Paying cash for tix

Old March 31st, 2004, 04:09 AM
nobody

Default Paying cash for tix

Scott wrote:
I would have preferred to use a credit card, but the limit wasn't
enough and my Credit Union won't increase it. I'm thinking of getting
rid of that card and getting one from elsewhere.

With either an ATM, internet or telephone transaction, you can TRANSFER funds
from your chequing
to credit card account and those funds become immediatly available on the
credit card.

(If your credit card is from a different institution and you must use a "pay
bill" option, then that transfer takes days.)

So if you have a credit limit of $1000 and you want to spend $5000 on the
credit card, transfer $5000 to the credit card, and then you can spend $5000.
(or send $4000, spend $5000 with $1000 to be paid on your credit card bill).
Old March 31st, 2004, 04:11 AM
nobody

mtravelkay wrote:
My regular visa and my visa checkcard both start with 4

BINs are, last I heard, 6 digits. And yes, 4 is Visa, 5 Mastercard. Note that
a "visa" bank can also use 4 for its own ATM (non visa) cards. It just has to
register the BINs to Visa.
Old March 31st, 2004, 04:47 AM
Scott

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 01:12:56 GMT, mtravelkay wrote:

Scott wrote:

I thought that the number itself identifies the card. Credit cards
have certain numb ers, while debit cards have a different set of
numbers. like 4 = Visa and 5 = Mastercard. That's what I think but
could be wrong.

My regular visa and my visa checkcard both start with 4

I didn't mean the first number, that was just an example. I really do
not know whether I am right or not.

Old March 31st, 2004, 11:26 AM

nobody wrote
mtravelkay wrote:

Even at 1 percent for credit cards, it would seem that for most tickets
bought on Expedia, it would be cheaper for them to pay the 45p debit
carc fee. A 100 GBP ticket would result in a 1-4 GBP charge for credit
cards, and only a 45p charge for debit cards.

Real debit cards are not usable on internet. Requires physical presence of
card and entry of PIN, since they enable ATM like transactions live on your
accounts. (and on those of merchant).

Ryanair accept Debit Card payment via internet.
Details are on their site www.ryanair.ie
Old March 31st, 2004, 01:04 PM
Steve

"nobody" wrote in message
As far as merchants who are not honoring debit cards, I'm not sure how

smart
their systems are when they try running a card,

Large outfits, especially internet sites which capture your credit card
information can easily apply some logic to validate a vard either by

obtaining
list of BINs corresponding to debit cards, or perhaps even by having their

own
bank block debit card transactions right away.

I'm thinking it's likely the case -- large merchants have a system which
will identify the BIN and determine if it's a credit or a debit card. I
was going to post a bit in detail about it, but I see you posted about the
BINs in another post. The financial institution I work for uses different
BINs or "prefixes" (all starting with 4's) for Visa cards -- but it's a
different prefix for debts and different for credit. The BINs or "prefixes"
are unique to the financial institution, but the digits after that are
unique identifying your account.

As to the original poster, I strongly suspect a daily spending limit may
have come into place. If you tried putting the $4,500 all at once on a
debit card, it likely declined for that reason and may have also created an
alert with your issuing bank. Whether they'll follow-up on it or not (call
you and ask if you tried to make the purchase) is another story.

If I tried putting $4,500 at once on any of my debit cards, it would
decline... not because of lack of funds, but the daily spending limit. You
can also pay your credit card above and beyond to generate a "credit"
balance -- but whether the institution will generate a refund check
immediately or let it sit as a credit balance for awhile, I'm not sure.

Steve

Old March 31st, 2004, 01:22 PM
Scott

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 23:09:26 -0400, nobody wrote:

Scott wrote:
I would have preferred to use a credit card, but the limit wasn't
enough and my Credit Union won't increase it. I'm thinking of getting
rid of that card and getting one from elsewhere.

With either an ATM, internet or telephone transaction, you can TRANSFER funds
from your chequing
to credit card account and those funds become immediatly available on the
credit card.

