Are Cruise deals over?

Old August 14th, 2004, 05:47 AM
Jeff Coudriet

Default Are Cruise deals over?

That is precisely what has been filling cabins....the lure of a good deal.

Lloyd Parsons wrote:

Of course, they are not thinking that the discounts were part of what
filled those cabins. And as Mason has said, there are other vacations
out there and cruising is not as unique in many ways as it used to be.

Old August 14th, 2004, 01:46 PM
dep_blueman

Yes, I agree a lot of people will continue to use TAs as long as the
current commission structure is in place and as long as cruise lines
don't start offering 'direct booking discounts'.

My thoughts around this is that cruise lines will try to follow the
airline model and (more slowly than the airlines) shrink payments to
agents and introduce incentives to book directly. e.g. "Book this
special Capt. Club offer directly with Celebrity and get a free
somethingorother!" or "Receive free air to Europe when you book a 14
night or longer cruise directly with Celebrity!" I get emails from
the airlines all the time that only apply if I book directly via their
Web site.

I think they will still want to use TAs to attract new customers as it
is great marketing. However, the cruise lines have to be eyeing that
10%-20+% of bookings that is going to TAs today and asking how they
can retain some of that.

Again, all just IMO. I don't have any inside knowledge; just applying
what went on in another travel industry (air). There are a lot of
parallels.

-D

"Dick Goldhaber" wrote in message ...
Just my opinion but if you are not going to get a better price by booking
direct why wouldn't you use a TA?

[snip]

Old August 14th, 2004, 03:02 PM
*bicker*

A Sat, 14 Aug 2004 03:12:41 GMT, Lloyd Parsons
escribió:
My point was that maybe the lack of discounting will hurt the
cruiselines more than they think it will.

I can't see how, as they'll have more direct control over
offering discounting, any time it is warranted.

--
bicker®
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/D...ry_040602.html

Old August 14th, 2004, 03:04 PM
*bicker*

A Sat, 14 Aug 2004 03:22:29 GMT, "John & Beverly"
escribió:
Think corporate scam.

Rather, think "this is the way our laws and the nature of
customers require things to be done."

After a great uproar, the cruises lines will offer less severe changes.
Everyone will cheer that they backed down.
And the cruise lines will actually get the changes they wanted in the first
place.
It is all a game.

Sounds plausible.

And the TAs and the public are the losers.

Only the members of the public who benefited from the old
system. The members of the public who benefit from the new
system will be among the winners.

Old August 14th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Tom & Linda

"Jeff Coudriet" wrote in message
This is a definite problem....and not what I understood the new policy
to be. So there will be no, NO selling of a cruise for less than what
RCCL/X say it should be sold for. My current TA does rebate, so she
would be prohibited from doing this. Hmmmmmm.....I'm rethinking what
lines I'm going to book with now!

Me too.

I already wrote to Celebrity about this.

Told them I might have to take my business and referrals to Princess or HAL.

--Tom