Paying in US dollars

Old April 14th, 2007, 08:37 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
speckled hen

Default Paying in US dollars

Hi
I am due to go on the sea princess in June leaving Southampton, I have
just received some info on the cruise and I notice when the cruise
ends I will have to settle my account using US dollars, it also states
that if I use UK pounds I will be charged 3% as well as a commision
depending on the exchange rate.

When I went with P&O I just settled with my UK visa card.
I had thought about getting travellers cheques in US dollars and doing
it that way.

Does anyone know a way round these charges?

Old April 14th, 2007, 09:07 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dasco

We're taking a cruise out of Southampton (not Sea Princess) and have a
similar issue. We've decided to take $ cheques and $ cash (together with
Euros). FWIW - Tesco (Extra Stores) have an exchange bureaux and yesterday
the rate for the $ was 1.922.

HTH - Dave

ups.com...

Old April 14th, 2007, 09:11 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
JohnT

"speckled hen" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi
I am due to go on the sea princess in June leaving Southampton, I have
just received some info on the cruise and I notice when the cruise
ends I will have to settle my account using US dollars, it also states
that if I use UK pounds I will be charged 3% as well as a commision
depending on the exchange rate.

When I went with P&O I just settled with my UK visa card.
I had thought about getting travellers cheques in US dollars and doing
it that way.

Does anyone know a way round these charges?

Get a Nationwide Visa card and pay your account with that. They charge no
commission at all on "foreign" transactions.

JohnT

Old April 14th, 2007, 12:27 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Edward[_1_]

JohnT wrote:
"speckled hen" wrote in message
ups.com...

Hi
I am due to go on the sea princess in June leaving Southampton, I have
just received some info on the cruise and I notice when the cruise
ends I will have to settle my account using US dollars, it also states
that if I use UK pounds I will be charged 3% as well as a commision
depending on the exchange rate.

When I went with P&O I just settled with my UK visa card.
I had thought about getting travellers cheques in US dollars and doing
it that way.

Does anyone know a way round these charges?

Get a Nationwide Visa card and pay your account with that. They charge no
commission at all on "foreign" transactions.

JohnT

I just checked the website, and Nationwide now charges 3%, or maybe I
missed something?
Old April 14th, 2007, 01:05 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
JohnT

"Edward" wrote in message
. ..
JohnT wrote:
[...]

All I can find on their website is the Comic Relief card, but all the cards
are the same re Foreign charges. Look at
http://www.nationwide.co.uk/creditca...re-details.htm and nil
commission is stated near the end. I use my Nationwide card regularly and I
get an exteremely good rate when being charged in US $.

JohnT

Old April 14th, 2007, 11:35 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Edward[_1_]

JohnT wrote:
"Edward" wrote in message
. ..

JohnT wrote:

"speckled hen" wrote in message
groups.com...

[...]

http://www.nationwidebank.com/credit...A05F1D70530 E

It may even be a different company, or maybe the difference between U.S
and UK.
Old April 15th, 2007, 10:51 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
JohnT

"Edward" wrote in message
JohnT wrote:
"Edward" wrote in message
. ..

JohnT wrote:

[...]

You are referring to a Bank in the USA. My reference was to a UK Building
Society. The OP appears to live in the UK.

JohnT

Old April 15th, 2007, 06:37 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Leland F. Dumas

When I used an ATM in London last fall I was charged a "Conversion fee" also
by Visa. I think it was only 1% though.

"JohnT" wrote in message
. uk...

"Edward" wrote in message
. ..

Old April 15th, 2007, 07:03 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

"Leland F. Dumas" wrote:

When I used an ATM in London last fall I was charged a "Conversion fee" also
by Visa. I think it was only 1% though.

I have been calling my different credit cards to check on this. One
VISA, a debit card and one Mastercard charges 1% my AmExp charges 2%
another VISA and one Mastercard charges 3%. Guess which ones I'm
going to take?

"JohnT" wrote in message
.uk...

"Edward" wrote in message
. ..

Old April 17th, 2007, 03:39 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dave[_7_]

On 14 Apr 2007 00:37:37 -0700, "speckled hen"
wrote:

Hi
I am due to go on the sea princess in June leaving Southampton, I have
just received some info on the cruise and I notice when the cruise
ends I will have to settle my account using US dollars, it also states
that if I use UK pounds I will be charged 3% as well as a commision
depending on the exchange rate.

When I went with P&O I just settled with my UK visa card.
I had thought about getting travellers cheques in US dollars and doing
it that way.

Does anyone know a way round these charges?

If you've printed out your e-ticket and boarding pass you'll see that
you have the option to pay your bill by credit card using your home
currency. If you don't choose this option by checking the block on
the form, Princess bills in US dollars and charges the conversion
rate.

I've also seen people post to make sure you verbally point this out
when you check in.

Dave
Sea Princess - May 12th - Southampton