Cruise Ships Financially Exploit Onshore Stores

Old June 4th, 2012, 05:20 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

Default Cruise Ships Financially Exploit Onshore Stores

On Wed, 30 May 2012 01:59:34 -0400, Bill
wrote:

On 5/29/2012 10:08 AM, wrote:

The greed is people wanting to buy stuff on the cheap. They are
trying to fool the vendor into giving them more than they are paying
for. If they weren't focused so much on getting a bargain, they
might think a little more about it.

It's not greed, it's good old fashioned bargain hunting and wanting to
get the best deal possible. And it's become more popular of late with
the problems with the economy.

It is greed. And the markets where people bargain and think they get
the better of the vendor - the vendor just lets them think that. If
the vendor did not make a profit, they wouldn't stay in business.

Old fashioned bargain hunting is going to yard sales or comparison
shopping. I don't believe that any stores in the cruise ship ports
are giving any kind of good deal if they have to pay the ship a
kickback, which they do.

If you enjoy walking into a store and paying the regular price on the
tag, more power to you. It's people like you who allow those of us who
are price conscious to save money.

I have to say up front that I do not like to shop. My husband is the
shopper in the family. I sometimes buy some small useful item (if
possible a local product) as a gift for family when I'm on a trip, but
most of my grandchildren are too old to be happy to get those kinds of
things now.

I also found in Cozumel specifically that the cruise ship recommended
stores had fixed prices but the stores on the back streets(which the
cruise ship shopper said were unsafe and no one should go there) were
willing to bargain.

I have also been in a bargaining situation at one of those flea
markets and asked the woman if I bought three of the items that $3.00
each, how much of a discount she could give me. She said she would
give me three for $12.00. I don't know if she thought I wouldn't have
enough fingers to figure out that $12 for three items would be $4.00
each or what.
Old June 4th, 2012, 08:56 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RayC

On 6/3/2012 9:20 PM, wrote:

[...]

We used to lead diving groups to Cozumel several years ago before the
cruise ships came every day. And the number one piece of advice we gave
our travelers was to NOT shop on the day that the cruise ships arrived
and to NEVER shop the cruise ship "center". The pricing was easily 25%
higher than the day before. And as for the warning about back streets
.... bunk. The most dangerous people in Cozumel are the tourists. If a
local is caught ripping you off, besides the local legal penalties (like
a VERY uncomfortable jail), they are barred from working there again.
Some of the best restaurants are on the back streets.

--

Ray
+++++++++++++++++++++++
Old June 5th, 2012, 04:08 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Mon, 04 Jun 2012 12:56:25 -0700, RayC wrote:

On 6/3/2012 9:20 PM, wrote:

[...]

Yes we were in Cozumel for a week to dive. I felt safe by myself
everywhere in Cozumel. One woman said that he knew the prohibitions
of the cruise shopper person were true because she had seen a news
story on TV about a tourist in Mexico City that was robbed. That's SO
STUPID. It was the same thing when we visited the USVI before we
visited there on a cruise ship. It was supposed to be so much of a
crime problem there.

We had a lot of fun visiting various Cozumel restaurants, although I
had to learn to ask for the bill as they wouldn't try to hurry you up
to leave. Some of the cruise ship people were quite obnoxious. It
gave us a bad view of that kind of cruising and I had a hard time
convincing my husband to go on a cruise ship after that experience.

Old June 6th, 2012, 04:06 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

On 6/5/2012 10:59 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 04 Jun 2012 20:17:54 -0400, Bill
wrote:

On 6/4/2012 12:20 AM,
wrote:

I also found in Cozumel specifically that the cruise ship recommended
stores had fixed prices but the stores on the back streets(which the
cruise ship shopper said were unsafe and no one should go there) were
willing to bargain.

So is this what you consider greed? I am confused.

I don't know what you mean, so I am confused too.

You had said:

If the people were paying attention (or weren't so greedy), or if they
had ever been to a cruise ship destination like Cozumel when they were
not on a cruise, this wouldn't be a surprise to them. It's no worse
than those art auctions.

and then:

The greed is people wanting to buy stuff on the cheap. They are
trying to fool the vendor into giving them more than they are paying
for. If they weren't focused so much on getting a bargain, they
might think a little more about it.

and then this:

but then you said this:

I also found in Cozumel specifically that the cruise ship recommended
stores had fixed prices but the stores on the back streets(which the
cruise ship shopper said were unsafe and no one should go there) were
willing to bargain.

So you're telling us that people who look for bargains in cruise
destinations like Cozumel are being greedy. Then you tell us about
stores on the back streets where you can bargain. I am confused how
you're telling us looking for a bargain is greed and then you tell us
that you also do it.

Did that help?
Old June 7th, 2012, 03:18 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 23:06:52 -0400, Bill
wrote:

On 6/5/2012 10:59 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 04 Jun 2012 20:17:54 -0400, Bill
wrote:

but then you said this:

I also found in Cozumel specifically that the cruise ship recommended
stores had fixed prices but the stores on the back streets(which the
cruise ship shopper said were unsafe and no one should go there) were
willing to bargain.

So you're telling us that people who look for bargains in cruise
destinations like Cozumel are being greedy. Then you tell us about
stores on the back streets where you can bargain. I am confused how
you're telling us looking for a bargain is greed and then you tell us
that you also do it.

Did that help?

I was saying that going to the ship recommended stores and thinking
that you are getting a great bargain would only be possible if you
were greedy. Bargaining in an area of the world where that is the
norm isn't greedy. I don't like to do it, but sometimes it is
appropriate.

In order to really get a bargain, IMHO you have to know the product
well enough to be able to tell what the quality is and know what the
normal price is. That goes for everywhere - not just cruise ship
ports. Relying on the 'recommended stores' isn't going to do it.

Tanzinite has (again in my opinion) an artificially inflated price. If
you want to get a true price for something you bought in a port, you
should ask the jeweler to buy it from you. If the price he offers you
is more than you paid, then you got a bargain.

Old June 7th, 2012, 06:28 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

wrote:
On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 23:06:52 -0400, Bill

I was saying that going to the ship recommended stores and thinking
that you are getting a great bargain would only be possible if you
were greedy. Bargaining in an area of the world where that is the
norm isn't greedy. I don't like to do it, but sometimes it is
appropriate.

In order to really get a bargain, IMHO you have to know the product
well enough to be able to tell what the quality is and know what the
normal price is. That goes for everywhere - not just cruise ship
ports. Relying on the 'recommended stores' isn't going to do it.

Tanzinite has (again in my opinion) an artificially inflated price. If
you want to get a true price for something you bought in a port, you
should ask the jeweler to buy it from you. If the price he offers you
is more than you paid, then you got a bargain.

They don't go to the recommended store because they are greedy. Passengers
go to them because they are not savvy. The cruise line blitzes them with
shopping talks and handouts so those stores are where many head to when
they get off the ship.

--
Charles