Just returned from cruise - don't get it...

Old July 11th, 2004, 05:56 AM
A Mate

Default Just returned from cruise - don't get it...

deedee - you may be alone in this group - but I agree!! The endles bickering
in the group about minutae probably says it all!1 Too many people, with too
much money, and an enormous inability to exercise initiative in entertaining
themselves.

Ah! Well!! It keeps them all out of the real world for a time!!

"deedee_tv" wrote in message
. ..
I just returned from a 7 day western Caribbean cruise on Celebrity

Century.
I guess it is me but I don't get it. Although this was my first cruise, I
have traveled extensively (25+ European trips, 5 trips to Far East,
Hawaii...). I really did not enjoy the cruise. The food was OK but

seemed
to emphasize quantity over quality. I saw people ordering 3 shrimp
cocktails each dinner even though it wasn't a menu option. I definitely

do
not care for the "all you can eat" mentality.

I had to start thinking about wardrobe options about a month prior and
needed $700 worth of clothes to fulfill the requirements of the evening
dress code. I followed the guidelines but was in the top 5-10% in terms

of
actually wearing what was "required".

The port destinations were far too short to accomplish anything. All

ports
(Ocho Rios, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozamel and Key West) left you in the
most touristy areas which gave little ability to get to see the country.

I ended up with the $3000+ cruise price plus an additional $1600 spend on
board for shore excursions, drinks, spa treatments, bingo and very light
gambling.

I don't need that much structure to relax. I know people who rave about
cruising but give me a condo on just about any beach and the ability to

pick
which restaurant I eat at in the evening and I will save thousands and be
much happier.

Am I alone here?

Old July 11th, 2004, 06:49 AM
Ray Goldenberg

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 03:31:30 GMT, "deedee_tv"
wrote:

I just returned from a 7 day western Caribbean cruise on Celebrity Century.

Hi Everyone,

I thought this post sounded strange. vbg A quick Google of the
poster showed more than I wanted to know about deedee the
transvestite. I can see why HE had to spend so much $$ buying ladies
clothes. They are rather expensive, so I have heard. ;+)
http://tinyurl.com/362os
Just another Saturday night on r.t.cruises vbg

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old July 11th, 2004, 09:03 AM
Cruising Chrissy

wrote:

I don't need that much structure to relax. I know people who rave about
cruising but give me a condo on just about any beach and the ability to pick
which restaurant I eat at in the evening and I will save thousands and be
much happier.

Am I alone here?

Look in your bed and tell me.
Old July 11th, 2004, 09:08 AM
Cruising Chrissy

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 22:49:59 -0700, Ray Goldenberg
wrote:

I thought this post sounded strange. vbg A quick Google of the
poster showed more than I wanted to know about deedee the
transvestite. I can see why HE had to spend so much $$ buying ladies
clothes. They are rather expensive, so I have heard. ;+)

So, Ray, when did you become a transvestite bigot?

Was it because of a family member?

Old July 11th, 2004, 01:24 PM
jcoulter

"deedee_tv" wrote in
:

I don't need that much structure to relax. I know people who rave
about cruising but give me a condo on just about any beach and the
ability to pick which restaurant I eat at in the evening and I will
save thousands and be much happier.

Am I alone here?

Cruising is one way to wvacation. Although some feel it is the only way, it
is not for people who want to enjoy the ambience of a new place, as you
discovered you just arene't there long enough.

Food. Cruise food is at best banquet food prepared for thousands. Some of
it is good, it is rarely great. Celebrity is actually one of the more
quality than quantity lines (You should see the others!) Cruisers make
jokes about eating every 15 minutes, but you may have felt that they
actually do.

Could t=you have spent less, yes could you have gotten more for your money
perhaps, but the basic question is will you find any cruise to your liking,
probably no. Even the more expensive lines still come and go from ports
leaving one wondering either why did we leave or why did we stop here?

I like cruising but it is not my only means of travel or vacation. if you
asked me what I would truly love it might well be a few days in Paris- and
cruise ships don't really get there despite what the itineraries say.
Old July 11th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Tom & Linda

Seems a little steep, like you said. But it's a mid summer sailing, which
because of families, makes it a peak time sailing. Easter, Xmas and Summer
are when families can go, so prices can be much higher than an off week in
October or December.

--Tom

"Mike Cordelli" wrote in message
m...
If you spent $4,600 on a seven night Caribbean cruise on Celebrity.....

Never mind, you were taken from the get go.

Cruising obviously isn't for you, it's not for everybody. But you need a
better travel agent, you spent way too much unless you were in a suite.

. ..

Old July 11th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Tom & Linda

"deedee_tv" wrote in message
. ..

Vacations are a time to relax and unwind. I wasn't able to
begin to unwind on this trip.

I'm curious. Why couldn't you unwind?

Would you have preferred more quiet days at sea? Or more time in ports?

--Tom

Old July 11th, 2004, 01:57 PM
jcoulter

jcoulter wrote in
:

I like cruising but it is not my only means of travel or vacation. if
you asked me what I would truly love it might well be a few days in
Paris- and cruise ships don't really get there despite what the
itineraries say.

But even the few days in Paris is open to differing tastes, some people
like cheap hotels (ewith real european feel, others like chain hotels
(where they know what they are getting) others like expensive european feel
hotels like the Crillon where everyone who sees them walk out know that
they have money.

Tastes vary that is why we still have options in travel.