(If your credit card is from a different institution and you must use a "pay
bill" option, then that transfer takes days.)

So if you have a credit limit of $1000 and you want to spend $5000 on the
credit card, transfer $5000 to the credit card, and then you can spend $5000.
(or send $4000, spend $5000 with $1000 to be paid on your credit card bill).

Thanks J.F. I will look into that option in the future.
Old March 31st, 2004, 07:07 PM
freeda

I suspect the OP is not in Europe. Some of the American banks seem to
classify bank cards as debit cards, but without some of the usefulness.

Debit cards in Europe work just fine over the internet. Visa debit can
(sometimes) be treated as visa, switch and electron can both be used for
"cardholder not present" transactions.

Electron cards are strictly 'cardholder present' and the magnetic strip has
to work.. ie: they have to swipe as there is no imbossed number to take an
impression. They are given to people with no money, and every transaction is
checked with the bank to make sure the cardholder has enough cash. Solo is
similar ie: the cardholders account balance is checked every time, but it
can be used as 'cardholder not present'

Old March 31st, 2004, 09:16 PM
nobody

Hilary wrote:
Debit cards in Europe work just fine over the internet. Visa debit can
(sometimes) be treated as visa, switch and electron can both be used for
"cardholder not present" transactions.

What is a "debit card" in europe ?

In Canada, Australia, New Zealand, it is essentially your ATM bank card which
can be used at any store. You enter your ATM PIN to OK the transaction, choose
the account, and then the amount is transfered from your account to the
merchant's account (acrosss banks if necessary) instantly.

This works because all banks are member of a single network that permits those
transactions to happen no matter what bank the customer is with and no matter
what bank the merchant is with.

Except for very large chains, a merchant is required to use bank provided POS
machines. (which can also be used for traditional credita card authorizations).

But the debit cards require presence of cardholder.

So, what is a "debit" card in Europe ? Does it go though credit card
facilities for authorisation ? Or is there a single european-wide EFTPOS
network similar to CA/NZ/AU ?
Old March 31st, 2004, 09:28 PM
nobody

Hilary wrote:
Some electron cards, I think those from other European countries, haven't
worked for CNP transactions but UK-issued cards have gone through the last
few times we've tried.

Solo doesn't work for CNP though.

is Electron/Solo a network, or are they "brand names" for cards ?

In Canada for instance, your debit card is your ATM card and is issued by your
bank and has your bank's logo/brand on it. In the back, you have logos for the
various networks on which the card can be used. Interac is the canadian
ATM/EFTPOS network. Cards also can be used on Plus or Cirrus depending on
which US network your bank has subscribed to.

So for instance, if I buy a chocolate bar at the local store, the transaction
is routed by Interac betwene the shop's bank and my bank.

But if I use an ATM in Australia, the transaction is routed to Plus in the USA
which the routes it to my bank in canada. But there are currently no
provisions to use a canadian card in EFTPOS mode (direct debit) in Australia
because Plus doesn't support those.

Are the debit cards in Europe associated with a single account ? Do you use
it as you would a credit card (card number, name, expiry date) ?

In Canada, when you buy stuff at the store, you use your card the same way
you'd use an ATM. Swipe card, enter pin, choose account, and confirm amount to
be widthdrawn.
Old March 31st, 2004, 10:20 PM
freeda

Debit cards in Europe work just fine over the internet. Visa debit
can
(sometimes) be treated as visa, switch and electron can both be used

for
"cardholder not present" transactions.

Electron cards are strictly 'cardholder present' and the magnetic strip

has
to work.. ie: they have to swipe as there is no imbossed number to take

an
impression.

Some electron cards, I think those from other European countries, haven't
worked for CNP transactions but UK-issued cards have gone through the last
few times we've tried.

Solo doesn't work for CNP though.

I assume CNP means customer not present?
I work for an Internet payments provider company, and I can assure you that
Solo does work and Electron is not acceptable (in the Uk at least).