Look, if I think service is good, then I always tip more than 15%, but it's
my decision to do so! I don't need to be told that I must tip!

Eddie

"George Leppla" wrote in message

"Eddie-Type2" wrote

My point of my original posting is that I really don't understand why tips
have to be automatically added when tipping is supposed to be optional??!!

I have no problem with tipping when service is good but I just don't want
be told that I must tip regardless of the service provided! It's the
principle of it!

Your principle may be right... but a pragmatic person knows what is expected
of them before hand and then decides to either go along with the program or
go on another type of vacation. Tips are a part of the cost of going on a
cruise just as much as transportation to the ship. You need to figure this
in when you are looking to book.

OR... you can get onboard and tell your cabin steward and waiter up-front
that you don't believe in the tipping system at all and won't be tipping
them the recommended amount and you expect excellent service anyway. Let
them know that you are standing on your principles. I mean, that would be
only fair, wouldn't it? I am sure you would still receive excellent service
from these people whose salary is about $10 a week. (no, that is not right
but that is the way it is, take it or leave it... and stiffing the workers
isn't going to change it)

--
George Leppla http://www.countryside-travel.com

October 29, 2006 - SLEAZY 4! http://cruisemaster.com/sleazy4.htm
February 10, 2007 - Valentine's Group - http://cruisemaster.com/grandeur.htm
April 29, 2007 GGC2007 http://cruisemaster.com/pride.htm
October 14, 2007 MOAGC 3 - http://www.moagc-3.com

Old June 7th, 2006, 05:46 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

SJF wrote:
"Dick G" dickdotgoldhaber@gmaildotcom wrote in message

I am not aware that I ever filed a false report about our dear Bobby.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

Remember this?
"What I meant was that I was proud if any of the complaints
that I sent to Google contributed to the loss of your precious
account, and I am really
annoyed that the complaints that I have filed with them
against you since you showed your true colors by defying
the ban and posting 54 more messages here, and a
current total of 97 overall. Do you have a problem with that?"

So, the semantics that you hide behind are concerned with the word "false"?
But Google didn't agree with you. And neither do I.

--
SJF

SJF, you're spots on AGAIN!

We virtually posted the same evidence independently and at
nearly the same time. Mine was time-stamped 12:25 pm,
shortly before yours, probably while your were looking up
Dick's post and posting this one.

-- Bob.

Old June 7th, 2006, 06:15 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Eddie-Type2" wrote in message
George, your guilt trip is not working on me, so give it up.

I'm not going to fence with you or anyone else over this.

If tipping is part of the cruise experience, then the cruise lines
shouldn't
call it a tip or gratuity and they should most definitely not be adding it
on automatically to my bill.

If they (or you) insist on pressuring people to tip, then they should just
include it as a visible service charge in the price of the cruise, just
the
same as every other all inclusive resort vacation.

I agree... they SHOULD do that... but they don't and you know it before you
get on the ship. Please tell me how stiffing the help is going to change
the cruise line's policy?

Why do cruises think they can nickel and dime everyone to death or lay
guilt
trips on them? THEY ARE EXPLOITING THOSE POOR PEOPLE by not paying them
proper wages!!! But I guess that's OK with you right?

The issue is not if it is OK with me... but if it is OK with the people who
work on the ships. When you actually get on a ship for the first time, talk
to some of them and ask them what they think. Make sure you tell them that
you believe that the system sucks and you are going to single-handedly
change it by not giving them a tip. Tell them that it is for their own
good.

Is it possible that maybe you are one of these waiter's on a cruise ship?

Yes, you figured it out. I am a waiter on a cruise ship. Sheesh.

FWIW... this is an OLD, OLD argument. Every once in a while, someone drops
in here and asks about this... or wants to know if they skip a few meals do
they still have to tip the waiters, etc. Here is a link to a post I made in
2000 about this subject and it is scary how it is still true almost 6 years
later: http://tinyurl.com/ksxmo

Now you will have to excuse me... it is lunch hour and my tables are filling
up and the Maitre 'd is giving me dirty looks.

Old June 7th, 2006, 06:15 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

From a Darwinian perspective........it is a shame that Eddie now has off
spring.
They will be raised to be assholes and further corrupt our society.

IV

Old June 7th, 2006, 06:33 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Eddie,

You don't have to tip for kids under 2. Here's the FAQ on Carnival tipping:
http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Gratuities_Tips.aspx

We travel with two kids and have cruised many times with them. The onboard
service has generally been exemplary. If you add up what you'd pay in a
restaurant for the meals your 5 consume all day, I feel confident you will
feel the dining service tips are a bargain. As Sue explained, the
housekeeping services extend far beyond a cursory daily room tidy--I think
you'll similarly feel satisfied with the recommended tip for your cabin
attendant(s).

Cruising offers a great family vacation. Have fun!

Diana Ball
near Houston, TX

Old June 7th, 2006, 06:33 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Eddie-Type2" wrote in
:

George, your guilt trip is not working on me, so give it up.

I'm not going to fence with you or anyone else over this.

If tipping is part of the cruise experience, then the cruise lines
shouldn't call it a tip or gratuity and they should most definitely
not be adding it on automatically to my bill.

If you don't think that you should be requred to tip and if you want to
pay for a cruise that pays it's waiters and room stewards properly then
sail on Regent or Seabourne or Silversea, otherwise welcome to the world
of abusive employment practices and sailing and not tipping is being
just as, if not more, abusive than the cruise lines since you will be
doing it knowingly having asked the question.

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Old June 7th, 2006, 07:34 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Where have I said in any of my posts that I won't tip or that I refuse to
tip?

Why does everyone seem to be missing the point that I don't want to be told
that I must tip and then translate that into that I just won't tip?

Come on people! I didn't come here for a fight, I came here to understand
the situation and gain some opinion and knowledge.

Thank you to those posters that have been helpful and welcoming in their
comments.

Eddie

"Joseph Coulter" wrote in message
. 97.136...
"Eddie-Type2" wrote in
:

Old June 7th, 2006, 07:39 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

George,

On the other newsgroup I frequent they have something called the "POTD", the
"Post Of The Day".

I don't know if they have it here, and I don't know if I know which of the
many notes you have shared today would win.

At first I thought it was your message to Bobby the brainless this morning
in "GGC2007", but I have to give equal weight to this tome.

To qualify for a POTD you have to abuse morons like Bobby and Eddie in a way
that amuses the rest of us, and leaves them totally clueless.

It's like brainless Bobby complaining about us complaining about his
spelling, when he misspells words in his complaint.

Thank you, George, for making me laugh.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