Connecting Flights in USA

Old June 24th, 2005, 08:42 AM
Lansbury

Default Connecting Flights in USA

I fly to the USA a fair bit and nowhere I go can I get a direct flight so
always need to make a connection.

The last couple of years I started to notice if I book 3 or 4 months in
advance the connecting flight invariable gets changed. Have a trip booked now
where the connecting flight changed completely to a different number and time,
and that new flight has now had its departure time changed twice.

Not a problem it has doubled the layover in SFO but no big deal, but I did
wonder if I've been unlucky recently or if this is becoming quite a common
occurrence.
-
Lansbury
www.uk-air.net
FAQs for the alt.travel.uk.air newsgroup
Old June 24th, 2005, 09:13 AM
-L.

Lansbury wrote:
I fly to the USA a fair bit and nowhere I go can I get a direct flight so
always need to make a connection.

The last couple of years I started to notice if I book 3 or 4 months in
advance the connecting flight invariable gets changed. Have a trip booked now
where the connecting flight changed completely to a different number and time,
and that new flight has now had its departure time changed twice.

Not a problem it has doubled the layover in SFO but no big deal, but I did
wonder if I've been unlucky recently or if this is becoming quite a common
occurrence.
-
Lansbury
www.uk-air.net
FAQs for the alt.travel.uk.air newsgroup

I have found that on the shorter legs, they sometimes combine flights
if there aren't enough people on each. I have had flights changed
about 33% of the time, over the past year and a half, on multiple
carriers - Alaska, Delta, United and America West.

-L.

Old June 24th, 2005, 09:32 AM
KGB

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 08:42:35 +0100, Lansbury
wrote:

I fly to the USA a fair bit and nowhere I go can I get a direct flight so
always need to make a connection.

The last couple of years I started to notice if I book 3 or 4 months in
advance the connecting flight invariable gets changed. Have a trip booked now
where the connecting flight changed completely to a different number and time,
and that new flight has now had its departure time changed twice.

Not a problem it has doubled the layover in SFO but no big deal, but I did
wonder if I've been unlucky recently or if this is becoming quite a common
occurrence.

Hi

I have had my September flights (MAN to LAX via Dulles with BMI)
booked since early Feb.

The only thing now different is that the first leg (MAN to Dulles) has
apparently been changed from a BMI aircraft to Icelandair.

Other than that all times, flight Nos. etc. are the same - so far!!!!

Regards
P.S. Hopefully the change to Icelandair will not mean salted whalemeat
for inflight meals and a stopover in Reykjavik!!!!

KGB

Old June 24th, 2005, 09:34 AM
fox1

wrote:

Not a problem it has doubled the layover in SFO but no big deal, but I did
wonder if I've been unlucky recently or if this is becoming quite a common
occurrence.

My recent trip EDI-EWR-SLC-IDA itinerary was changed 3 weeks before
departure..yes the layover times increased. :-(
--

View my aircraft pictures:
"http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1753"
Old June 24th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Pan

"KGB (KGB)" wrote in message

I have had my September flights (MAN to LAX via Dulles with BMI)
booked since early Feb.

The only thing now different is that the first leg (MAN to Dulles) has
apparently been changed from a BMI aircraft to Icelandair.

Icelandair doesn't fly to Dulles as far as I know.

Pan

Old June 24th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Robert J Carpenter

"KGB (KGB)" wrote in message

I have had my September flights (MAN to LAX via Dulles with BMI)
booked since early Feb.

The only thing now different is that the first leg (MAN to Dulles)

has
apparently been changed from a BMI aircraft to Icelandair.

Last I knew, Icelandair flew to BWI, not Dulles. Better check that
your onward flight is from the same airport that Icelandair uses.

Old June 24th, 2005, 03:50 PM
KGB

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 06:46:15 -0400, "Robert J Carpenter"
wrote:

"KGB (KGB)" wrote in message

I have had my September flights (MAN to LAX via Dulles with BMI)
booked since early Feb.

The only thing now different is that the first leg (MAN to Dulles)

has
apparently been changed from a BMI aircraft to Icelandair.

Last I knew, Icelandair flew to BWI, not Dulles. Better check that
your onward flight is from the same airport that Icelandair uses.

Hi

Just done that and Icelandair does fly to Dulles in this instance.

We are actually booked to fly United Airlines and their website
clearly states "United Airlines 4855 (Operated by Icelandair For Bmi)"
and shown as flying from MAN to IAD - we then continue from IAD to LAX
on flight 947

According to Trailfinders, what has happened is that, whilst it is
still officially a United Airlines/BMI flight, they have chartered the
aircraft from Icelandair.

Regards

KGB

Old June 24th, 2005, 05:29 PM
nobody

Lansbury wrote:
The last couple of years I started to notice if I book 3 or 4 months in
advance the connecting flight invariable gets changed.

Whenever you have a large proportion of airlines in a country in dire
financial straights and a push for them to streamline schedules and cut
costs, you must expect constant schedule changes.

And with those low cost carriers highly succesful, they also change
schedules as they add new services :-)
Old June 24th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Lansbury

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 12:29:20 -0400, nobody wrote:

Whenever you have a large proportion of airlines in a country in dire
financial straights and a push for them to streamline schedules and cut
costs, you must expect constant schedule changes.

What I expect was the case.

No real hardship but in future I'll avoid the afternoon flight to SFO as the
onward connection has started out arriving in PDX at 8pm and gradually in each
case crept towards 11pm, with another 90 minutes or so to collect baggage,
rental car and travel to destination. Not a big deal but an inconvenience to
the people you are visiting if they have to be up at 6am next morning for
work. Back to using the 8am/9am departure.

Still as I tell my step-son when he complains, he kept his mother up half the
night when he arrived so it is pay back time :-)

-
Old June 25th, 2005, 02:32 AM
Jeff Hacker

"Lansbury" wrote in message
I fly to the USA a fair bit and nowhere I go can I get a direct flight so
always need to make a connection.

The last couple of years I started to notice if I book 3 or 4 months in
advance the connecting flight invariable gets changed. Have a trip booked
now
where the connecting flight changed completely to a different number and
time,
and that new flight has now had its departure time changed twice.

Not a problem it has doubled the layover in SFO but no big deal, but I did
wonder if I've been unlucky recently or if this is becoming quite a common
occurrence.
-
Lansbury
www.uk-air.net
FAQs for the alt.travel.uk.air newsgroup

Actually, the situation with U.S. domestic airlines is so unsettled these
days it is not only common but fast becoming the norm. Airlines enter and
leave markets at will, and some of the major carriers have cut back mainline
service, substituting commuter partners.